What has happened to customer service?

Stay out of a hospital, some employees should be collecting shopping carts at a Walmart parking lot.

Soooo many ways incompetent staff can kill you.

Surgical trays that are processed and closed / tagged….. only to be opened up in surgical room and tissue still on the instruments.

Doctors, Pharmacy, Pharmacy Techs, Nurses make mistakes with medications (incorrect meds, dosage, drug interaction).

Surgeons operating on the wrong body part, medical malpractice, patient dies after simple medical procedure,…

Etc, etc…..
How sad. I work in one of those fields and take great pride in my work. Part of the problem is that companies refuse to adequately staff, train and pay employees properly so the result is a poor experience for the customer.

I agree. There's little to no CS in DC area. I don't go out to eat much because they don't have any employees and it takes forever to get your food. Today I was on the way home and hungry and thought about stopping at several resturants but remembered the last time I was there took an hour to get my food. I just got back from 5 weeks in the FL panhandle and was blown away with the niceness of employees and the great customer service. It was everywhere down there. Brake light bulb went out in my MB ML. The only parts store nearby was a garage that carried NAPA parts. The guy looked thru his bulb in a drawer collection and came up with one that would work. He even came out and put it in. Go in a Publix store and people come up to you and ask if they can find something for you. Same thing in Walmart. These weren't kids with an attitude. I tipped well in cash whenever we went out. It's a different world down there.
Yesterday I went in a large Walmart and they had 1 cashier. I complained to a couple of employees but it won't do anything. I don't mind self checkout with a few things but with a basket full of groceries, I don't want to work for free. Especially being retired. Also Walmart is becoming very "woke" so I may forgo them in the future...except for motor oil.lol

The O'Reilly a couple of blocks from my house has been my go-to store for years, because it used to be staffed with older, knowledgeable guys. It's looking like I'm going to have to start avoiding it because of the guy they hired that apparently works there 60 hours a week. I've not paid a visit to that store in the last 3 weeks where he wasn't working the counter, and the nicest thing I can say about him is that he's a mouth breather. He has less than zero knowledge or interest in auto parts, and is clearly there for a paycheck and a place to exist for 8-plus hours a day. The man has never typed on a typewriter or computer in his life, indicated by the single-finger pecking you have to sit through to get anything looked up or rung up. Thankfully I got into the habit years ago of looking stuff up on their website first, and bringing the part number information with me, or I would be there all day. Unfortunately, this situation is just a barometer of what's going on all around us. I went into Arby's the other day because the drive-thru line was so long, and was met with such apathy from a 17-ish punk, I nearly walked out. I get it, the job sucks, but I did it for two and a half years at the Gillette, Wyoming Burger king, so chin up, entitled brats. We're dealing with at least one generation of people who feel entitled to never have to work a crap job. While I appreciate their ambition, starting at the top is not how it works unless mommy or daddy is the CEO. Customer-facing employees like this are why Amazon does so well.
Most all of us worked jobs like that at one time. If nothing else it teaches you what you don't want to do in life and motivates you to better yourself.

I know we all have seen the service side of retail degrade to where it's almost non-existent anymore, but what has happened?

People in the area of the country I live in praise Publix and CFA (I am in that camp), but in reality, they are just the bar. The smaller stores/restaurants that REALLY know how to respect the customer are the epitome of customer service.

But then there's this-

I just went to a local NAPA (locally owned). It's tucked away, off anything considered a main road, retail area, etc. You probably wouldn't go there unless you searched for Napa and wanted to go there, which I did, to get a known part.

I park. I'm the only customer there, clearly. The storefront door is held open by a door stop. There's the typical ~30 yo male standing on the curb. Unkempt hair, unkempt beard, Napa hat on, phone in one hand, vape box in the other, never looks up, never says a word, in fact, moves away (I guess in a polite move).

I walk in, no one to be seen in the store, counter, etc. I walk to the middle of the counter and stand there. I then see an office at the end of the counter, two people in there, looking at me. The man shouts out "sir, is anyone helping you?" I look both ways for anyone and shake my head no. Then there's a discussion between the man and woman about who's where. She walks out of the office and asks me what I am needing.

