Is A7/B7 the new A5/B5

As title above states, oils seem to be highly regulated lately, to their detriment. However a7/b7 seems to be a step back in time, with higher levels of saps but continuing the base oil quality of a5/b5.

Do you guys think an A7/B7 will work better in a car which requires ACEA A5/B5? I am directing this question towards performance engines such as the coyote. Let me know your thoughts

As title above states, oils seem to be highly regulated lately, to their detriment. However a7/b7 seems to be a step back in time, with higher levels of saps but continuing the base oil quality of a5/b5.

Do you guys think an A7/B7 will work better in a car which requires ACEA A5/B5? I am directing this question towards performance engines such as the coyote. Let me know your thoughts
A7/B7 contains the same LSPI and TGDI chain wear tests which are part of API SP. These tests are not part of A5/B5

Both have the same maximum Sulphated Ash requirements so I'm not sure what you mean by oils having been detrimentally regulated.. TBN is hard to compare because they use different test methods. In any case it's probably irrelevant with ULSG. Basically the requirements under these specifications are identical save for the LSPI/TGDI tests.

A7/B7 contains the same LSPI and TGDI chain wear tests which are part of API SP. These tests are not part of A5/B5

Both have the same maximum Sulphated Ash requirements so I'm not sure what you mean by oils having been detrimentally regulated.. TBN is hard to compare because they use different test methods. In any case it's probably irrelevant with ULSG. Basically the requirements under these specifications are identical save for the LSPI/TGDI tests.
Thanks for the fast response

Do you think due to higher saps A7/B7/API SP will work better than the previous manufacturer recommended A5/B5 in my Mustang GT?

Last edited:
Thanks for the fast response

Do you think due to higher saps A7/B7/API SP will work better than the previous manufacturer recommended A5/B5 in my Mustang GT?
SAPS levels are identical. I would shop based on whatever Ford recommends.

Note: The HTHS limits of A7/B7 keep you at a 30 grade.

SAPS levels are identical. I would shop based on whatever Ford recommends.

Note: The HTHS limits of A7/B7 keep you at a 30 grade.
Great, would you mind listing a few brands you recommend in 5w20 weight?

I was thinking Ravenol SFE which meets the ford WSS-M2C948-B approval and contain esters which, from what I can see, make a superior oil

Millers was recommended on my FB thread

Last edited:
Just find a good, name-brand ACEA A5/B5. It will work well. Spend extra for Ravenol if you wish but that's a personal preference
Thanks, maybe im worrying too much. I would rather buy cheap and change often, but after my last oil pump failed I am wary of cheaper/substandard oils

oil choice isn't going to cause the oil pump to fail. That's a manufacturing defect.
Could the oil affect lash/valvetrain/lifters ? I know the previous owner was using oil which the car didn't like by the sounds coming from it when I initially bought the car. After changing oil it was great for a while...before the pump broke

The reason I initially posted was because I think the a5/b5 oil does not contain enough saps, the bottles always say mid saps, which is now being increased with the a7/b7 standard which usually state full saps on the label, this being better for performance engines, from what I can tell

Last edited:
Could the oil affect lash/valvetrain/lifters ? I know the previous owner was using oil which the car didn't like by the sounds coming from it when I initially bought the car. After changing oil it was great for a while...before the pump broke

The reason I initially posted was because I think the a5/b5 oil does not contain enough saps, the bottles always say mid saps, which is now being increased with the a7/b7 standard which usually state full saps on the label, this being better for performance engines, from what I can tell
Oils don’t “contain SAPS” as such, it’s a series of parameters for oil. Some you want, some you don’t. Some such as the sulfated ash aren’t even in the oil.

The API SN (ford 948-b and what owners manual recommends) appear to be for small ecoboost type engines and with low/mid saps, which is why I am searching for other oils which are not specified for my car

The A7/B7 standard also says it is backward compatible with A5/B5 which should mean it's OK for my mustang, right?

Last edited:
The A7/B7 standard also says it is backward compatible with A5/B5 which should mean it's OK for my mustang, right?

By ACEAs own definition if a new test significantly changes the performance requirements of a category then a new category must be introduced. The creation of ACEA A7/B7 builds on the requirements and updates of ACEA A5/B5, with the introduction of three new performance tests:

TestAdditional engine tests above A5/B5-21
CEC L-114-19 Toyota Turbocharger Compression Deposits (diesel) 
ASTM D8291 Sequence IXLow Speed Pre-Ignition GDI Turbo
ASTM D8291 Sequence XChain Wear GDI

Back