Iphone 4 Is not Impressive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tempest
Originally Posted By: Marukai
Why dont people read specs and features before buying things?

Apple_kool-aid_sm.jpg

huh?

Quote:
Why dont people read specs and features before buying things? Come on people Wake Up

Why do people care what other people are buying? If they like it and it makes them happy then let them be. Why give a ...?

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Why do people care what other people are buying? If they like it and it makes them happy then let them be. Why give a ...?

Because everyone has an opinion. Something wrong with that?

Apple wants headlines and they are making headlines. Maybe not the kind they want when there are problems.

Originally Posted By: mormit

Apple wants headlines and they are making headlines. Maybe not the kind they want when there are problems.

If the people have an opinion that the iPhone sucks then no, but to assume people who buy it are unintelligent because they didn't "wake up" then yes I have a problem with that.

Originally Posted By: mormit

If the people have an opinion that the iPhone sucks then no, but to assume people who buy it are unintelligent because they didn't "wake up" then yes I have a problem with that.

People that buy the Iphone are usually diehard Apple fans or they buy it for the simple fact that everyone els has one, so it must be the coolest phone. As I previously stated, I have yet to figure out what's so good about buying Apple products over windows machines. People claim that they want a Mac because of less viruses. The solution to that is to get a good Virus Suite. People bashed Vista and said "I want a Mac now". Windows 7 is worlds difference over Vista. Apple has yet to come out the Intel "i" processors in it's entry level MacBook Pro. The Airbook is a complete joke. The Vaio Z runs circles around it for slightly more money.

I'm not saying people that buy the Iphone are stupid. It's more of a common sense and doing a through amount of homework before shelling out $200. There are many devices that exceed apples Iphone 4 specs that can be had for the same $$ or less. I think of it as sort of buying a used car without doing your homework even though their completely different items.

I for one tend to do a through reading up of things before I spend my hard earned $$ on it. Some people don't have the time and patience to read up on pros and cons. Commercials and selling tactics are what many people fall for.

OK, let me get this straight...

The Droid costs more than the iphone on an MSRP basis, but the iphone now can do multitasking - which was the one benefit I could see of the droid.

So the droid is more expensive, and multitasks just like the iphone... what does the droid do better then?

Then others say their blackberries are laughing... I have an iphone for personal use and a bb for work. The iphone browses the web better, is better integrated, has better maps, etc. About the only thing that I prefer on the bb is the battery life and absolutely wonderful keyboard. And the bb is likely roughly the same price as the iphone too.

So I dont see the compelling benefit to the droid or bb any more than the iphone...

The whole iphone and Apple thing just seems ridiculous to me.

I'm guessing that Steve Jobs has plenty of friends at the major media outlets that always seem to drive this cult worshiping of products that honestly are not that amazing.

Apple+Segway= undeserved hype

Still don't see a compelling reason why an iphone as a smart phone is "ridiculous" compared to the other options...

Sure folks camping out for one is silly, but is it any more silly than folks camping out to get tickets to a concert?

Of course it is easy to dislike something because it is popular and successful. Same reason lots of folks didnt like MS back in the day...

I'd love to have an Iphone. Having an Ipod Touch for the past year or so has started making me wish I had an Iphone. Then I wouldn't have to take my phone and my Ipod out to the car with me every day.

When I got my current LG flip phone on a 3yr contract I could never have afford the IPhone but now they're at a price level that I can get one once my contract is up. I'm not an expert on phones and I'm sure lots of them do some things better than the Iphone, but people can't argue that it's not a good phone. If I was buying right now I'd just get the 3GS because of price, but when my contract is up in over a year I'll probably be able to get the Iphone 4. Unlike a lot of people though I won't be going out and getting the next new thing that comes out. I'll have it at least 3 years, probably 5+

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

The Droid costs more than the iphone on an MSRP basis, but the iphone now can do multitasking - which was the one benefit I could see of the droid.

So the droid is more expensive, and multitasks just like the iphone... what does the droid do better then?

Then others say their blackberries are laughing... I have an iphone for personal use and a bb for work. The iphone browses the web better, is better integrated, has better maps, etc. About the only thing that I prefer on the bb is the battery life and absolutely wonderful keyboard. And the bb is likely roughly the same price as the iphone too.

So I dont see the compelling benefit to the droid or bb any more than the iphone...

It's not so much about the benefits of one over the other, but rather a hardware offering. The Iphone camera is only 5mp whereas many of the newer phones are sporting 8 or 12mp. The Iphone front camera is also outdated because it's VGA and the Droid is 1.3mp. The Droid screen is more appealing to me because of it's large 4.3" vs Iphone 3.5" The bigger screen may seem overly bulky, but I would think that it's better for web surfing and general multimedia. The Iphone does has a higher resolution, but I don't think that's a good enough reason to get it.

