I'm stumped ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
At some point London'ites will have to surrender their hands, because people have been beaten to death just by fisticuffs.

Man, that slope sure was slippery.

Are you okay?
That sure was one massive tumble you just took.
I saw you at the top, blinked, and then here you are at the bottom, all covered in grass stains and mud.

You have to be careful when you start walking on slopes, as they tend to be pretty slippery, all covered in whatabout-isms.

BC.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
This thread, just like all the other similar ones should be locked and the originator given a vacation like everyone else. if you wish to be consistent that is.

If it gets reported which moderator receives the notification?

I disagree with you as to me it is a perfectly reasonable conversation. As I said before we should be able to have these types of conversation whilst recognising that we will not all have the same opinion but also respecting another person's right to have their opinion even if we disagree with it.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: exranger06
Just the military-grade ones that the average citizen has no business owning.

You've gotta define that for me. Two of my guns are quite literally "Military Grade":

1. My CADEX CDX-33 in .338LM is currently used by numerous Special Forces groups
2. My Remington 700 5R Milspec is, for all intents and purposes, the same 700 in .308 used by various sniper groups for short to medium range

I also have a Derya MK12 semi-auto mag-fed 12 gauge that looks like a scary black "military-grade" gun, despite not actually being used for that purpose.

So is your use of the term "Military Grade" intended as a mechanism to conjure up fear here, regardless of the incredible amount of ambiguity associated with it? Because that's what I'm taking away from it
21.gif

I knew as soon as I saw Ranger mention "military grade" this would come up. Its the same thing that comes up when people say AR-15s are "assault weapons". Of course technically AR-15s aren't assault weapons, but they're pretty darn powerful weapons that maybe not everyone should have? I could go out today and spend $10k on a .50 cal rifle. Yea, I'd call a .50 cal "military grade". I'd also consider most modern AR-15s "military grade" since they're probably better than what the military had 20 years ago... or even more recent.

I'd never call a wheel-gun or hunting bolt action "military grade". So I think people know whats meant by using that term.

Yes - I started this; it's in introspective of how the human condition ignores facts and focuses on emotions.

Most of you whom know me realize I'm all about facts, data, proof. This isn't about "politics"; I am NOT IN ANY MANNER blaming either party, talking about socio-sub-groups, or advocating for policy one way or another. I would argue, however, there is a general sense of "good" and "evil" in the world; always has been. Murder is murder the way I see it. Murder, by criminal legal definition, is the intent of killing someone in an unjustified manner. It is no more or less murderous when any particular tools is used.
Did cro magnans blame the stone?
Did the Mayans blame the spear?
Did the Gentiles blame the sling?
Did the Aztecs blame the lance?
Did the Cherokee blame the arrow?
It only seems that very recently in history did blaming a particular object come into a popular position. Why? What changed that in the last several decades, that we've displaced blame from people to tools?

I find the story-line interesting and perplexing all at the same time; hence - I'm stumped.
It's up to the reader to decide how he/she interprets the story as well.

My initial post was sort of tongue-in-cheek; poking fun at the Brits via the Monty Phython analogy. It's OK - I know some Brits very well; they'll see the humor in it, even if others here do not.

your post content is true.but, I don't know why you would start this type of thread, because they ALWAYS turn political. ALWAYS.
as well, very few here have a sense of humor, and would not know what tongue in cheek means.
have a good evening.

This thread, just like all the other similar ones should be locked and the originator given a vacation like everyone else. if you wish to be consistent that is.

Yeah, but I don't mind these conversations and the board is not consistent. Lots of "innocent" religion posts slip by all the time.

I never understand posts like this. Why call for a thread to get locked and the OP given a vacation? If you don't like the thread, don't read it...no one is forcing you to...

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf

I disagree with you as to me it is a perfectly reasonable conversation. As I said before we should be able to have these types of conversation whilst recognising that we will not all have the same opinion but also respecting another person's right to have their opinion even if we disagree with it.

I agree 100%!

Yes - I started this; it's in introspective of how the human condition ignores facts and focuses on emotions.

