Bypass filter installed on 8.1l silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been interested in oil lately and decided to try a bypass filter took a wile to choose one

wound up with an Oil Guard eps-20 seamed like a good match for what i wanted to do, it was $130 for just the filter case no lines or fittings, they sell complete kits that come with the lines for slightly more, replacement filters are $13 but I am looking into a possible source for the same filters for $5 these filters are suppose to be changed at every oil change

for this kind of bypass filter I needed a high pressure oil source and a low pressure area to return the bypassed oil to. The oil sending unit on this motor is buried deep behind the intake and almost impossible to get to, fortunately there is a 3/8 NTP plug on the side of the block along the center line of and just above the oil filter. It covers a drilled oil passage that taps oil off just after it passes through the main oil filter and oil cooler

-

I wanted to know what 1 was going to be working with (drive and thread) before I took it apart so I went to the dealer and got the # for the plug (not in stock) and ordered from GM parts direct, I received a 1/4NPT plug with a 1/4” female square drive. unfortunately I went to install and the plug on my truck has a square drive that is smaller than 3/8 and larger than ¼ and the thread is 3/8NPT
confused.gif
I took an old POS 3/8 ratchet and slowly ground it down until it fit. seams to be around .320” witch lines up with 8mm and is also close to 5/16

so did the dealer parts person screw up or maybe GMPD or are there 2 different plugs on 8.1's?

Here I installed a 3/8”npt to 1/4”npt bushing in the block, 1/4”npt street el, 1/4”npt to 1/4”barb, hose and 2 clamps, I was worried about a catastrophic hose failure bleeding off all of my oil pressure, the filter has a .042” restriction in its outlet but if there was a failure before then it would immediately dump all my oil pressure so I made a second restrictor for right where the oil comes out of the block

-

I took a 3/16 monel rivet with a 426 head (large countersink) and drilled a #40 hole (.098”) down its length counter sunk each end slid it into the base of the barb, and using 2 punches and a hammer I slightly swelled the rivet to hold it in place and then re drilled the hole as it has closed slightly

-

now if there is a major failure there should still be oil pressure for a few minutes, some of the oil will be pumped overboard through the .1” restriction but not ehough to cause a loss of pressure, when the level gets 2qt low low oil level light will come on, the remaining oil should give me enough time to pull over to the sholder without engine damage

The second problem is where to mount the filter, there is a heat shield on the bottom of the cab just below the drivers feet just inboard of the frame, perhapses there is a cat here with other motors? This heat shield is installed with 3 bolts and is close to the oil filter and there are no obstructions in the area, looking at the air tunnel that every thing on my truck works its way around I think it will clear the front drive shaft for you guys with 4wd

the bracket it came with was not wide enough to catch the 2 front bolts so I bolted it to a piece of 2” alloy aluminum angle that was 11” long I then added a brace to the rear bolt to help out as these heat shield bolts are kinda thin and the filter had a lot of leverage on them the rear brace negates that leverage

view looking up at the drivers side floor, the head of the filter faces forward,
 -

both inlet out outlet of the filter are 1/4npt I installed 2 street el's and 2 1/4”npt to 1/4” barbs hose with 2 clamps, there was also an 1/8”npt port marked aux, this is ported to the “dirty side” of the filter I decided to put a sampling port there got a valve that has a all metal seat there is a rubber seal around the handle shaft but it sees no pressure except when the valve is open I put a short piece of 3/16 vinyl hose on it and jamed a 3/16 bolt in the end of the hose as a dust cap, do not want dirt/grime to contaminate the sample

the last thing to figure out is where to return the bypassed filtered oil to, you can buy hollow self taping bolts. you would punch a hole in the oil pan or valve cover and thread them in, on the 8.1l both are cast aluminum and I was not to keen on that method anyway

Amsoil sells a swivel for the oil cap with a nut on the back side for only $8 but I am not sure how well that swivel seals? Seams to me that if it gets worn out the vacuum in the motor would draw in air and the dust/grit that travels with it, I would like to hear from somebody that has one how it worked out? That amsoil swivel is 1/8npt but I could adapt

