Slow drain build up removers work?

Once a week....
Zip.jpg

I close the drain and run hot water to fill the sink plus add a dose of dishwasher detergent. Once sink is full let it sit for a few minutes then open the drain. It works to clear the drain plus it cleans the sink. It’s especially good on stainless steel sinks. I have never had a clogged drain doing this.

Physically removing is good for a lot of things like hair, but I don't think that's the primary reason to use these sort of drain treatments. I wouldn't think of a typical caustic drain opener chemical as a treatment. They don't necessarily eat through anything. What they usually do is create a lot of heat, which softens up any clogged materials and they chemically soften up whatever is blocking the drain. They're primarily for when a drain gets clogged, and in that case the best thing to do is physically unclog it with a drain snake or something similar. Those little plastic things with the barbs are OK for hair that's stuck fairly close to the drain opening, but I've found hair clogs that looked like they were 5-10 ft in.

The biggest issue is typically going to be in the kitchen where most are going to be washing dishes that are coated with all sorts of stuff - especially cooking oils, animal fats, etc.

The proper way to treat a drain is with a bacterial culture/enzyme product. The bacteria is supposed to colonize on whatever organic material is there and then "digest" it by producing enzymes that help it absorb the materials. I've heard they can work on hair, but extremely slowly. But eventually the cycle starts again when the film/slime is washed away but it then builds up again. I've tried using drain sticks that supposedly stay in the drain and slowly dissolve over a month, but when I've used them I looked down the drain with a light and it was gone within a couple of days after likely being washed down. But something that might have a slow dispersal of enzymes/bacteria would probably be a good thing - like one of those drips we see in commercial/office building bathrooms.

Odyssey_Drip_application_web1.jpg

I've taken apart a kitchen drain that was partially blocked at my parents' home. The trap had some sort of slimy, black stuff that looked like it was a combination of different oils/fats that had accumulated there and turned black. That's possibly the ideal use of a drain treatment. They didn't necessarily dump lots of oil down there either, but that accumulated there over at least 5 years. That probably could have used a regular treatment at least once a month.

This is typically what it looks like:

black-slime.jpeg

I’ve used the Green Gobbler. Good stuff, I bought the granules.

You pour it in your drain and let it sit for 15 minutes, then rinse good with hot water.

The next morning after I use it it smells horrible outside the house because my drain vents go up to the roof, it breaks down the grease in the pipes. Only bad smelling outside for the day.

IMG_4983.jpeg

Since I have plastic drain pipes, I have had good luck pouring a half cup of table salt down the drain, allow it to work followed by pouring hot water down the drain.

I don’t think new homes in some areas are built with a garbage disposal because it’s a hassle for the municipal water system to treat such waste water?

How does table salt work here???
It breaks down grease in strong concentrations. Won't help with hair clogs. For maintenance, a cup of cheap liquid laundry detergent left in the pipes overnight rinsed with hot water helps too.

Back