I'm tired of hearing about Auto-Rx

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you used it and didn't see or feel a benefit go ahead and complain. If you haven't used it- find something else to b---h about please.
I am among the satisfied users and will continue as necessary.

I can see why people keep talking about Auto-RX here-many people have had positive results. Being fair and balanced, some people have not had positive results. If there is a product that a lot of people believe in, they are going to keep talking about it.

Nobody has to use Auto-RX. If you do reasonable OCIs and use good quality motor oil and good quality oil filters you could probably drive a car or truck hundreds of thousands of miles with no major problems. Some people say that Redline oil has cleaning properties so a person could use Redline maybe to keep their engine clean-although Redline is expensive.

Personally myself I owned a Saturn car that had a seal leak and was leaking a small amount of oil. I tried Valvoline MaxLife which is supposed to have seal conditioners in it- no stopping of the leak. I tried CD2 stop leak-no result. Then I tried Auto-RX and after I did 1 or 2 cleanings the seal leak stopped. I can't prove that Auto-RX stopped the leak but the leak stopped after I did the Auto-RX cleaning.

Most people seem to have positive results after using Auto-RX. To be fair some have negative results. Terry, the oil analyist guy, tested Auto-RX and said that it works.

You have to realize that Auto-RX is not always going to work. If a seal is damaged and not just covered with sludge Auto-RX will not repair damage to the seal. And if an engine is simply too sludged up nothing is probably going to help unless the engine is taken apart and cleaned/and or rebuilt.

I can't see somebody complaining about people at this website discussing a product that seems to work. What is the major point behind this website anyway? People discuss motor oil, lubrication subjects, oil filters, additives, etc., at this website. If a lot of people at this website had discovered a motor oil that was just fantastic (let us call it Brand X), people would discuss this Brand X motor oil endlessly at this website. If people discovered some oil additive that really did seem to greatly reduce friction and greatly improve fuel economy that oil additive would be discussed endlesly here. That is what people do at this website-discuss motor oils, oil filters, additives, lubrication subjects, etc.

This very much a
troll.gif
thread.

Based on the amount of junk that came out my regular OCI engines when using ARX, I'd have to say it works.

I went from fail to pass on a Calif smog test with one round of Auto-Rx and no other changes. Compression averaged about 5% increase in all 4 cylinders. I'm happy with my purchase. I can't say for sure but I think this stuff clean up the rings and allowed them to do a better job of sealing the cylinders. One think is a disappointment. It did not double my gas mileage, and come to think of it, it didn't fix my cracked axle boot, either. I had to crawl under the car and fix it myself. Now I have wasted a t-shirt and it's Auto-Rx's fault. Sometime you just can't trust a product that does exactly what is claims to do.

Quote:

Polyolesters and the esters in Auto-RX are worlds apart in chemistry. BrianWC used Redline in his sludged Saab and it did not clean while Auto-RX did. Read his posts if you want the story first-hand.

Yep. Arx worked for me on my SAAB and I'm still using it. Now, I went round and round with Frank over it after two treatments b/c I, too, wanted a sparkly-clean engine. But after testing a variety of recommendations posted on here, arx is the only thing that removed ANYTHING from my engine.

What did I try? Here's a list:

• Berryman B-12 Chemtool-I was very optimistic on this b/c it does wonder for knocking carbon off piston crowns, much more than Seafoam. Well, it didn't do anything in my engine

• LC20-I had high hopes for it. Well, I saw absolutely no change in amount of deposits

• Schaeffers Neutra-again, had high hopes but it didn't really do anything. I have to say, it is my favorite-smelling additive though. I bought a case, though, and use it every now and then as a fuel additive.

• Redline-I ran one 5,500 mile interval with Redline 5W30. No difference in deposits visible.

• Neutra and ATF-not something I would normally risk but it was Bob's recommendation so I figured I'd try. No change after running it a few thousand miles, though.

• Detergent/Dispersal Agents-I tried running a dino HDEO twice (that did nothing) and I also hoped to see some difference running a bottle of SLOB beyond protection from future deposits. I saw no change.....

• Mobil 1- Hey, the website even says do a shorter interval b/c of the cleaning effects. Well.....seems like a waste of M1 in my experience as M1 alone has never removed a thing....

