IF you were to buy a 3/4 ton truck........

My take, get a gas engine.

The Ford has the most power, and can be configured a million different ways, but rides worst and shifts worst (that 10 speed is not smooth). They had trouble with delaminating cams, not sure if that is fixed. The aluminum saves weight and won't rust, but it can still corrode and repairs can get costly vs steel.

The GMC/Chevy has the more reliable gas engine, some do burn a bit of oil but oil choice can affect this (apparently). They ride better than the Ford and have a smoother 10 speed than Ford. The newest years do have a better interior but IMHO still behind Ram. It is the next strongest engine behind the Ford 7.3.

The Ram has the nicest interior, rides best in either coils or air, but doesn't carry weight as well. It has trouble with eating lifters occasionally and has the smallest cab and no flat floor option. It only has an 8 speed but it is a very good transmission made by ZF and won't give you a single problem there. It has the weakest engine.

Personally I'd get a Chevy with the 6.6 and run a good oil.

Ram has the most dated 3/4 ton platform and powertrains at this point. And for a multitude of other reasons, they would be dead last on my list unless you are working under severe budgetary constraints.

I’m a ram truck guy, but from the info given, I’d be looking closely at GM with the duramax, unless it’s going to see a lot of short trips, than he’ll need a gasser.

My take, get a gas engine.

The Ford has the most power, and can be configured a million different ways, but rides worst and shifts worst (that 10 speed is not smooth). They had trouble with delaminating cams, not sure if that is fixed. The aluminum saves weight and won't rust, but it can still corrode and repairs can get costly vs steel.

The GMC/Chevy has the more reliable gas engine, some do burn a bit of oil but oil choice can affect this (apparently). They ride better than the Ford and have a smoother 10 speed than Ford. The newest years do have a better interior but IMHO still behind Ram. It is the next strongest engine behind the Ford 7.3.

The Ram has the nicest interior, rides best in either coils or air, but doesn't carry weight as well. It has trouble with eating lifters occasionally and has the smallest cab and no flat floor option. It only has an 8 speed but it is a very good transmission made by ZF and won't give you a single problem there. It has the weakest engine.

Personally I'd get a Chevy with the 6.6 and run a good oil.
Ford has narrowed down option packages, with some things being standard-which of course prices (MSRP) being raised accordingly. In short-trucks are not configurable as they once were. Ford is hoping this improves their abysmal quality control.

Money wise I rather suspect the Ram is going to be the least expensive option. I saw a video this weekend from caredge showing that the Ram 2500 has a 318 day supply in the US market. It would seem that Ram will need to put quite a bit of money on the hood to sell off this inventory

Also, is Ford not having engine issues with the 7.3 Godzilla?

My FIL has owned and run a lot of 3/4 ton fords in relatively severe service in his business. He uses one as his personal vehicle too. They’re ok.

I find the ram and Chevy much nicer inside, even in low trims, personally.

I’ll put a dissenting opinion. If he isn’t going to put huge miles, and it will be kept nice, get a Ram Cummins. It will be easy to unload when he’s ready to sell it, there will always be lots of willing buyers for a well kept one, and notionally his use profile won’t drive it far enough to ever encounter the emissions controls stuff.

Of course any well kept 3/4 ton will have a decent future market, but the diesels will return better MPGs and resale, fwiw.

Ford with the 7.3 V8, they are holding up well under commercial usage (minus the early cam issue when the 7.3 was released).
I like the Fords and own one but it doesn’t appear that ford has addressed the cam/lifter issues. 2020 was the first year of the motor and lots of 2022s out there with reports of the failed lifters/cam surfaces. And even starting to see some 23/24s now popping up with what appears to be the same issue.

What does a moderately equipped truck with a diesel/4wd/8 foot bed/ double cab, strong enough frame for a plow gonna cost out the door nowadays?

What does a moderately equipped truck with a diesel/4wd/8 foot bed/ double cab, strong enough frame for a plow gonna cost out the door nowadays?
Whatever it is- it's too much. I don't feel like having $10k in the bank after warranty is done to look after repairs.

I bought a high-optioned XLT Premium CCSB 4x4 F-250 diesel in 2018, brand-new off the lot for $54k. Building the same truck on the Ford website has me, at a minimum, at $82k for a 2024, and that's before taxes, fees, etc and omitting some things mine has like gooseneck prep.

As much as I like the 6.7L, unless you have a very specific need for a diesel in 2024, I don't think the $10-15k premium is worth it. GM 3/4-ton non-AFM gasser would be my vote, except they've having some seemingly widespread issues with fuel modules they can't sort out.

3/4 ton? New? $60k for a Chevy work truck 2500. $61.4k for Ram 2500. $63.7k for an F250.

Whatever it is- it's too much. I don't feel like having $10k in the bank after warranty is done to look after repairs.
The OP alluded to the fact that the last new truck was from the mid 1980's. Sticker shock may be in his future. Spending $65k+ on a diesel is what it costs to play anymore. Not too shocking to see these trucks close to $85k-100K depending on trim and wheels, accesories, lift kits etc....Crew Cab diesel in 4WD is $68K with incentives. It looks like a crew cab 8" box, Hemie 4wd is in the upper $50's after incentives. I bought a brand new Ford, 3/4 ton, diesel, 4WD, XLT Lariat in 1990 for $27K. I imagine in 1985 they were $25K. times have changed.

Last edited:
Back