I wound up drilling and taping the oil fill cap for the return, I am not really happy with this setup wile the oil cap is off it drips oil all over the intake and since it has hose on it I cannot flip it over or move it elsewhere to prevent the drip also the cap is not solid but several layers of thin plastic not very forgiving of threaded fastners, I don not think it will last long, I have the gasket needed and may one day remove drill and tap the valve cover for the return line, in the mean time I am going to look for another way, I am still hoping to find a stock plug somewhere that I can tap into

-

here used 2 clamps a 1/4”barb to 1/4”npt, 1/4” elbow, and a 1/4” to 3/8” MS fillting witch is 7/16-20 strait thread, drilled a 3/8” hole in the cap and taped it, there is an o-ring between the fitting and cap to seal it

I also want to get better hose, the only 1/4” oil and temperature resistant hose I could find in Newnan was hydraulic hose, it was made for swage on fittings, I am using barbs and hose clams (witch are appropriate for the 70PSI it will see) but the 15,000 psi hydraulic hose has a metal wire layer that soaks up a lot of the hose clamps pressure and I am worried about it popping off I will be ordering some Parker 836-4 hose witch is ¼ id high temperature 300psi line, should be perfect, the filter could be installed with 10' of hose and still be well routed

I took a sample just after start, this oil has 2k on it, hopefully there is nothing in the lines thread sealant or the filter head that will throw off the UOA, I will be changing at 4k and take another sample for comparison of the same oil before and after bypass filtration

[ November 04, 2003, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: RavenTai ]

Kinda similar to what I did on my Ford 6.8l. Actually, our stories are almost identical. The only part where we differ is on where to return the oil. Try this. Go to your local parts store and get a replacement oil pan drain plug. Then, use that as a guide to find out what size fitting you'll need. Install this fitting in place of your plug and there's your return line.

I couldn't quite find exactly what I needed to do this....they don't make a fitting in that exact metric size. So, I bought a plug from Autozone and drilled it out and then tapped it. Turns out the plug was pot metal and the threads just pulled right out. So, went to the dealer and got a real plug. Steel!
grin.gif
Drilled and tapped the plug, installed an adapter and plugged my return line into it.

My initial fear was that the return oil would churn up crap in the bottom of my pan. Then the gurus here gave me some advice...if it's a fresh oil change (which it was) or if it has been going through a bypass already (such as yours) then there won't be anything on the bottom to churn up. And, either way, churning it up may be a good thing because then it's allowing the filter to get rid of it once and for all instead of leaving in the engine.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Mikie

RavenTai - I am thinking of installing a by pass oil filter myself but not sure if there is enough clearing between the oil cap and the engne hood to accommodate the fitting for returned oil. Can you measure the hight of the fitting from the top of oil cap to the highest point of the fitting? Thanks.

Weatherlite, thanks for the reminder, I had read about drain plug returns when I first stated reading up and dismissed that way early on as being “shade tree” , now that I see what a PITA the oil cap is it is looking attractive plus it is a much shorter run, besides when I am workign at home I am shade tree, I have a "super plug" installed and I saved my original so I already have a pattern to work with

sifan, mine is just under 1 3/4" taller than the stock face of the oil cap, that height could probably be reduced to around 1" or less if you found the right street el so you could thread into the cap and make the turn with one fitting, I would look at other methods for return cap is a pain

took it for the first long trip last night and shortly after shutdown was greeted with a burning rubber smell I think the first section of hose is to close to the exhaust, not sure if it is overheated wile running or just when off (no cooling oil or air flow to keep the hose cool) but either way it will not last, as a temp fix I wrapped the lien in fiberglass, that got rid of the “hot rubber” smell and should last until I can install a steel line and fittings I bought today

I plan on wraping the oil line end exhaust eventually, if I don't I think the oil might coke in the line

Just a thought, but how about returning the oil to the filler neck itself. I believe they are removable, so it should be easy to do the work off of the engine. Maybe braze the fitting on?

i have a similar setup for my 4runner and landcruiser see links 4runner link landcruiser link i just changed the cruisers configuration to that of the runners with the exception of the sandwich adapter, i just pluged the return of the adapter and ran the return from the filter to the oil filler cap.

i also did something similar to your rivet solution except i just drill a .040" hole and get the right amount of flow to the oil filler cap (was having overpressure issues with the sandwich adapter, that why the reconfig. and the .040" orifice)

