Slow drain build up removers work?

Has anyone seen proven results using any of these products? I like the idea of pouring an ounce or two of something in my drain once a week if it can help prevent a future clog.

They do work, however I would only use as needed.
Our tub drain is notorious for clogging.
I can usually clean it out with one of the plastic snakes (that's all that will fit without taking the drain stopper apart.)
This last time, I cleaned it out as thoroughly as possible without disassembling, and it was still running slow.
Used ZEP Liquid Heat on it, it is draining like new.

I don't know about any products in particular, other than the normal extra strength drain openers. I broke our S trap eventually because they don't really work well on a perpetual situation, so I decided to open it.

On our tub, I need to occasionally use the wet/dry vac and hair comes up.

I usually try to preventively fish stuff out with a metal coat hanger. Hair products seem to be terrible. They stick to hair greatly in the drain and always cause clogs.

I also try to , once a month, fill everything up to capacity and then let it drain. That has worked well so far.

We're on septic, so aggressive chemicals are a no-no.

The bacterial/enzyme treatments? I’ve had many a discussion on those here. They should work, but there are always caveats. One is that a simple liquid might have minimal contact. I actually have issues and I use a smaller amount but then add something to help it foam like dishwashing detergent. I figure that helps increase contact. I’ve heard of some liquid drain treatment products that create an intentional foam.

I also use a fair amount of stuff that kills bacteria, so I might need to retreat often. Stuff like laundry sanitizer.

Mostly I use powdered Zep Drain Defense or Roebic K-67. The former claims to have a combination of bacterial cultures and enzymes. The latter just says bacteria, but the bacteria produce enzymes.

I’ve used the ZEP enzyme treatments, first the powdered and now the liquid for years which seem to work as I have never had a clogged drain. Having said that, I do have a plastic barbed tool I bought for about $1 from HD that I use occasionally use to extract hair from the shower drains as the enzymes won’t work in this case.

The real solution is prevention. No hair washing in bathroom sinks and functioning screens in showers to catch hair before it goes down the drain.
I am bordering on paranoid with the kitchen sink....especially grease, then rice/pasta. I actually heard some kids in my office saying their grandfather told them not to put grease and stuff down the sink and they were all laughing why bother get a disposal or call a plumber..sigh

Has anyone seen proven results using any of these products? I like the idea of pouring an ounce or two of something in my drain once a week if it can help prevent a future clog.
Do you have trees in your front yard near the outside drain pipe? If so trees will seek out water sources and the roots will work their way into the opening and obstruct it. Copper sulfate will fix that. Second you really don't want to repeatedly apply a drain cleaner or degreaser this can substantially eat away at the pipe till the point of failure. As long as large scraps and grease aren't poured down your drain you shouldn't need to continuously add anything. There are enzyme cleaners that are supposedly pipe friendly.

Second you really don't want to repeatedly apply a drain cleaner or degreaser this can substantially eat away at the pipe till the point of failure.

I can't imagine that's a problem with the PVC pipes used in recent decades. Stuff like clay pipe and orangeberg pipe would be more susceptible to damage from what goes down the drain.

I'm not a fan of chemicals in the drains. For the most part I believe them to be ineffective. Our problems usually revolve around hair, my wife has beautiful long curly hair. She cleans the shower drain out periodically. I clean my sink out where I shave periodically, therefore no need for chemicals.

No grease or crap down the kitchen sink and if there is it gets a long dose of hot water and Dawn dish soap.

Just my $0.02

I've used Zep Drain Defense with good luck in clearing slow (but not stopped up) drains. It's a product that uses enzymes to eat away at the muck, and yet is perfectly safe for all pipes and septics. It's not a fast cure; it's a slow methodical tool. You have to do several treatments to help open a drain, and then a maintenance dose is advisable. Follow the product directions.

I use a two-part drain cleaner only when necessary; when the drains get slow.

The worst thing to drop into a garbage disposal is potato skin. Even after grinding, for some reason it will plug the drain.
we were told any potatoes (not just skins) and egg shells are bad for disposals. The plumber said it would act like the bricks and mortar and build a clog... We have followed this advise for the last 10 years and not had an issue. The people before us used the disposal like an incinerator (everything goes in) and added grease to the mix... What a mess but we got it straightened out!

Just my $0.02

Mechanical removal should always be your first choice. But if you have to use chemicals remember that bleach is really cheap and dissolves hair. The trick is to somehow make it thick enough so that it doesn't immediately pass through the clog. Some sort of soap, like laundry detergent (not dish soap!!!) should be compatible with bleach and not recreate a WW1 style chlorine gas attack in your bathroom, so do your homework on that one. And leave it like that for a good while, like overnight or as long as you guestimate it's going to take to dissolve the hair enough to either disappear or turn into a slippery slime thing that will go down the drain. Some sort of ventilation would probably be appropriate here as well. A lot of commercially available drain unclog stuff is simply bleach and soap already mixed, just at a really high price.

I find all our issues start with the drain trap and then work their way up. When my drain starts slowing down I use one of these. I have used the same one for years, just rinse it off and good to go.No need for the plumbers snake. I have found the chemicals give a marginal improvement that doesnt last long. This method makes it drain like new.

Reactions: hrv
Basic knowledge: bleach added to urine liberates chlorine gas.
NaOCl + NH3 → NaCl + H2O + N2 + Cl2

So, you won’t find a commercially available drain cleaner that uses bleach, because of the liability of misuse is too great.

Back