2021 Ford Fiesta ST 1.5L EcoBoost – M2C-960A1

I have same vehicle. When and how donwe have this wet oil pump belt changed? Im at 104,000 miles on mine already
What year is your car? If it’s an early build then its oil pump might be gear-driven, not belt-driven.

Easiest way to know is the sump capacity. The gear-driven pump engines have a smaller (~4.8L) oil capacity, when the belt-driven pump engines have a ~6.1L oil capacity.

Even if your car has a belt, there is no replacement interval. However, other Fords with wet timing belts are usually replaced at 10 years or 240,000km, so that is when I would change my oil pump belt.

Resurrecting my own thread here as I just can’t make my mind up…

I’ve taken delivery of my new Fiesta ST and now can’t decide what oil to run. Sorry.
This car will be a keeper for as long as I am allowed to drive it into the EV age, so I want it to last.

Do I run the 5W-20 as discussed before, or is it a reasonable idea to run a d1g3 5W-30?

I can get Valvoline SynPower 5W-30 d1g3 easily and fairly cheaply so I’ve been considering it. It’s that or just run the recommended 5W-20 and forget about it.
You have reached a fork in the road, and you need to decide which way to turn.

Do you follow what you believe to be a reasonable decision based on your internal view of science and engineering, with a small probability that you might be wrong.

Or do you trust the company engineers and lawyers to look after you, follow their advice, with the hope that if something goes wrong your warranty with be the answer to all your problems, and they will stand by you through thick and thin.

I know what I would do, but I manage a material science research lab, where I am often called in to settle arguments between to opposing engineering teams.

I also know that the probability of your car have oil related issues with regular changes of 0W20 or 5W20 or 5W30 is so remotely low, that you have better things to worry about.

You have reached a fork in the road, and you need to decide which way to turn.

Do you follow what you believe to be a reasonable decision based on your internal view of science and engineering, with a small probability that you might be wrong.

Or do you trust the company engineers and lawyers to look after you, follow their advice, with the hope that if something goes wrong your warranty with be the answer to all your problems, and they will stand by you through thick and thin.

I know what I would do, but I manage a material science research lab, where I am often called in to settle arguments between to opposing engineering teams.

I also know that the probability of your car have oil related issues with regular changes of 0W20 or 5W20 or 5W30 is so remotely low, that you have better things to worry about.
I stuck to my guns and ended up putting Magnatec DX 5W-30 in it. M2C961-A1 approved, Dex1gen3, SP/GF-6A. The engine is noticeably quieter now than any other 1.5 EcoBoost I’ve driven.
I’m happy and the engine seems happy. Plus I know Ford aftersales is absolutely useless anyway so even with the correct oil they won’t help me anyway.

Reactions: SR5
I stuck to my guns and ended up putting Magnatec DX 5W-30 in it. M2C961-A1 approved, Dex1gen3, SP/GF-6A. The engine is noticeably quieter now than any other 1.5 EcoBoost I’ve driven.
Yep, I would have done the same. But the decision was yours to make. It would have been fine either way.
Plus I know Ford aftersales is absolutely useless anyway so even with the correct oil they won’t help me anyway.
A friend at work has a new car (Japanese Brand) with lots of electronic issues they are trying to get fixed under warranty. According to them, the local company is doing nothing to help and nothing is being fixed. But I think all companies are the same, warranty is mostly to help sales people make the sale. Once they have your money, they just ghost you, unless you lawyer up or pay up.

Last edited:
Back