Maximizing effectiveness of drain enzyme/bacterial treatment

It's occurred to me that some of what happens with these drain treatments might result in minimal contact with vertical drain walls. I've seen some (especially powders) where there's some sort of solid like ground wheat or sawdust that I suppose will soak up some of the enzymes/bacteria and perhaps allow enough time for the bacterial to "colonize" on drain slime. I've used some drain sticks that claim to continuously release enzymes and bacteria although I suspect they tend to stay there. I've heard of some commercial treatments that use some sort of dispenser to drip. And the one I thought might work best was one in a can that seems to be more like a foam where the manufacturer claims that it fills up the pipe.

I've been using either Zep Drain Care powder and/or Roebic K67. The latter doesn't claim to contain enzymes, but I suppose the bacterial culture will release enzymes when the bacteria try to digest stuff. I looked up the SDS for those two and the ZEP product has wood (i.e. sawdust) and the Roebic one has little bits of wheat chaff.

I've been using it often in smaller amounts to make it last. The thing I've tried is to just use it with dishwashing detergent and making sure that the mixture is agitated and there's lots of foam. I've used them straight up with water and I think there's some sort of foaming agent in it anyways, but not where it really gets like a bubble bath. Anyone try anything else other than straight up using the directions?

I’ve used the ZEP enzyme powder and liquid for years by the directions on the product, and have never had a stopped up drain.

OP - good info - thanks for posting.

I have been using an 'enzyme' drain cleaner for many years / never any problems with clogs or damage to plumbing joints.
I buy various 'enzyme' (liquid) products at Home Depot.
I like the idea of a 'foam'.
I have to stay vigilant because my main drain runs the length of house (45').
I would only use a harsher cleaner if absolutely needed.

I also wipe food plates clean before washing, and filter the washing machine drain water.

Last edited:
In "industrial" (food factory) environments, they use foam-based products. There are specialized tools/attachments that help as well - videos here, https://www.foamit.com/drain-sanitation-systems/.

I looked at that website and they don’t sell a single cleaning product. It’s all equipment. They probably have recommendations for what to use, but I don’t see it there.

Correct, they don't sell cleaning products, nor do they recommend anything. In the business they're in, the end-users will have contracts with chemical suppliers. Foam-It won't sell to individuals either, it was just examples.

My parents used to dump powder laundry detergent down the drain then pour a pot of boiling water down. I'm sure the powder would stick better when the boiling water soften the drain gunk, and the powder aren't completely dissolved in a short period of time.

Laundry detergents have been using enzymes for decades so it's actually a very good idea, except for the boiling water part. That will "kill" the enzyme(s) (technically, they're not alive but it will render them ineffective).

Laundry detergents have been using enzymes for decades so it's actually a very good idea, except for the boiling water part. That will "kill" the enzyme(s) (technically, they're not alive but it will render them ineffective).

Depends on what it is. Makers of laundry detergents have to be judicious in what enzymes are used. Something like cellulase would probably damage cotton with repeated use. It’s used intentionally to soften or whether cotton, like with stonewash denim.

Enzymes are proteins, where heat typically breaks them down.

Still, enzymes might not do so much all by themselves. It needs a live bacterial culture where the bacteria will feed on stuff and then produce more enzymes. The bacteria need enzymes to digest. I think enzymes can give it a head start for the bacteria to be able to “eat”.

Back