Is A7/B7 the new A5/B5

A5B5 is a one size fits all for non scr/nox gas and diesel small engines. 5w20 in that is one size fits all along with more fuel economy than the earlier spec of 5w30.

True Mustang says 5w20 for street applications but if someone drives a mustang like a soccer mom driving a kia soul I’d be surprised so a thicker weight oil won’t be a bad idea. Just go with a good 5w50.

A5B5 is a one size fits all for non scr/nox gas and diesel small engines. 5w20 in that is one size fits all along with more fuel economy than the earlier spec of 5w30.

True Mustang says 5w20 for street applications but if someone drives a mustang like a soccer mom driving a kia soul I’d be surprised so a thicker weight oil won’t be a bad idea. Just go with a good 5w50.
Don't you go by this train of thought:

"Since thicker oil doesn't transfer heat as well as thinner oil, operating temperatures will increase, possibly leading to accelerated chemical break down (called “oxidation“) and harmful sludge and deposits."

Also the tolerances of a new engine are very tight, should I not move to a thicker oil when the engine has X thousand miles on the clock

Last edited:
I think I will be using Valvoline SynPower FE 5w-30 A7/B7 after break-in, reading the posts on this thread. Thanks chaps

My take from this is A7/B7 is an alternative spec and not meant to replace A5/B5. Simply has some improvements applicable to DI engines, which the Mustang 5.0 is not.

M1 0w40 FS would be my pick but can be expensive here in the UK.

I do like Fuchs Titan XTL Flex 3 which I have in my Duster at the moment. It's a 5w40 ACEA C3 oil that has a load of manufacturer approvals including the rather stringent Porsche C40. Think I paid less than £35/5litres last time I bought it.

"Since thicker oil doesn't transfer heat as well as thinner oil, operating temperatures will increase, possibly leading to accelerated chemical break down (called “oxidation“) and harmful sludge and deposits."

Also the tolerances of a new engine are very tight, should I not move to a thicker oil when the engine has X thousand miles on the clock
Good old tolerances. It just keeps on going.

I think you mean clearances, not tolerances.

And they have not changed in 50+ years. Thinner oils are just for fuel economy and emissions.

I think you mean clearances, not tolerances.

And they have not changed in 50+ years. Thinner oils are just for fuel economy and emissions.
Going by this, a thicker oil will always provide better wear protection, and will not be too viscous for the pump?

Going by this, a thicker oil will always provide better wear protection, and will not be too viscous for the pump?

Within reason, yes.

Think of it this way, your 5w20 oil is massively thicker at 5°c than a 0w40 or 5w40 would be at 50°c, let alone 100°c.

There's Ford Coyotes all over the US fitted to trucks that see nothing else but bulk 15w40 or 10w30 mineral oil and live long long lives. Don't overthink it.

Back