I tell her, year, make, model, then I tell her what I need. It's a caliper pin bushing kit. She can't find it.
I was just looking it on their website at the office. I knew I should have written the part down and took it with me. Then she finds a hardware kit. Nope, it's the bushing kit.

She finds it.

Yeah, there's some tension in the air. Probably too much, but I think a customer should be appreciated instead of being made to feel like they are bothering people. Yes, it was a whole $7 of gross revenue.

I feel things would have had a whole different air about them if someone was at the counter when I walked in and ready to go. Maybe it's just me....
Napa seems hit or mis. The one near me is amazing, they even know my name when I walk in. Part of the problem is that many automotive stores need employees but alot of people don't know squat about vehicles. If you have free time and like messing with people ask if the have a valve kit for a 1984 Mazda rx-7. Most will look forever and not find one. Then politely explain rotarys don't have valves.

My 17-year-old has worked a couple of jobs now as a busboy and at the local ski mountain. When we've visited the restaurants he's worked in the managers have come out several times to tell us how nice he is and how he always works hard. After the 4th or 5th time being told this I asked him later what was his secret? Why does he get all this praise? He said every other kid his age sits in the corner not making eye contact and trying to do the least work possible. He said he finds that really boring and would rather be on his feet moving and talking to people. He also said he works because that's what they pay me to do. The kid probably busses 75% of the tables for the same pay but he'd rather be moving than sitting. Ok...the servers tip him more because they realize they can't seat another person until the table is clean and he's Johnny on the Spot. His words, not mine, "Kids are lazy these days and take no pride in their work."
That's the way I was. I couldn't stand being bored and doing nothing. When I worked RR union jobs, the people around me hated me becaused I worked and they watched the clock all day. That taught me that I didn't want to work in a union or for the govt.

It seems that we as a society treated customer facing jobs as the lowest on the totem pole, so when the Boomers started retiring, everyone moved one pole position up on the career ladder. The professionals were professional when they were locked out of better work, and provided good customer service, because they're decent people. Now they're in a role they like better, that pays better, and likely doesn't involve the public.

How do we as customers treat B&M companies? If I get everything from rockauto except for emergency need-it-today supplies, how good is that NAPA going to be? They have to carry a bazillion part numbers now for an ever increasing fleet of potential vehicle fitments.

To return to what some would consider "good customer service" we would need a serious recession, with people hungry for every minimum wage hour they can get. I'm not comfortable with that.
Part of the issue is that in some parts of the country notably Colorado among others is the cost of living has far exceeded what people make. 10-15 years ago a one spouse could make enough to support a family of 4 or 5 and make ends meet and have money to save. Now many families both parents work to bring enough home.

Reactions: Pew
That's pretty much why 90% of people go to CFA. Although I see that trend changing if not immediately, soon. CFA is suffering from the same issues most retailers are - lack of quality labor pool. I see drive-thru lines at CFA getting longer and people spending more time in them. I live in CFA mecca. There's literally one every mile. I have seen a drastic change in service quality/time/etc at most all CFAs around me (they are operated by multiple different operators).

Also - CFA is in the early stages of being owned under the 3rd Generation of Cathys. I believe the success rate of any company, World-Wide, since the beginning of time, under a 3rd Generation is less than 5%. Time will tell.
What's CFA?

What's CFA?

Chik-fil-a

Part of the issue is that in some parts of the country notably Colorado among others is the cost of living has far exceeded what people make. 10-15 years ago a one spouse could make enough to support a family of 4 or 5 and make ends meet and have money to save. Now many families both parents work to bring enough home.

Don't tell that to the old grey beards though. They'll just keep blaming younger generations. It's almost impossible now for just one parent to work and one to stay home like how it was 30 years ago.

Last edited:
Very very true. Most customer service/relation jobs are low paying jobs; which attract inexperienced or bad workers. Shift managers and trainers would get a measly raise that was clearly not worth the time or work put into it. When I was a waiter, trainers would get a whole $0.50/hour extra to train but that wasn't worth the extra effort and time that it took to train somebody and wait on your tables. Waiters would normally lose out on this deal. The result, most of the good waiters did not train because it's not worth their time.