You want to know why the android OS is so much better? Because they dont dictate to you what you can and can not do with your phone! Apple has complete control of your phone. Sure you can jail break it and void your warranty. No such issues with an android powered phone. I myself wont buy anything made by apple. Anything you can do with an iphone you can do with an android phone. Apple made a big deal about the video calling. Big whoop! The EVO 4G already had that feature before apple came out with it. That is just an example. Plus itunes is absolutely the worst piece of software I have ever had to deal with and I deal with a ton of software.

As a matter of fact I just bought my first android powered phone. I picked up a Motorola i1 Nextel (boost) that just got released and am using it with unlimited everything and no contract for $50 a month. My reception is fantastic no matter how I hold my phone. Calls are clearer then ANY CDMA carrier and direct connect works perfectly. I know a lot of people with nextel and I have been with nextel for over 5 years now. Always have good reception where ever I go.

As far as the BB goes they cant really be compared. BB's are business oriented phones. My wifes Bold is a fantastic phone and work machine.

Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro

You want to know why the android OS is so much better? Because they dont dictate to you what you can and can not do with your phone! Apple has complete control of your phone. Sure you can jail break it and void your warranty. No such issues with an android powered phone. I myself wont buy anything made by apple. Anything you can do with an iphone you can do with an android phone. Apple made a big deal about the video calling. Big whoop! The EVO 4G already had that feature before apple came out with it. That is just an example. Plus itunes is absolutely the worst piece of software I have ever had to deal with and I deal with a ton of software.

As a matter of fact I just bought my first android powered phone. I picked up a Motorola i1 Nextel (boost) that just got released and am using it with unlimited everything and no contract for $50 a month. My reception is fantastic no matter how I hold my phone. Calls are clearer then ANY CDMA carrier and direct connect works perfectly. I know a lot of people with nextel and I have been with nextel for over 5 years now. Always have good reception where ever I go.

As far as the BB goes they cant really be compared. BB's are business oriented phones. My wifes Bold is a fantastic phone and work machine.

Actually, if you get one from AT&T, they are very locked up just like the iPhone. Android by itself doens't guarantee it is unlocked. If AT&T wants the phone to be locked, that's what you are going to get even if it is an Android phone.

The Android is going to an LCD based screen as Samsung, the lone supplier of the AMOLED screens, it saving it's production for it's own devices (afforementioned).

Once the new production facility goes online, Samsung will be able to produce 10x the capacity it now does.

Originally Posted By: Marukai
It's not so much about the benefits of one over the other, but rather a hardware offering. The Iphone camera is only 5mp whereas many of the newer phones are sporting 8 or 12mp. The Iphone front camera is also outdated because it's VGA and the Droid is 1.3mp. The Droid screen is more appealing to me because of it's large 4.3" vs Iphone 3.5" The bigger screen may seem overly bulky, but I would think that it's better for web surfing and general multimedia. The Iphone does has a higher resolution, but I don't think that's a good enough reason to get it.

Not to knock your comments, but the advertising departments got you there.

In certain situations, like low light, bigger pixels can be superior to smaller ones. So, for the same die size, there are real benefits to a lower mP camera over a higher one. It is mostly in marketing.

Some huge gains were made when DSLRs went from ever more tiny pixels to fewer, larger pixels in FF units like the Nikon D700. Pixels sell units to the uninformed. For an all around camera, Id want better low-light performance (based upon experience using my iphone camera) and fewer pixels. For a computer screen or printing from 8x10 or smaller, there will be no real difference between 5 and 8.

And anything worth photographing really needs $1700 worth of lens behind it to do it right. No camera phone will ever meet the quality of a real camera, even a P&S.

And on the phone, all I care about is form factor. There is a thin droid, maybe thinner than the iphone. But if a phone doesnt fit in my pocket of my pants or shirt without me feeling it, then it is worthless to me. 4.3" would be nice, assuming it isnt too thick or bulky... But if resolution starts to be noticable, then it is just a tradeoff and not necessarily what I'd want.

IMO that is one of the things that makes the iphone great - it was well thought out and works well for a LOT of stuff. It doesnt just meet some numbers to sell units. (flame suit on).

IMO that is one of the things that makes the iphone great - it was well thought out and works well for a LOT of stuff. It doesnt just meet some numbers to sell units. (flame suit on).

Yep, it's the Honda of phones. Hondas in the 80's did a lot of things well. Seldom did the function ever get a "10" but 8's & 9's were across the board.

Same with the iPhone. It's a really good product.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: 97f150
Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
My blackberry laughs at this Iphone mess.

as does mine

I don't have Blackberry, but I'm sure my son's Blackberry is laughing.

My Blackberry Pearl just broke a rib LOL'ing !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back