Fixing up garage - painting?

I'm formulating a plan to fix up my garage -- getting rid of junk, getting some more free-standing storage shelves, and making some semblance of order.

But before doing that, I was thinking about giving the walls some color. They are unfinished, 50-year old drywall that was originally taped and patched, but have been left bare all this time.

The intent is not to create a palace, but simply get some paint on the walls to brighten up the space, and make it consistent, since portions of it are painted, but it was left as somebody's unfinished project from before.

It's old, dark drywall, so some type of primer will obviously been required, but are the combo paint/primer products ok?

Or, as I suspect, separate products would simply be better, and not end up costing any more than a combo product that ends up needing more quantity to be effective?

And have modern coatings advanced to the stage where the primer can be painted over in the same day, to save time?

It's a typical two-car garage, with only half a ceiling, as the other half is not finished and opens up to the pitch of the roof. Rough calculations say five-gallon pails might be sufficient.

I do not intend to do much sanding, except in a couple areas that were repaired and very rough, or to make the joints finish-grade in general. It's a utility space that will not garner close inspection.

Anyone done something similar? Just trying to get an idea of what I might be getting myself into.

White, cream or very light tan color. Good paint stores will sell you a quart to put on for test purposes to see what color you like. There are paint & primer combos in 1 paint. Plan on 2 coats and depending upon the prep a full weekend to complete. As they say, the more time you spend on prep, the better the outcome will be. You will wonder why you never did this sooner. Post pictures before and after.

I'll be the first to strongly disagree with white. It's a garage...if you want to see literally every mark imaginable and dirt galore then paint it white. I repainted mine (was white) to gray to hide marks and dirt and it was a good decision. Also, use an exterior paint for durability and moisture resistance.
1703260850682.jpg

It's a garage, not worried about marks and all the discrepancies, I like a lot of light when working on cars especially at night, do all my detailing and waxing in the garage. ;)

Thanks for the tips. I've done some more digging, and there are so many options…and opinions.

Since I have some storage shelves coming, what I'm planning to do is buy a small quantity of primer and paint to redo the wall where they will go against and treat it as a test bed, since it's unencumbered and won't take much prep work or moving stuff around, as well as reducing the chances that I'll have those boxes of unassembled shelves sitting around waiting to be put together. And save the more complex surfaces for later, perhaps in the Spring.

The trial run should give me a good idea of how the products are to work with, how well they cover, and if the color is agreeable, or I should go for something darker than straight white.

I prefer a lightly tinted neutral color (left) on the walls vs. white to hide dirt,fumes, stains, etc. Definitely primer on old surfaces, followed by high quality semi-gloss for me. What shade is up to your liking, cool vs. warm, etc..
1703732924378.jpeg
1703732958627.jpeg

Last edited:
Recommend going with Kilz White Primer. The bright white finish will reflect light making the space brighter. As far as becoming dingy over time being in a garage…. I don’t buy that. I drywalled (blueboard) and applied textured veneer plaster to my walls in the garage. They are unpainted and bright white. 8 years later, still looking great despite people telling me how the plaster wold get dingy looking. And if your walls look a little discolored 15 years from now, just roll a new coat of paint over them!

More outets, particularly some beyond the interior wall, would be nice, but beyond the score of this project.

Also decided that a section of exposed poured (but rough) concrete that makes up the lowest section of one wall (where it's below grade relative to the exterior) will be left alone. It's probably the only section of wall in the whole garage that is at risk of being marred since the garbage carts are parked along it, and sealing/painting the concrete is another complication I'd rather avoid.

But I will paint the crude, but useful bare wood cabinets a previous owner built, since they are adjacent to a light fixture and would be a good reflective surface.

Semigloss on the cabinets. I have had great luck using a mini roller (also called a cigar roller) when painting wood surfaces. It beats a brush - of any size - 8 ways to Sunday. You can apply 1 coat 1 day, wrap the roller (still on the handle) in a large ziploc bag, store in the frig, and then use the next day. No problem.

I'm formulating a plan to fix up my garage -- getting rid of junk, getting some more free-standing storage shelves, and making some semblance of order.

But before doing that, I was thinking about giving the walls some color. They are unfinished, 50-year old drywall that was originally taped and patched, but have been left bare all this time.

The intent is not to create a palace, but simply get some paint on the walls to brighten up the space, and make it consistent, since portions of it are painted, but it was left as somebody's unfinished project from before.

It's old, dark drywall, so some type of primer will obviously been required, but are the combo paint/primer products ok?

Or, as I suspect, separate products would simply be better, and not end up costing any more than a combo product that ends up needing more quantity to be effective?

And have modern coatings advanced to the stage where the primer can be painted over in the same day, to save time?

It's a typical two-car garage, with only half a ceiling, as the other half is not finished and opens up to the pitch of the roof. Rough calculations say five-gallon pails might be sufficient.

I do not intend to do much sanding, except in a couple areas that were repaired and very rough, or to make the joints finish-grade in general. It's a utility space that will not garner close inspection.

Anyone done something similar? Just trying to get an idea of what I might be getting myself into.
There's only one thing to apply and luckily it is cheap. Its called "PVA" found where paint is sold. It is always used to seal new sheetrock by professionals and will seal old too...it'll just take more. Plus, it may be all you'll need to do if you're looking to just clean up. It might prevent sheetrock crumbling, a common occurrence with old, unsealed sheetrock. That is your best benefit, even if unseen or unappreciated, of this project.

There's only one thing to apply and luckily it is cheap. Its called "PVA" found where paint is sold. It is always used to seal new sheetrock by professionals and will seal old too...it'll just take more. Plus, it may be all you'll need to do if you're looking to just clean up. It might prevent sheetrock crumbling, a common occurrence with old, unsealed sheetrock. That is your best benefit, even if unseen or unappreciated, of this project.

I've been doing entirely too much reading on forums purportedly inhabited by professional painters, and it seems there is a PVA-camp, and a non-PVA camp, and as many opinions in general as there are people. Way too many.

Frankly, at this point, I'm prepared to just go with a multi-purpose primer, which is only slightly more costly, and a mid-level name brand paint, which should be fine for the intended purpose.

Never intended to fall into the rabbit hole to begin with…

Back