Most of you whom know me realize I'm all about facts, data, proof. This isn't about "politics"; I am NOT IN ANY MANNER blaming either party, talking about socio-sub-groups, or advocating for policy one way or another. I would argue, however, there is a general sense of "good" and "evil" in the world; always has been. Murder is murder the way I see it. Murder, by criminal legal definition, is the intent of killing someone in an unjustified manner. It is no more or less murderous when any particular tools is used.
It only seems that very recently in history did blaming a particular object come into a popular position. Why? What changed that in the last several decades, that we've displaced blame from people to tools?

I find the story-line interesting and perplexing all at the same time; hence - I'm stumped.

My initial post was sort of tongue-in-cheek; poking fun at the Brits via the Monty Phython analogy. It's OK - I know some Brits very well; they'll see the humor in it, even if others here do not.

All of those weapons you listed are not capable of killing dozens of people in minutes. This has only recently (as in, within the last 100 years) been an issue because only recently we had the technology to make such weapons.

NOBODY is trying to ban ALL guns, despite what the NRA and other gun-nuts would like you to believe. Just the military-grade ones that the average citizen has no business owning. Fully automatic guns are already essentially banned for civilians, and nobody seems to have a problem with that. Now I know that the AR-15 is not the super-dangerous annihilating machine the media makes it out to be, and I'm not so sure that it deserves to be banned. However, it unfortunately seems to be the weapon of choice for most of these school shootings, so people want to see them go away.

The problem with banning ANY type of gun is that it would just be a stepping stone for those who want to ban all guns. The anti-gun people are not going to be happy banning only AR 15s. The next movement would be to ban all semi automatic guns...

Originally Posted By: grampi

All of those weapons you listed are not capable of killing dozens of people in minutes. This has only recently (as in, within the last 100 years) been an issue because only recently we had the technology to make such weapons.

NOBODY is trying to ban ALL guns, despite what the NRA and other gun-nuts would like you to believe. Just the military-grade ones that the average citizen has no business owning. Fully automatic guns are already essentially banned for civilians, and nobody seems to have a problem with that. Now I know that the AR-15 is not the super-dangerous annihilating machine the media makes it out to be, and I'm not so sure that it deserves to be banned. However, it unfortunately seems to be the weapon of choice for most of these school shootings, so people want to see them go away.

The problem with banning ANY type of gun is that it would just be a stepping stone for those who want to ban all guns. The anti-gun people are not going to be happy banning only AR 15s. The next movement would be to ban all semi automatic guns...

I think that's a common argument, but really very weak. Remember, they DID ban the AR-15 on the federal level. The ban expired after 10 years. I don't seem to recall any attempted ban on semi automatics at the federal level although a few states still have an AR-15 ban and also a magazine capacity max of 10 rounds.

You've got to come up with a better argument. I mean if you ban jay walking, they'll soon ban walking. If they require licences for driving, soon no one will be able to drive, etc. Point is that many laws have been passed and once they passed more restrictive laws didn't necessarily follow.

You've gotta define that for me. Two of my guns are quite literally "Military Grade":

1. My CADEX CDX-33 in .338LM is currently used by numerous Special Forces groups
2. My Remington 700 5R Milspec is, for all intents and purposes, the same 700 in .308 used by various sniper groups for short to medium range

I also have a Derya MK12 semi-auto mag-fed 12 gauge that looks like a scary black "military-grade" gun, despite not actually being used for that purpose.

So is your use of the term "Military Grade" intended as a mechanism to conjure up fear here, regardless of the incredible amount of ambiguity associated with it? Because that's what I'm taking away from it
21.gif

Whoa, calm down. I'm not trying to conjure up any fear of anything. I'm not anti-gun and I actually have a pistol permit. This is the kind of knee-jerk stuff I'm talking about. Say one thing about any regulation or gun control and people freak out that you're going to take away all of their guns. When I say military grade, I'm talking about fully-automatic guns, and things that civilians have no business owning like, you know, tanks, RPGs, and nuclear missiles. Now obviously all of those things are already (essentially) banned for civilian use, and for good reason. And like I said, nobody seems to have a problem with that. The problem is, where do we draw the line and how do we decide what is too dangerous for civilian use? I for one, don't know.
The media says the AR-15 is a military weapon that a civilian doesn't need. Now like I already said, I know it's not nearly as dangerous as they make it seem and I'm not sure it should be banned. I don't know if it was designed to be "military grade" but that's the excuse everyone is using to take it away. This is the weapon of choice for school shootings and people want to see *something* be done about it.

