Rounded off bolt help

Originally Posted by Zaedock
How did you make out?!?!

I have not done it yet. It snowed the next day and the wind has been blowing 15-20 mph. If the truck would fit in the garage it would be easier but I need to work on a gravel driveway out front. Not that it is a good excuse but since I passed 65 I am more picky about my working conditions or at least the temperature. I still break my knuckles but at least they are not frozen at the time.

Originally Posted by samven
Sorry about the formatting, I tried to use punctuation. I only have a stick welder and a Mig machine but I am worried about the TCU and any other electronics in there. Is there a possibility of frying anything. Thanks. Oh its a Dodge Ram 5-45.

I had no problem reading it.

I hate to leave a thread unfinished, I did get the Mig out and welded a nut onto the rounded head and miracle of miracles it came right out. I thought for sure it was going to break off because I used solid wire with gas and the bolt was rusty and even though I cleaned it, it still looked contaminated from ATF. Not my best welding job but good enough. After I got the pan down I made a jig from a piece of 1/4" bar. I drilled 2 oversized holes in it to match the bolt holes on either side of the broken one and a 5/32" hole where the broken bolt was. I aligned the small hole with the center of the broken one and tightened down the outside bolts. Then used the small hole to keep my bit from walking and to keep it straight up. Once I got a straight hole all the way through I tried a 3/16 reverse bit just to see if it would pull the remains out but no luck so I just ran a 13/64 and retapped the hole 6mmx1. I got everything replaced but I put a thin layer of permatex #2 on the pan side then stuck the gasket on that. I figure the tranny was milled flat enough to seal with just the gasket but the pan might need a bit of help. Criss Crossed the bolts to 30 inlb then 60 then to 95 inlb. The book calls for 105 but I will go back under in a day or 2 and retighten. Filled with ATF+4 and took it for a ride. So far no leaks but I will keep an eye on it. Right now I feel real unlucky and real lucky at the same time. It could have been so easy but it could have gone really really wrong too.

Back