:::Is Any New Truck Worth Buying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: NDL

My main issue is that I will likely get a base truck, with a 4 or V6. GM is the only manufacturer that makes a V6 specifically for it's trucks.

You do realize that all the past trucks have had "passenger car engines" in them, right?

Ford 302/351 - Car engines
Ford 300 6 - Car engine
Ford 4.6 - car engine
Chevy 350 - Car engine
Chevy 4.3 V6 started off life in the 78 Malibu.

Can't speak for Mopar - never have any interest in them as they are not worth the steel.

Of all the things to worry about "car engine" would not even be on the list.

Great post. Actually, my Ranger is equipped with a car engine - the 2.5L Lima. Of all of the engines you listed, I am surprised that the Ford 300 was at one point used in cars.

Here's my issue with engines that are not designed specifically for trucks:

"Car" engines of yesteryear were largely made of iron, as opposed to today's aluminum engines. And there was always an abundance of information (via brochures, magazines, etc.), on how "such and such" engine was beefed up for severe service/duty. Invariably, a catalog would have cutaway pictures, and graphs illustrating torque curves.

Today's marketeers shy away from that, preferring to appeal to "active" lifestyles, or creature comforts. Absent real information, while viewing spec sheets that show high revving engines with high torque peaks...doesn't leave the best impression.

Quote:
If you're looking for affordable, and OK with midsize, take a look at the Nissan Frontier. I was in a similar position recently and ended up with the Frontier. I really thought I wanted the F150 with the 5.0, but loved the Frontier for its price+features and size. If you need something larger that eliminates that option fairly quickly. I think you can get SV models with the 4.0 V6 and 4x4 well under 30k. They are dinosaurs in terms of mechanical tech - no direct injection, turbo, cylinder deactivation, start/stop. But because of this the 4.0 seems pretty reliable with most bugs sorted out.

I notice you are mainly looking at American brands. The Nissan Frontier and Titan are both built in the US (from sourced parts but still). Only driven mine about 2,000 miles so far but I actually love it. Fuel economy has been so-so, mine being the Pro4x model it does slightly worse. But it also takes regular fuel. I'd say its biggest weak point would be rear passenger comfort. The seat is pretty upright.

Best of luck with your new truck. I don't know if the Frontier has the legroom I need, but I have had my eye on it - especially in light of the fact that they're coming out with a new model, which means substantial discounts on the current truck.

The Frontier is a contender for sure. Nissan makes a nice vehicle.

Originally Posted By: drtyler
I would look at the Toyota Tundra as well. Base model has a proven 4.6 V8. I realize you are looking at V6 and 4 cylinder engines, but nothing wrong with these trucks.

The Tundra is a nice truck, though I prefer the efficiency of a four or a six...enter the Tacoma.

Great post. Actually, my Ranger is equipped with a car engine - the 2.5L Lima. Of all of the engines you listed, I am surprised that the Ford 300 was at one point used in cars.

Sssh, that engine started life in the Pinto.
smile.gif
The 2.3/2.5 while a dog is drop dead reliable. I had one in an 86 Mustang - slow but started every time without fail.

The Ford 300 is an ancient engine: Ford Straight 6

Quote:
Today's marketeers shy away from that, preferring to appeal to "active" lifestyles, or creature comforts. Absent real information, while viewing spec sheets that show high revving engines with high torque peaks...doesn't leave the best impression.

It's all down to the design. If the engine is designed for it, no problems. Look at, say the Ford 4.6/5.4/6.8 - high revving engines. Yet they have a reputation of being a very dependable engine. Same with today's GM engines - they rev more than the past and live long lives. Even the Ecoboosts which tend to rev low and have lots of power are well engineered for their applications.

Heck, even that boat anchor 2.3 in my Mustang had 2 pedal positions - on and off. And I used every part of it's 6000 RPM range. Nothing to have it in 2nd gear floored @ 5k going up a hill. Had 175k when I junked it because of the body. And that was with 70's technology.

I've got no doubts my 2 Ecoboosts will go to 150-200k without issues. One @ 116k is 3/4 of the way there.

Buy what you like and I'd not worry about car vs truck engines.

Take a look at the Nissan Frontier.

I second this suggestion. Nice truck with a nice, solid engine. 265 HP pushes it along quite nicely. You could certainly do alot worse.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
We got a loaded 2014 RAM almost 2 years ago for under 40k total.

It seems to have way more stuff than we need, powered by 5.7/8speed/3.91 gearing. Averaging 17-18 with leadfoot wifey, over 50k miles and absolutely flawless.

One of the most rewarding drivetrains to actually drive IMO. Very smooth and powerful, almost eerie how smooth 395 hp can be...

I'm very curious to drive since all I hear is that 8 speed trans is money...

Truly it is. Both my 6.1 and the 5.7 in the RAM are really smooth and quiet. The 5.7 is actually tuned very aggressively and starts a beautiful raspy snarl as the cam moves smoothly into position and it hits about 4k rpm. Awfully entrancing to just keep hitting gears so swift and smooth. And both will put around town all day at 1500 rpm barely making any noise at all.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I think that combo would get a few mpg more if they didn't sound so good. Every Ram Hemi owner puts his foot into it every 5 seconds to hear the glorious sounds- lol

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
We got a loaded 2014 RAM almost 2 years ago for under 40k total.

It seems to have way more stuff than we need, powered by 5.7/8speed/3.91 gearing. Averaging 17-18 with leadfoot wifey, over 50k miles and absolutely flawless.

