Iphone 4 Is not Impressive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

IMO that is one of the things that makes the iphone great - it was well thought out and works well for a LOT of stuff. It doesnt just meet some numbers to sell units. (flame suit on).

Yep, it's the Honda of phones. Hondas in the 80's did a lot of things well. Seldom did the function ever get a "10" but 8's & 9's were across the board.

Same with the iPhone. It's a really good product.

To carry the Honda analogy further, the latest antenna problems with the new I phone are analogues to Honda's early 5 speed automatic transmissions.

I am happy with my Droid Incredible by HTC on Verizon's network.

It exceeds my expectations. Whatever the case of MP it has a superior camera to the iPhone newest version and the prior one.

I think phone choice is a personal thing anyway.

Let's see who comes out with the first phone to incorporate a High Speed camera into the form factor. It's already been done with digital cameras. HS Camera + 8MP would steal all the business.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
The real reason why Steve's iPhone 4 didn't work during his presentation:
JU01p.jpg

I have the new iPhone 4 and it's by far the best mobile smart phone I've used. The camera, screen, HD video recording, speed and simple functionality of it really make it a well designed device. The touch screen works better than any other touch screen smart phone out there. Apple has done a great job in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Marukai
Let's see who comes out with the first phone to incorporate a High Speed camera into the form factor. It's already been done with digital cameras. HS Camera + 8MP would steal all the business.

I agree with that. Especially when combined with all the functionality of an iPod Touch. A single device that does most everything you'd want. And downstream revenue with apps, music, videos, etc.

Win-win for both the consumer and the manufacturer.

Something that is sorely missing is a good rating system of how different phones function as two way radios under weak signal conditions. That makes a big difference on whether you are able to complete a call or not out in the boonies or in any other weak signal area.

My solution when I travel off the beaten path is to carry two decent perfoming phones, one on Verizons network (CDMA), the other on ATT's (GSM). It fun pulling out a cheap simple phone and loaning to a friend whose iPhone or Blackberry won't get a usable signal.

My iPhone works great in my Honda, lol. Which I just ran over 12k on M1 0W20, BTW. Seriously, I was a diehard Mac user for years until my mac-hating wife made me buy a Vista machine. I'm still not too happy with that. To make it better, she then decided she had to have an iPhone 3G. She's been thrilled with it. So I used it as an opening to get a 3GS back in the fall. Love it. I don't even give out my work phone number anymore. Just have 'em call my iPhone. Seriously, decked out in an Otterbox Defender case, it's a great work phone. And the kids were so entertained by all the apps, we bought each one (3 kids) an ipod Touch for their birthdays this year.

Anyone notice on the Droid commercials that "droid" is a registered trademark of Lucas films?

Looks like George is raking it in with cell phones now.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Anyone notice on the Droid commercials that "droid" is a registered trademark of Lucas films?

Looks like George is raking it in with cell phones now.

Speaking of Lucas...

The iPhone 4 works for Yoda
How to make an iPhone 4 work

Then others say their blackberries are laughing... I have an iphone for personal use and a bb for work. The iphone browses the web better, is better integrated, has better maps, etc. About the only thing that I prefer on the bb is the battery life and absolutely wonderful keyboard. And the bb is likely roughly the same price as the iphone too.

I'm in the same situation. I have a iPhone 3G for my personal phone and a BB for work. The iPhone is better for personal use (geocaching, maps, web browsing, music, etc.) and the BB is better for work (email, battery life, etc.).

I don't own any other Apple products but I think my phone is great for what it is and it only cost $99. I have a sizable discount for AT&T through work but it seems like most of their smart phones are hamstrung in one way or another.

I didn't buy it because I'm some kind of Apple loyalist, nor did I buy it because it's what the cool kids on the block own. The price was right, it can do what I want it to do, and was a huge upgrade from my previous phone.

I think their latest press releaase: they discovered there's a "flaw" in the way it calculates signal strength, is a joke.

They're going to patch the software so that the phone displays more bars. Problem is the phone will still drop calls if you hold it just right, despite how many bars you have on the display.

Compared to my gen1 iPhone it's not much faster, however I do envy the better camera. My next phone is a Driod with Verizon.

Incorrect from what I've read. Supposedly, the phone is, under some circumstances, displaying too many bars. Yet, when signal truly is affected by the "death grip," apparently the display reflects either a more genuine reading or it exaggerates in the opposite manner? I don't know... But it isn't just a manner of adding more bars.

I've yet to sample the iPhone 4, but I do have a 3GS. I can tell you, even the 3GS is much faster than the 3G. My wife's 3G is not a phone I could live with. I've upgraded my 3GS phone to iOS4. I'm mixed on it, at least on running it on my phone. Yes, it does a lot more. But I have had a momentarily frozen screen or two.

Realistically, iPhones are just great phones. Does that mean there can't be a better phone? Nope. But does that mean it's an overpriced piece of junk at $199? Hardly.

Wow. The haters in this thread are hilarious.
You guys should stick to oil. Seriously.
Every new piece of hardware has glitches. This is no exception. But to deride Apple, Jobs, and those of us that happily use their products is childish and ignorant.
Its the best one out there. Period. Droid can't even use proxies. Can't talk and surf simultaneously. Can't video chat. Should I go on? iPhone has the best screen of any device. The camera? Only noobs think megapixel numbers tell the story.
So, if you want something else, go for it. If you don't like the iPhone, don't buy it.
But do me a favor, enough with the Apple hate. Do it on your own time. You're only showing how ignorant you are here.

This thread is titled "Iphone 4 is not impressive" so I hope you're not reading it hoping that people will glorify it?

Not hoping that people will glorify it, but Ive yet to see a compelling argument as to how BB or droid phones are better or superior.

I did put Ios 4 on my 3GS today. I noted against another 3GS that mine is reporting slightly lower bars.

It also seems that the battery is draining a bit faster... But multitasking on any platform will do that.

Purple's response just supports the fanboyism that people in here claim.

Quote:
Every new piece of hardware has glitches. This is no exception. But to deride Apple, Jobs, and those of us that happily use their products is childish and ignorant.

Yes, but the thing(antenna) that the CEO of the company was boasting about ending up being a design flaw is just really funny. And Apple's response to it's disgruntled customers is less than humble.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
This thread is titled "Iphone 4 is not impressive" so I hope you're not reading it hoping that people will glorify it?

You're kidding, right? Not glorifying and talking absolute bologna are two different things friend.
I expect more from this site, but guess I was wrong.
I have five clients and 13 coworkers with the new iPhone, mine is on backorder. One of them thinks his signal is worse. One said he dropped a couple calls. All but the one say it's significantly better than their 3G and 3GS phones.
But when I come here and other places, and read of people without one talking smack, it truly intrigues me. And as usual, it's mostly Apple hate. Not sure if it's just jealousy or what, but I find it nauseating after a while.

Not hoping that people will glorify it, but Ive yet to see a compelling argument as to how BB or droid phones are better or superior.

I did put Ios 4 on my 3GS today. I noted against another 3GS that mine is reporting slightly lower bars.

It also seems that the battery is draining a bit faster... But multitasking on any platform will do that.

We noticed the same thing. Grab "Free Memory Lite" for $0.99 at the app store, run it in the background a couple times per day. It will clean up background processes automatically and keep your battery life as high as OS 3 or higher...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back