21.gif

Whoa, calm down. I'm not trying to conjure up any fear of anything. I'm not anti-gun and I actually have a pistol permit. This is the kind of knee-jerk stuff I'm talking about. Say one thing about any regulation or gun control and people freak out that you're going to take away all of their guns. When I say military grade, I'm talking about fully-automatic guns, and things that civilians have no business owning like, you know, tanks, RPGs, and nuclear missiles. Now obviously all of those things are already (essentially) banned for civilian use, and for good reason. And like I said, nobody seems to have a problem with that. The problem is, where do we draw the line and how do we decide what is too dangerous for civilian use? I for one, don't know.
The media says the AR-15 is a military weapon that a civilian doesn't need. Now like I already said, I know it's not nearly as dangerous as they make it seem and I'm not sure it should be banned. I don't know if it was designed to be "military grade" but that's the excuse everyone is using to take it away. This is the weapon of choice for school shootings and people want to see *something* be done about it.

It's only been a popular gun lately. We had mass shootings even back in the 60's before the AR-15. I think one that comes to mind is the guy in the tower at the University of Texas. Killed 16 people with a semi auto rifle and wounded 31.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: grampi

I think that's a common argument, but really very weak. Remember, they DID ban the AR-15 on the federal level. The ban expired after 10 years. I don't seem to recall any attempted ban on semi automatics at the federal level although a few states still have an AR-15 ban and also a magazine capacity max of 10 rounds.

You've got to come up with a better argument. I mean if you ban jay walking, they'll soon ban walking. If they require licences for driving, soon no one will be able to drive, etc. Point is that many laws have been passed and once they passed more restrictive laws didn't necessarily follow.

Things are much different now than they were 10 years ago. The anti-gun people are much more aggressive now than they were then. If the AR 15s are banned, then they will claim that any gun that can fire in a semi-automatic fashion can be modified to hold more ammo, so they need to be banned as well...

21.gif

What harm is there if some law abiding civilian does own a tank or RPG?

FYI there are plenty of people who DO own RPGs and have paid the BATFE a $200 tax stamp + background check for each individual 'rocket' (since those are individual Destructive Devices per the law). Are these people suddenly felons because they own something that could be used maliciously, but they haven't actually used them maliciously?

The same for tanks. Most tanks in private ownership are demilled, but again if someone owns a working tank and never harms someone with it, then of what harm does it present to you?

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk

I knew as soon as I saw Ranger mention "military grade" this would come up. Its the same thing that comes up when people say AR-15s are "assault weapons". Of course technically AR-15s aren't assault weapons, but they're pretty darn powerful weapons that maybe not everyone should have?

.223 Remington is a powerful round? It is banned as a hunting cartridge in many places because of it being deemed insufficient for humane harvest.

The M14 and AR10 are much, MUCH more powerful rifles, chambered in .308 Winchester. At close range, my Derya is also more capable chambered in 12-gauge.

I could go out today and spend $10k on a .50 cal rifle. Yea, I'd call a .50 cal "military grade".

It's no more or less "Military Grade" than my bolt .338 Lapua Magnum. Assuming we are talking about a bolt or semi long range precision rig and not a turret mounted Browning machine gun, that's exactly what these rifles are: Long range precision rifles. Yes, the calibres, and often even the exact model is used by the Military, like my .308, but the intent of that label is to instil fear because nobody needs a "Military Grade" rifle to hunt, despite my .308 deer gun being exactly that.

How many mass shootings are committed with these scary "Military Grade" long range precision rigs? Crickets? But we need to ban them because of the scary affiliation with military use, despite there being no actual reason other than "what ifs?"

Up here in the GWN I can also go and buy a .50 today. They are non-restricted in most iterations. They remain that way because nobody goes on shooting sprees with them, regardless of what label gets thrown at them.