One of the most rewarding drivetrains to actually drive IMO. Very smooth and powerful, almost eerie how smooth 395 hp can be...

The HEMI symphony. Not only is it smooth, quiet, and loaded with power, but it is also one of the most reliable V8's with cylinder deactivation and variable cam timing. Many millions on the road and running well...

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Bought a 2001 Ram 2500 and ran it for 14 years. Not one major issue. Had my 2014 Ram for 3 years now. No issues at all. The ZF8HP transmission and 5.7L Hemi combination are unbeatable (smooth as glass and powerful). MDS is seamless. I have had a number of GM and Ford trucks in the past. Major engine and transmission issues with all of them.

I've had similar experiences with Chrysler products.

The Tundra is a nice truck, though I prefer the efficiency of a four or a six...enter the Tacoma.

Just a heads up, I get better gas mileage with my GM 5.3L V8 than I did with the Toyota 3.5L V6 in my Tacoma. Head over to TacomaWorld and you'll see it's not just me. There are a lot of reasons to buy a Tacoma (I loved mine, it was just a little small) but efficiency is not one of them.

I agree with you 100%. That is what influenced my decision to buy a Tundra V8 (1st generation) over the Tacoma. Very little difference in MPG (and price in 2004).

Originally Posted By: glock19

Just a heads up, I get better gas mileage with my GM 5.3L V8 than I did with the Toyota 3.5L V6 in my Tacoma. Head over to TacomaWorld and you'll see it's not just me. There are a lot of reasons to buy a Tacoma (I loved mine, it was just a little small) but efficiency is not one of them.

Last edited:
I like my used truck and I work it, pulling loads hauling dirt..what its made for. It has no traction control no cylinder deactivation...just ABS and airbags. I can chirp the tires when it grabs 2nd. It is a man's truck without the poseur lift big wheels etc. It get's the work done without a hiccup. It was paid for with cash.

I would much rather have it than a new one....

I agree with you 100%. That is what influenced my decision to buy a Tundra V8 (1st generation) over the Tacoma. Very little difference in MPG (and price in 2004).

Me too, and I was looking back in 2013. Taco might eek out an mpg or two, but obviously with a much smaller interior. Maybe the latest Taco fixes that, haven't paid attention. Me, that was back when I didn't trust the cylinder deactivation, so I didn't want any "fancy" tech. And I don't think I really need it either, not if I keep my annual mileage below 10k.

Is the ford truck regular v6 not the same as mustang v6. I think it has more torque than my 4.6 v8 but i may be wrong. In 99 i got my expi for $24k 2wd xlt no leather. Msrp was around 30k or 32k. I could have gotten a ford f150 crew cab at that price too.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I agree. Some buyers don't mind paying $50K+ for a truck.

Problem is that many buy much more of a truck than what's really needed.

Or don't need a truck in the first place.
wink.gif

It's pretty amazing. You can get a new truck without spending an insane amount of money, and still have a decent engine option, provided you forego the 4x4 and the extended cab, which isn't an issue for me. But, if you want to dump $80,000, they'll let you.

Yeah, sure...except that 99% of trucks on the lots are extended cabs, 99% are 4x4s, and most are loaded.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
Trucks are popular. I ask people why they daily drive trucks and most tell me they just like being in a bigger vehicle. Ok. I get by with a car on the daily and I have my beater F150 that I love. Yeah, it won't haul a big old trailer but I don't need to. Thankfully.

I work with several tall people who like trucks for the interior space. Like me, they do not like the low rooflines of too many modern cars. One dude drives a Ram because he flat does not fit in most cars.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: Garak
I agree. Some buyers don't mind paying $50K+ for a truck.

Problem is that many buy much more of a truck than what's really needed.

Or don't need a truck in the first place.
wink.gif

It's pretty amazing. You can get a new truck without spending an insane amount of money, and still have a decent engine option, provided you forego the 4x4 and the extended cab, which isn't an issue for me. But, if you want to dump $80,000, they'll let you.

Yeah, sure...except that 99% of trucks on the lots are extended cabs, 99% are 4x4s, and most are loaded.

That's why people are financing these trucks for 84 months.

Originally Posted By: supton

Me too, and I was looking back in 2013. Taco might eek out an mpg or two, but obviously with a much smaller interior. Maybe the latest Taco fixes that, haven't paid attention. Me, that was back when I didn't trust the cylinder deactivation, so I didn't want any "fancy" tech. And I don't think I really need it either, not if I keep my annual mileage below 10k.

The latest Tacoma is almost cartoonish-it is bloated, and stupidly tall (even the 2WD).

Originally Posted By: E150GT
Trucks are popular. I ask people why they daily drive trucks and most tell me they just like being in a bigger vehicle. Ok. I get by with a car on the daily and I have my beater F150 that I love. Yeah, it won't haul a big old trailer but I don't need to. Thankfully.

I work with several tall people who like trucks for the interior space. Like me, they do not like the low rooflines of too many modern cars. One dude drives a Ram because he flat does not fit in most cars.

+1
And i cant stand the little windows especially in the second row of todays cars and small suvs.

I was nervous too trading in my 1994 Dodge Ram 4x4. I even went overkill with a 3/4 ton because I thought all the new 1500s we're little more than jacked up El Camino's. Now after 11 years with the Dodge 2500, I know the next one would even be nicer if I didn't have a lifetime warranty. Believe me you will love the new truck and look back and think what a phre historic wreck I had.

You bet, and I can place utility in a truck, but using it as a bus isn't one of those useful things.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back