The good workers eventually went off to better jobs which were normally not customer-facing jobs. The bad ones...well... let's just say I respect all jobs and workers but I don't expect a NAPA cashier to give me the same attention and treatment as our AutoCAD vendor for work. As long as I don't have a problem and I get whatever I need in an orderly fashion, I could care less; it takes more effort to be mad than to not care.

They're also missing reliable electricity and infrastructure, worker safety, rights, livable wage, access to clean water, and automation of machines to do a lot of menial jobs that were historically done via human labor. Welfare has always been around in the USA. It's not like welfare came up one day and was like "Boom, you guys get lazy workers now."

Wrong. There was no such welfare until FDR....

Chik-fil-a

Don't tell that to the old grey beards though. They'll just keep blaming younger generations. It's almost impossible now for just one parent to work and one to stay home like how it was 30 years ago.

When I grew up, no one was telling anyone that working a retail job (other than store manager/etc) was a job that would provide for a family, other than an experience meat cutter in a good grocery store chain.

The retail workers, all of them other than store managers, were mostly part time or if they were full-time, those were secondary jobs in that household.

I grew up KNOWING that you shouldn't expect to house, clothe, feed and raise a FAMILY on the wages of an hourly retail/food service worker. Are you telling me that someone who grew up in south Alabama was taught better than most? Don't most of you look down on people who were raised in the south? Don't you consider that some backwoods state? Are you telling me that me, my friends and 99% of everyone I grew up with, around or went to school with were educated with some pristine knowledge about how we should find suitable employment for our future?

Napa has always been like this, they cater to repair shops and want nothing to do with retail counter sales.

I doubt this is the case anymore. Napa might cater to small-time, low-level, low-volume shops but the more serious independent shops use wholesale parts suppliers like WorldPac.

Although NAPA is headquartered in the Atlanta metro area, Norcross specifically. I used to work a mile from the HQ. I would buy from that store at times. The service there is much better, they have better employees, but it's corporate owned and they generally have what you need because their orders are filled from the adjacent warehouse that stocks the stores.

I remember going to auto parts stores before most people had the internet. You’d walk up to the counter and the employees would make you wait at the counter while they answered the phone for the guy wanting to know the price and availability of parts. It seemed Napa was the worst offender as people back then regarded Napa as being better quality and would always call them last in case they had a decent price.
This makes perfect sense-- you're already more committed as a customer vs "phone guy" who could call the next number down in the yellow pages.

When I grew up, no one was telling anyone that working a retail job (other than store manager/etc) was a job that would provide for a family, other than an experience meat cutter in a good grocery store chain.

The retail workers, all of them other than store managers, were mostly part time or if they were full-time, those were secondary jobs in that household.

I grew up KNOWING that you shouldn't expect to house, clothe, feed and raise a FAMILY on the wages of an hourly retail/food service worker. Are you telling me that someone who grew up in south Alabama was taught better than most? Don't most of you look down on people who were raised in the south? Don't you consider that some backwoods state? Are you telling me that me, my friends and 99% of everyone I grew up with, around or went to school with were educated with some pristine knowledge about how we should find suitable employment for our future?

Back in the day one of the top jobs for a high schooler to make some money was to be a box boy or bagger at the supermarket. He also helped with taking the groceries to the cars if requested. Items had to be priced. Floors swept and so on.

By being a hard worker and being helpful you also gained the respect of others and in many cases that hard work was noticed by those who could offer better jobs.

Ya just give them the part number. I did this with a neighbor whose step daughter owns a Jeep Compass. You know the ones that use copper spark plugs in 2014 still. I didn't even bother with the make or model. Just went into Advance Auto and said I needed 4 NGK 2262 please. In & out under 10 minutes. I do know if I went to Autozone and went the other way with make & model someone would have tried to upsell me on platinums which won't work.

The one Napa I had around me closed, shame too it was the better place for parts and some good conjecture depending on who was at the counter.

