I'm DONE with "premium" oil filters

When I was 17,1992, my local Mobil gas station,now gone,was my go to place. I had a 1983/84 buck century my dad gave me. The mechanic,pricey,john, was older school.he understood mechanics,but didnt understand sensors,so I was told by another mechanic he knew him,later in life. A mechanic thier, kinda looked like a Caucasian jimmy hendrix, red bushy Hendrix like hair..I asked about oil filters one day.he told me, he didn't like frams.cardboard endcaos.might leak. Best filter was oem,dealer/factory. He said, as long as you change your oil and filter every 3,000 months your good I don't know if he also said 3 month.my dad did it every 6 months. We had under 3,000 miles by then.
The mechanic also said,the efficiency didn't matter as long as you follow your oil change,the engine car will last .
So! In my oil changes,taking filters apart.I find,it does matter. Oil was black but not as thick or black with wix,Napa gold,pureone. 3,700 miles in 4 month windows.but with gram oranges,supertech,car quest blue,oil was thicker,blacker.
That's my experiences.
I remember the mechanic.dunno where he went.jimmy Hendrix looking with red hair!
Buy Hastings brand and be done with losing sleep.

I haven't noticed any decrease in quality. Still feel solid as a rock to me. I've been using for about 150,000 in my Tacoma, and I have 314,000 miles now. Draw your own conclusions, I'm staying with Hastings.

ST MP10060

How does the glue look ? Is it ok ? Thx

w88u9cj.jpg

IKgR7Mm.jpg

4HZ35DA.jpg

rJULIQK.jpg

eyS7ojq.jpg

ST MP10060

How does the glue look ? Is it ok ? Thx
i'm more curious what phone you used to take such a great close up. my iphone 13, maybe i don't know how to use it, doesnt focus well and let me get close like that.

Your SuperTech oil filter looks fine btw.

i'm more curious what phone you used to take such a great close up. my iphone 13, maybe i don't know how to use it, doesnt focus well and let me get close like that.

Your SuperTech oil filter looks fine btw.
Just a iphone xr with the flash. Make sure your lens is clean (common mistake by most).

Last edited:
Thanks Zee. I guess when they talk about glue being on the wrong side of the filter, it's the old nasty black stuff , that just peels up like latex ? Pleats look very uniform.
All filters that I've seen with a metal center tube usually have a glue seam where the center tube meets the end cap. I just took this photo of the Fram Titanium (FS7317) I bought last weekend - the glue seam is very visible and uniform. The glue/sealant used is typically very adhered to the metal and pretty had (not "rubbery"), and is pretty hard to break off the metal. So that glue should be no problem even if it's visible on the clean side of the media.

1658971819535.png

Last edited:
VW bug engines did not have an oil filter.
They made them by the millions and some are still around.
So how important is an oil filter?
VW Bugs had an oil strainer and those things would get filthy. I had a 1974 Super Beetle and I was always amazed how filthy that thing would get for my then 3k OCI. That was my first engine that I ran HDEO in.

Last edited:
My 2001 Corolla had nearly 300k miles on it when my son totaled it. It ran the last 200k miles on super tech ow-20 synthetic oil and the cheapest fram filter I could find. I changed the transmission fluid and filter too at 150k with super tech tranny fluid. Didn’t use any oil and that series was prone to it. I changed the oil every 4-5k miles and it ran like a top. I was pretty upset when he destroyed it, I bet I could have gotten her to 400k.

My 2001 Corolla had nearly 300k miles on it when my son totaled it. It ran the last 200k miles on super tech ow-20 synthetic oil and the cheapest fram filter I could find. I changed the transmission fluid and filter too at 150k with super tech tranny fluid. Didn’t use any oil and that series was prone to it. I changed the oil every 4-5k miles and it ran like a top. I was pretty upset when he destroyed it, I bet I could have gotten her to 400k.
well hopefully your son is ok. if the engine and tranny survived that might keep 2 other corolla's on the road if some on is wise enough to spot how well maintained those were.

It just goes to show how many people are neglecting the oil/fluid changes. Imagine what a nightmare it would be for the car industry if every one just changed there own motor oil with synthetic every 5k and drain and filled the transmission at 75k and then every 50k.

I agree, all premium filters should be 99% at, AT 20 microns. USA made. silicone ADBV.

There seems to be different tiers of filters:
DIY price competitive cheapest possible
Jobbers for shops
some mid range offerings
top of the line filtration+milage.
boutique filters

What are the best "top of the line filtration + mileage" filters. Next question, what are the boutique filters, and are they arguably better than the top of the line?

But to respond to the OP, yeah those lousy colleges can teach their students to be false if they want to, but it won't be without a price. That's not how any good business runs. And there's consequences for your actions. Those colleges have fallen from their once lofty positions, most of the old respect they once held is gone. And the companies their students go on to run, will be eventually fall to someone who does things the right way. That's because nobody actually wants to do business with some shady company. And in the information age, word gets around fast.

See Tesla pushing all the other automakers aside for reference. Or what Amazon came along and did to everyone else who wasn't on top of their game. I get that you're just citing the state of things, but it won't last and it's unlikely every company has a policy of being scumbags as you've outlined. Just need to identify the ones who have competent people running the show.

Everyone involved in the accident was fine thank goodness, the Corolla was crushed and sold for scrap metal unfortunately. It was a great car and had a good life I suppose lol. I agree regular service is key, I also believe more frequent oil changes with good synthetic oil are far more important than what filter you run. There’s so much cheap good quality synthetic oil around there’s really no need for 10k oil change intervals. I just got done changing my wife’s oil in her 2021 Honda passport and was in the manual looking up how to reset the oil reminder. I read the recommended oil change interval is 15k for it! No way, I‘ll change it every 5k & the engine will last forever.

Everyone involved in the accident was fine thank goodness, the Corolla was crushed and sold for scrap metal unfortunately. It was a great car and had a good life I suppose lol. I agree regular service is key, I also believe more frequent oil changes with good synthetic oil are far more important than what filter you run. There’s so much cheap good quality synthetic oil around there’s really no need for 10k oil change intervals. I just got done changing my wife’s oil in her 2021 Honda passport and was in the manual looking up how to reset the oil reminder. I read the recommended oil change interval is 15k for it! No way, I‘ll change it every 5k & the engine will last forever.
With DI engines being such heavy oil diluters no way would I run a filter 15,000 miles!

I run a washable Hubb and washable Earl Filter (System 1) for a few years now. Both have magnets in them and clean easy. Both vehicles are doing good and good oil pressure, no problems.

Back