I'd also consider most modern AR-15s "military grade" since they're probably better than what the military had 20 years ago... or even more recent.

So the AR-15 is "better" than the AR-10 or M14? Other than being able to carry more rounds for a given mag size, I'd say that argument is pretty weak.

I'd never call a wheel-gun or hunting bolt action "military grade". So I think people know whats meant by using that term.

So what differentiates a "hunting" bolt action from a "Military Grade" bolt action? Because I'm pretty sure both of my precision bolt rifles lack the ability to choose the type of target they are fired at
wink.gif

I think the people wielding that term are using it with intent on garnering a specific reaction and those same people generally share a set of views on guns and what people should and shouldn't own.

21.gif

First, I love Reddy45's graphic.

I think your point is a great one. The "anime eyes" in the graphic is how they're now calling this stuff as "weapons of war", with tears in their eyes. So sold on a concept that is misinformed.

That said, let's think a bit further about the angle.

You could have a mag-fed BA, and get some large number of shots off. I could put a 100 round mag (if I was allowed to own one) into my Mossberg BA 5.56 and shoot nonstop. Pretty quick. It pains me to even type that in a scenario discussion to the construct that this thread is linked.

So are the military grade weapons of war the issue? Or is it the capacity to reload and rapidly fire?

Anyone arguing that guns are just a tool are misguided, IMO. No, fundamentally they aren't designed to hit targets or put holes in paper. They are tool to kill/destroy. But so is rat poison.

But like the graphic, anyone coming up looking to "compromise" given the reality of the item, are also misguided. Because there is truth in the item being intended to kill/destroy. That's why emotions come into play, and then that's why people become rabid. If it weren't it wouldn't be used as the tool of choice. So then common sense has to come into play.

IMO it does come back to number and speed. ARs wouldn't be used as the criminals' tool, if it couldn't give access to the same number of rounds, and fire off and reload with such speed.

But a non-"Weapon of war" could do a good deal of the same damage. As could poison, dynamite, etc. So then the tool itself isn't the issue, it's the refresh rate of the tool. The weepy eyes talking against "weapons of war" are misguided in blaming the firearm. But I'm not so sure they're as misguided in blaming capacity.

The best "compromise" (IMO) would be no restriction of firearms, but a limitation on the mag capacity. The issue with capacity, as someone from NJ who has 15 round limits, is that a criminal could easily drive to PA or DE and buy 20-100 round mags. I'm sure I'll be flamed for even being willing to state the term compromise, but there are 20-50% rabid, if misguided, anti gun people in this country.

So capacity limits would only work with no grandfathering and a nationwide enforcement. Block your mags, if you're caught with >10-15 rounds (as an example), you could be a felon at the state and federal level. Magblocks would be a bottom line tax credit.

But like Reddy45's graphic, that's not how it works.

And if they ban everything, then when the next massacre happens, what gets blamed next? Banned next?

Id personally compromise magazine capacity for nationwide shall issue to carry and license (because some level of competency is probably a good thing) reciprocity. But that would be a compromise... which isn't actually in anime eyes' manifesto.

The media also doesn't know anything about guns.

The Ruger Mini-14, Robinson XCR and various other guns are nary functionally identical to the AR-15 and shoot the same cartridge. Both of those guns are non-restricted in Canada, whilst the AR-15 is restricted because: scary black gun.

That's the kind of nutbar regulation people are justifiably afraid of, people with next to no knowledge on the subject making decisions regarding what they can and cannot own.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Id personally compromise magazine capacity for nationwide shall issue to carry and license (because some level of competency is probably a good thing) reciprocity. But that would be a compromise... which isn't actually in anime eyes' manifesto.

You've pretty much described our system, which is Federally managed. We have competency regulation (License + training) and 5rd limits on anything semi, save rimfire.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Isn't this post political?

3 EPA threads locked and a moderator posts something about gun control...

I'm indifferent either way personally as politics don't bother me. Heck, I even agree with the OP. Just noting the double obvious standards.
Yeah it blows my mind what he posts. He posts stuff that's way worse than a lot of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back