[ November 06, 2003, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: instigator ]

hey raven, you by chance work for an airline(the big D perhaps or maybe the big A)? not too many places have monel rivets A&P myself and make the drive every day for the big D

[ November 06, 2003, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: instigator ]

Pick, on mine the filler neck slides into the intake and is sealed or epoxied in place, not sure how hard it would be to remove, need to look into that also

yesterday I also found a plug in the side of the left head, have to find out if it is water, oil, or crankcase, if it is the latter I found my return

quote:

Originally posted by instigator:
drive every day for the big D

Yep big "D" here, there are several others here also, but the rivets did not come from there they were part of a collection i have had since A&P school

today I made this to replace the high pressure hose
 -

I got the components at a “ Parker store ”, (60 miles one way
rolleyes.gif
) I used Compression Bite flareless fittings, they are strong and reliable but best of all no flare tool needed
smile.gif
, just something to cut the tube with and a wrench.

10' of 1/4” tube, 4 complete “tube-to-1/4”-pipe” fittings (4-4 fbu-s) to screw into my existing “street el's” , and 4 extra ferrules (4 tu-S) in case I screwed up, the rest of the fitting parts are reusable, it was all under $20 it would have been cheaper and better to go tube to start out with, a little more work to install but I think it will be worth it, looks a lot safer and sturdier

If anybody is interested I will post a directions on assembling the flare-less fittings

sorry for the focus, camera decided it liked the background better than the fittings
blush.gif

-

-

sorry for the funny perspective, it is very hard to frame a good pic while on a creeper under a truck, view looking forward, big chunk of aluminum on the right is transmission's bell housing, red bracket and chrome cylinder on left is filter and its brackets, in the middle is left exhaust manifold and pipe with freshly added fiberglass wrap to reduce heat in the area (planned a wile ago to try to reduce transmission temps), in the pic the unprotected part of the line looks like it is close to the exhaust but it is actually over a foot away, the portion of oil line with the fiberglass wrap is close to the exhaust manifold,

I think my original fears of hydraulic on barb were BS, if it were not fo rthe heat problem they would have worked fine. after removing the clamps on the line after just 24 hours I could not pull the line off the barb, It had taken the shape of the bard, with the clamps off I could still rotate the fitting in the hose so I just unscrewed the barbs and removed the hose and its 2 barbs as an assembly, I lost the barb with the restrictor that was in it, did not have enough time to come up with a new one, but I feel good about the metal line,

I have enough fittings and tube to run the low pressure side when I figure out a better place to pipe the low pressure return too

I found out my drain plug is 12mm1.75 threads /mm the closest metric hydraulic line it 12mm1.5 :/, so If I use the drain for return I will need to drill one

the plug I was looking at on the left head turned out to be a alt spot for water temperature sending unit , there is a water temperature sensor installed in the right head same spot

still trying to come up with a more elegant return, but for now I can run like this indefinably now that the overheated hose is taken care of

quote:

Originally posted by TheTanSedan:
Very nice presentation, R-T, and very good thread, too, guys.

Thank you
smile.gif
and yes a lot of good knolege in the members here, I have been learning a lot about oil!

Doesn't this by-passing affect your oil pressure negatively?? especially when the oil is very hot and thin??

quote:

Originally posted by Alex D:
Doesn't this by-passing affect your oil pressure negatively?? especially when the oil is very hot and thin??

most of the time it has no affect on the main oil flow or pressure, as most of the time the oil pump is pumping more oil that can squeeze out of the bearings lifters etc. with more oil going in the system than coming out the pressure in the galley increases until the presure relief valve opens. on my truck it opens @ 70 psi. the small ammmount that the bypass filter allows out of the oil galley is just less that has to be relieved, the main restrictor in the bypass filter head is .042" quite small

when I start my truck cold the oil pressure goes strait to 70 even at idle, as I drive the oil pressure stays at 70 as long as it is above 1,000 rpm the only time that relief valve closes is warm idle where my oil pressure is arround 25psi, I cannot tell any diffrence on the guage before or after the bypass oil filter install. at hot idle the small ammount of oil that is bypassed to the filter is oil that is not lubricationg but if it does not show in the oil pressure I dont think diverting this small ammount wile waitting at a light will cause any harm, especially since it does not even show on the guage

[ November 07, 2003, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: RavenTai ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back