If you start people at $25 a hour you will get better employees. Nope, you just get the same dead beat mericans feeling they should be making $35 a hour.
This really pisses me off in the way I started from nothing in 2003 with no degree to pretty much being able to run any warehouse my company wants me to go too in 20 yrs. I bust ass and make a lot of OT(less now with the economy) for my $30.

SO ya go make $25 at Arby's please and then complain that's not enough. I feel ya.

There are definitely places that are losing business for crappy service. I’ll give you a story that happened today as a positive note.

I bought a Klipsch R-120SW from Crutchfield on April 3rd, 2021. It had some internal issue that it wouldn’t power up, but after a few days of messing it came on. I used it for awhile, but it quit powering up maybe a year ago. I just kinda forgot about it; I have another Klipsch sub so I wasn’t without. Today I call Crutchfield just to see maybe if they can help me get it repaired; I explained I knew it was my bad for waiting so long and I understood it was going to cost me.

Caesar the tech rep said, “No worries sir, I’m mailing you out a brand new one today. Please just make sure to take the enclosed return label and get the defective sub back to us within 14 days.” I’m like….. WHAAAAAT? I didn’t abuse the sub, but I knew this wasn’t typical Klipsch quality… but to have Crutchfield do a literal 2-year on the spot warranty??

I decided today that paying retail isn’t necessarily all bad when it comes with protection like this! Bravo, Crutchfield!
This is why I will continue to praise ECStuning.com for any and all VW/Audi needs.

Ordered parts for the 2016 Tiguan, never used them and sat in the box for almost a year. I ask if I could return them and their response...

"No problem Mr. Heckman, as long as they are sealed & unused you will get a full refund minus the return shipping."

1678137707458.jpg

My youngest Son was 16 years old during the recession that started on or about 2008. He was unable to find a part time job. The area we lived in at the time was impacted hard from the recession (and the area never recovered- but that is not relevant to this thread).

Since my youngest Son could not get a paying job, he was required to work for free. He received a non-paying apprenticeship at a local independent paint store. The store was only busy on Saturdays, so my Son worked Saturdays from 7am to 5pm. All for no pay. Every Saturday was working nine hours for free, and reporting to work 15 minutes early. No sleeping in on Saturdays.

We all have different values. In our household, one is required to work and contribute to the household, community, and country. My youngest Son today is now 28 years old, and is at basic training. He broke his leg ten days into basic training last October. He was offered to be separated from basic training. He chose instead to stay at basic training until his leg healed. Two weeks ago the docs cleared him to return to training. My son called me last Sunday to share he was back to training, did rappelling and other confidence building activities since returning to training.

My Son can only have his phone once a week, on Sundays, for five minutes. At 28, being restricted from comforts and some basic freedoms we all enjoy must have been a shock to him. He could have easily quit and justified it with a broken leg. But he was raised that he owes the USA, not the other way around. He was also raised that being part of something greater than himself is a good thing.

The late JFK stated, "it is what you can do for your country, not what your country can do for you". I think that mindset extended to family, friends', community, and employer. And is a best practice if the awesome American opportunity of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is available to future generations of Americans.

My 17-year-old has worked a couple of jobs now as a busboy and at the local ski mountain. When we've visited the restaurants he's worked in the managers have come out several times to tell us how nice he is and how he always works hard. After the 4th or 5th time being told this I asked him later what was his secret? Why does he get all this praise? He said every other kid his age sits in the corner not making eye contact and trying to do the least work possible. He said he finds that really boring and would rather be on his feet moving and talking to people. He also said he works because that's what they pay me to do. The kid probably busses 75% of the tables for the same pay but he'd rather be moving than sitting. Ok...the servers tip him more because they realize they can't seat another person until the table is clean and he's Johnny on the Spot. His words, not mine, "Kids are lazy these days and take no pride in their work."
PW, rest well knowing that you have raised your child well. He will not only be ok, but will lead his contemporaries. My 3 boys are the same way. They all now work in the IT industry as computer science engineers. From my perspective it feels really good that my wife and I parented them well.

Back