Insane Electric Rate Increase $508.68/1522 kWh

Keep in mind that solar production in the winter months is horrific and your utility probably isn't doling out generous arrangements so you'll have a significant capital cost with a VERY slow payback. Same reason solar uptake tanked in Ontario when the FIT scheme was eliminated.

BTW, not to sound to cynical, but how is this supposed to encourage people to buy an EV?
Most people will think what their media and Tv tells them to think.

The cheapest power i can get is 15.9c per kw. The bill was close to 600 once during the end of summer. Price is still the same but the cost is half. No more ac, no heater either unless it's too cold, you can just put some more clothes on.

Hybrid WATER HEATERS actually work well down to 40F and since the basement is unconditioned you aren't likely to affect house temp much if any and you get sorta free humidity control in the summer. They use way less energy overall than 4500w resistive elements. I would seriously look into one since gas isn't available.

I don’t think you are getting mold at those low temps. I don’t believe you need to run a dehumidifier in winter there unless your basement is built on a pond. See this link for days to mold for temp and RH:

That electric rate is insane! What do your presumably normal neighbors pay for a comparable size house that keep the temp at 70+ in the winter?

For reference I paid $122.92 for 1320 kWh last month, all in and the average outdoor temp was 35 degrees. I used $364.56 in natural gas for 302 CCF. I keep the house at 70-72 during the day and 67-70 at night and have 3 kids and my wife. This is 6,300 sq feet being heated for the entire month, as well as a week and a half of heating another 1,400 sq ft to 74 during the day, up from 52 the rest of the month while my in-laws were in town. Dishwasher every day, laundry every day, 3 gas water heaters, 4 gas furnaces, a family that leaves lights on all the time and 5 fridges (1 in the garage so it doesn’t use much during winter). It’s time for you to move or get an alternative heat source/energy supplier.

I think your humidity problem is because your house is too cold. I'm surprised your dehumidifiers are working at all. Mine freeze up below 60F. Baseboard heat is 100% efficient. Turn up the heat and be comfortable.

I don’t think you are getting mold at those low temps. I don’t believe you need to run a dehumidifier in winter there unless your basement is built on a pond. See this link for days to mold for temp and RH:

That electric rate is insane! What do your presumably normal neighbors pay for a comparable size house that keep the temp at 70+ in the winter?

I based the 50% on a CDC or WHO paper I read once that said mold growth was prevalent above 50F/50% RH and that 30-50% was ideal. Critters like dust mites also love humidity. I don’t have the link saved, though.

Regarding my basement I’ve left the dehumidifier off and it gets musty smelling when the RH gets too high for too long.

What I also don’t know is how long RH (moisture in the air) needs to be above a certain threshold before mold food (objects) are moist enough to allow for excessive growth.

I think your humidity problem is because your house is too cold. I'm surprised your dehumidifiers are working at all. Mine freeze up below 60F. Baseboard heat is 100% efficient. Turn up the heat and be comfortable.

All of mine are rated for 40-45F. I had one old one that froze the evaporate during
I don’t use the basement one when it gets into the 40s.

Also, my humidity isn’t a problem because I use dehumidifiers. If I turned off my dehumidifiers and turned up the heat 10 degrees my bill would be much higher. Ask me how I know….

Resistive heat is 100% efficient, but it can never be > 100%, like a heat pump and it’s not as cheap as <<100% sources, like gas.

Last edited:
So, it looks like, heating is not the major issue with your electricity usage. You gotta rethink your appliances and the usage of same.

Only major appliance is the dryer but I budget bill because in the summer it's closer to $300. I also switched supplier because it went up about 20% I think. Gas bill is usually the inverse in winter.

Screenshot_20230131-203137.jpg

For reference I paid $122.92 for 1320 kWh last month, all in and the average outdoor temp was 35 degrees. I used $364.56 in natural gas for 302 CCF. I keep the house at 70-72 during the day and 67-70 at night and have 3 kids and my wife. This is 6,300 sq feet being heated for the entire month, as well as a week and a half of heating another 1,400 sq ft to 74 during the day, up from 52 the rest of the month while my in-laws were in town. Dishwasher every day, laundry every day, 3 gas water heaters, 4 gas furnaces, a family that leaves lights on all the time and 5 fridges (1 in the garage so it doesn’t use much during winter). It’s time for you to move or get an alternative heat source/energy supplier.

That electric bill here in Nor cal would be about 514, and the gas bill 906.

Most people will think what their media and Tv tells them to think.

Most people will believe what a select few tell them to think. Rarely do people seek knowledge from various sources, because one side tells them that the other side is wrong in a general sense, not something specific. The hate machine is pervasive and it doesn’t matter how calm and sweet or angry someone sounds, they still need to prove they’re telling the truth.

I don’t hate you, but I’m definitely jealous, which makes me hate you :ROFLMAO:

So, it looks like, heating is not the major issue with your electricity usage. You gotta rethink your appliances and the usage of same.

Exactly. The fridges and freezer are not running excessively. I don’t watch them like a hawk, but they’re usually off when I check. The fridges are pretty quiet, but they make enough noise to hear. The chest freezer has an orange power light and a green compressor light.

The hot water heater is probably a major issue based on its age and how much hot water my family uses compared to me.

The main point of this thread is to show how even a miser like me is paying so freaking much for electricity, and to solicit advice.

I‘m not going to go broke over $100/month. I waste money, like we all do, on random people things. It just infuriates me that I have to spend so much while being so miserly.

So, I‘m not interested in unplugging the 3kWh worth of electronics at idle each month. My subwoofers, for instance, draw about 2-4W while in standby. Many others draw less than a watt. I do usually stuff off while watching TV everyday or when I don’t plan to use something for a while. I turn them off for the same reason as I drink black coffee most of the time and keep the TV backlight at 7/20. We always acclimate to what we have and will always want more. The days I watch a movie or show I like with the TV at 15 backlight and the subs turned up, or put some sweetened condensed milk in my coffee are made that much better.

Back