Interesting Read - $500 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you read it, I think he says $200 oil comes first.....

Oils current decline at the moment is only going to contribute to higher prices in the future.

What is the time frame on it? Thats harder to peg, and if I could peg it to a specific time I would make lots of money.

If there is no investment in alternatives then the only choice is oil? Where is all the investment at right now???

Anyone?

My feeling is Boone Pickens has it right. Nat Gas for our vehicles is where we need to go. Only three problems, the lack of a resonably price nat gas conversion for current vehicles. The current prices being mentioned are $2500 up. Also in the entire KC metro area, there is only one CNG refueling station. The expense of the home PHILL unit is also another inhibitor.

Last edited:
If oil gets $500.00 per barrel the payback for a conversion would be pretty good depending upon the price of N.G.. I am sure the cars would be converted by new car sales.

Quote:
My feeling is Boone Pickens has it right. Nat Gas for our vehicles is where we need to go.

What do you think the price of NG will do if you convert every vehicle on road to it?

You may want to look into Pickens and see why he supports NG.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:
My feeling is Boone Pickens has it right. Nat Gas for our vehicles is where we need to go.

What do you think the price of NG will do if you convert every vehicle on road to it?

You may want to look into Pickens and see why he supports NG.

Boone is quite a character, rich sumbitch. My guess is that the most that would ever be converted would be 30-40%. Just a guess on my part. But it sure is someone different than the Arabs and the Exxons of the world to give our money to. When gas was $3.50 CNG was selling for $2.04 here in KC.

He gives a lot of money to Oklahoma State University. Don't know if it only for sports, but IIRC it was $162,000,000. I think his wind power initiative is what we need if we are serious about pure electric vehicles, or for processing the hydrogen for the fuel cell cars. Does not make sense to make it using coal or nat gas.

REad the latest New scientist during the week.

The US could make 95% of it's electricity using totally renewable means for $4.4T...$1T would be the first 4 of a 20 year plan, and lower electricity prices for consumers, industry, and electric cars.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
REad the latest New scientist during the week.

The US could make 95% of it's electricity using totally renewable means for $4.4T...$1T would be the first 4 of a 20 year plan, and lower electricity prices for consumers, industry, and electric cars.

Well, I tend to doubt the costs and the benefits ..but what's it really matter? Eisenhower promoted nuclear energy on the notion that we would be down to paying an annual maintenance charge instead of an electric bill.

..but I see no reason to oppose increased utilization of NG in any form. What's the problem with that. It will be opening a new market ..or expanded market for the product. Now I don't think it's a panacea ..but a transitional or intermediate step toward energy independence. No one should rationally oppose that. It's stupid to pay others for that which you can do yourself.

In reality any expansion in available energy will enable us to expand our usage of it ..expand our population with everyone enjoying present levels of consumption ..but they don't allow us to shoot unwanted invaders ..nor allow us to exercise sensible genetic hygiene ...so
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Well, I tend to doubt the costs and the benefits ..but what's it really matter? Eisenhower promoted nuclear energy on the notion that we would be down to paying an annual maintenance charge instead of an electric bill.

Sort of agree and sort of disagree.

the nookularisation that you are talking about past tense was introducing (relatively) small increments into your growing market.

To introduce 15 to 20% renewables over the next 5 years increases the supply side markedly, and will have no option but to depress prices (which will mean no monetary ROI on the new plant, so Private Industry won't touch it).

In my state, average pool wholesale prices are running low 3c per KwHr (end user is paying 14c). Peak demand days, the spot price runs up to $1,000 per KwHr (and the end user pays 14c, unless on variable payment plans, disconnects etc.).

Every generating company makes the greatest percentage of their annual profit in a few hot/cold days...increasingly so with reduced excess capacity....they can make more money losing a unit than keeping it in some days.

Only thing is, there are 8 stations (2-4 units each) in the state. The next station is in planning stages, but when it comes in, it will represent around 8% of the market.

The modelling to date indicates that this new station will destroy prices for at least 6-8 years, and virtually eliminate the high priced days.

Introducing a new station, or a handful into the US market, and you wouldn't see a blip...10-20% increase and you would.

..but I see no reason to oppose increased utilization of NG in any form. What's the problem with that. It will be opening a new market ..or expanded market for the product. Now I don't think it's a panacea ..but a transitional or intermediate step toward energy independence. No one should rationally oppose that. It's stupid to pay others for that which you can do yourself.

I wouldn't use NG for stationary power applications, unless you were getting 60% thermal efficiency. Current trend for sub 30% open cycle GT peaking plants is insane (IMO)

NG is a high utility fuel, and should be used as such, heating homes, powering cars and busses, and maybe home fuel cell stuff (An Oz company is getting 50% efficiency from 1Kw sized fuel cells, with the waste heat going into home heating.

In reality any expansion in available energy will enable us to expand our usage of it ..expand our population with everyone enjoying present levels of consumption ..but they don't allow us to shoot unwanted invaders ..nor allow us to exercise sensible genetic hygiene ...so
21.gif

As per the vids in my uninhabited thread, energy are our cheap slaves.

A new bunch of cheap slaves appear on the block, and we'll find something for them to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back