• Now, I'm no arx kool-aid drinker and my bouts with rabid arx posters during my first cleaning got so nasty I was booted off for a while. But this stuff is quite simply the ONLY thing that has removed an iota of crud from my engine. The fact that it does it safer than a thin aromatic cleaner is a nice plus.

cheers.gif

I remembered to take a compression test of my ranger's engine before I started the auto-rx treatment. I have 400 miles left on the rinse phase before Im finally done. I prolly should do a second treatment, as I believe the ranger has over 230k on it, but I might pull the engine and rebuild it in the fall, as I see some of the freeze plugs are now starting to leak (from previous owner neglect)

Quote:

BrianWC, how did you determine the efficacy of Auto-rx?

I took pictures of my engine with the valve cover off. As a point of reference, I focused on some baked on deposits near the timing chain. I've also cut open all my filters.

i tried it in my car and didnt see a vifference in the compression or the varnish on the head, so i got my money back.
but that was after frank promised me free autorx if i told everyone it was good.

well until someone here stops being a site sponsor, youre gonna keep hearing the miracle stories about auto rx, from rebuilding bearings and rings to being essential for break in.

Im about to order a case of Rx to try it in my Tacoma thats seen nothing but synthetic since 9000 miles. Althought the valves are spotless i wanna see if it will help with gas milage. Even if i gain just a mile per gallon im sold. That would be enought Rx to last me for almost 10 years after treatment and maintence doses every six months. Pretty cheap in my book.

[quoteI have not seen any evidence that Auto-Rx restores an engine to like-new condition.

Then you haven't been looking.

Quote:

For the cost of the product, I would expect it to provide miracle like results...

For the cost of a shipment of Auto-Rx, a person could fill up there engine with a high quality synthetic oil like Amsoil and get much better results (in my opinion).

In contrast to your opinion, my experience is that it WILL restore an engine to like-new if there is a cleanliness issue as opposed to damage or a cleanliness non-issue. Find my thread on the compression in my '91 Subaru XT-6.

I DID put in quality synthetic oils, HDEOs, and very short change intervals prior to using Auto-RX. After them, I had a compression problem. After Auto-RX, I didn't. For me, experience counts; opinion ignorant thereof doesn't.

I think Auto Rx is another good product.... another tool in the toolbox.

I feel that ARX works, and I was suprised how it much it helped on vehicles that i knew were well maintained.

Maybe its not for everybody, but I think Auto
RX should be tried and given a fair chance.

A compression test [ or leakdown test ] before and after is probably the only way to tell how effective Auto RX is.

I am only judging by sound of the engine, and by driving the vehicle.

Last edited:
Quote:

Assuming you aren't simply trolling, I think the fact that you're dwelling on "COMPLETELY" is an issue.

No I'm not trolling; I didn't even want to start this thread because I knew of all the flack I would get. I started this thread because I think that Auto-Rx is OVER PRESCRIBED. Every time someone buys a used car and wants to know what oil they should use, the first reply is usually a recommendation for Auto-Rx, even before asking the OP some basic questions about the condition of the car.

As far as the use of the word "completely", every thing I do I like to do a complete job and never half way. But if some of you guys are satisfied with Auto-Rx just freeing up your ring packs, then I say more power to you. There's a good chance that I expect too much from Auto-Rx; that's why I thought it was important to hash this out and see what the rest of you guys expect from the product.

Merkava 4,

I'd go as far as to say that auto RX has changed my opinion of used cars. I no longer think of engines as worn.

Now I think of engines as maybe worn, and maybe, just maybe, merely dirty....and that a little ARX may free up the rings.

So yes, I'd over prescribe ARX and tell someone 'lets run ARX and see how the engine behaves'.

Then I'm starting with an engine that might reasonably be considered as being clean...after the 3500 mile 'clean and rinse'.

Thats not to say that I might not run a strong dose of LC 20 a few hundred miles before I drained the oil, run some clean and cheap oil for a few miles, and drain and start with clean oil for the ARX clean phase.

Last edited:
I second sprint's opinion. I run 2K mile cleaning phases since I know my two vehicles' PM histories. Got 2-3 mpg improvement in each, but I attribute that to a combination of the oils I used (energy conserving vs. GC), cleaning of the rings, and the warm temperatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back