I'm stumped ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: exranger06
Just the military-grade ones that the average citizen has no business owning.

You've gotta define that for me. Two of my guns are quite literally "Military Grade":

1. My CADEX CDX-33 in .338LM is currently used by numerous Special Forces groups
2. My Remington 700 5R Milspec is, for all intents and purposes, the same 700 in .308 used by various sniper groups for short to medium range

I also have a Derya MK12 semi-auto mag-fed 12 gauge that looks like a scary black "military-grade" gun, despite not actually being used for that purpose.

So is your use of the term "Military Grade" intended as a mechanism to conjure up fear here, regardless of the incredible amount of ambiguity associated with it? Because that's what I'm taking away from it
21.gif

Whoa, calm down. I'm not trying to conjure up any fear of anything. I'm not anti-gun and I actually have a pistol permit. This is the kind of knee-jerk stuff I'm talking about. Say one thing about any regulation or gun control and people freak out that you're going to take away all of their guns. When I say military grade, I'm talking about fully-automatic guns, and things that civilians have no business owning like, you know, tanks, RPGs, and nuclear missiles. Now obviously all of those things are already (essentially) banned for civilian use, and for good reason. And like I said, nobody seems to have a problem with that. The problem is, where do we draw the line and how do we decide what is too dangerous for civilian use? I for one, don't know.
The media says the AR-15 is a military weapon that a civilian doesn't need. Now like I already said, I know it's not nearly as dangerous as they make it seem and I'm not sure it should be banned. I don't know if it was designed to be "military grade" but that's the excuse everyone is using to take it away. This is the weapon of choice for school shootings and people want to see *something* be done about it.

What harm is there if some law abiding civilian does own a tank or RPG?

FYI there are plenty of people who DO own RPGs and have paid the BATFE a $200 tax stamp + background check for each individual 'rocket' (since those are individual Destructive Devices per the law). Are these people suddenly felons because they own something that could be used maliciously, but they haven't actually used them maliciously?

The same for tanks. Most tanks in private ownership are demilled, but again if someone owns a working tank and never harms someone with it, then of what harm does it present to you?

Because any nutjob who wants to kill dozens of people can get one? And even good guys with guns and an entire police force have no hope of stopping a tank? There's a big difference between people having pistols and rifles and people having RPGs and tanks. The same reason why we're concerned about North Korea having nuclear weapons? Nutjobs with big powerful weapons = bad idea. And even if only sane, law abiding citizens have them, what's to stop a nutjob from stealing it? How do you know people have the proper facilities to keep them secure? And all because of what? Because some rich guy's favorite hobby is to blow stuff up on the weekends? Find a different hobby. Sorry, I think there are certain things people should just not have access to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back