Show me your SAK Mods

I was debating whether I should post in Tool Time or in General Talk. Since there are already several threads about knives here in the General Talk section there is precedence. If any mod would like to move the thread to the Tool Time or into oblivion that's fine by me.

Show me your SAK mods! I'll start. I added a thumb stud to one of my Swiss Champs. I can now open the blade one-handed with my left hand. Usually, you must use a nail nick on the blade or you have to pinch the back of the blade deftly between two fingers if you want to get the blade out.

Stainless steel parts:

1x M3 bolt with a countersunk 2mm Allen head trimmed to 7mm length
2x split washer for the M3 bolt
1x cap nut, sanded down to a stud with a conical tip

Tools used:

Hard metal punch for marking drill hole
cordless drill
Dremel
1/2 inch cutoff wheel to shorten the screw and grind out the scale and plate behind it
2.5mm tungsten drill bit for drilling the screw hole
4mm carbide countersink
diamond hone to grind down the screw head a little for a near-flush fit
A small rotary grinding stone bit to smoothen the reshaped scale
sandpaper (400,800, 2,000) to smoothen the scale
polishing compound and a rag to polish the scale

I am not worried about the structural integrity of the blade being critically compromised by the addition of the screw hole to the blade. I'm not fighting grizzlies with this knife.

First, I marked the screw hole location with my punch and rilled a 2.5mm hole with a tungsten bit.

Next, I countersank the screw hole. You can see all the modified hardware. The screw has been cut to length but needed more trimming and the cap nut has been shaped into a stud.

Hardware installed

Countersunk head. I didn't countersink it all the way to be flush as not to weaken the blade unnecessarily.

With the blade closed. You can see the area I had to cut out of the scale and underlying layer to accommodate the thumb stud.

The thumb stud has not been fully tightened. I still need to degrease the parts and add some threadlocker. In this picture, you can see another modification I made. I made an extra slot in the scale for a tension wrench and a rake and you can see both tools sticking out above the main blade joint.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention, this mod requires that you use a shorter pen from a 58mm model rather than the original pen for a 91 mm model. You can remove the grey plastic pull tab from the pen after running hot water over the pen which will temporarily soften the plastic. The grey plastic snap will snap in place on the shorter pen which comes without a pull tab.

The pen on top is the original pen for a 91 mm Victorinox. The pen at the bottom is from a 58 mm Victorinox with the plastic pull tab already attached.

One-handed operation

This is the other mod I mentioned. I fit stainless steel lock-picking tools into an extra slot I made. There's plenty of room inside the scales for more acessories. I may add another slot for a ferro rod ("Firefly" accessory).

Has anybody else done any SAK mods?

Last edited:
Back