If you couldn't change oil again

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your apartment or condo won't let you change oil in the parking lot or your not mobil enough, ask around until you find a dependable mechanic. Someone will do a good job. Once a year would be better than never.

Its interesting that this isn't a more common topic. Of course bitog isn't known for being a discussion forum.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: 93cruiser
Thankfully we are all able to change our oil though. So why is this question asked?

Some of us live in apartments or condos that don't allow oil changes in the parking lot. Some people are not mobile enough. I have too many other things to do. I hate the mess. I don't like taking gallons of nasty oil in my car for disposal. I want to tinker with my car in other ways. And I don't want to take it to grease monkeys that strip out the drain plug and over tighten the filter and otherwise do more damage than they fix. I just feel that no change policy puts me ahead of the game.

This is the most amazing conclusion I have come across here in years.

Who cares about their care enough to not let "grease monkeys" POSSIBLY (not likely) strip the drain plug, yet not care enough to change the oil when necessary?

Somebody likes to tinker on cars but not change oil? I can't imagine that person is able to replace a ball joint or change the exhaust if they can't be bother with 10 minutes of draining oil once a year or two? What is your definition of tinkering then? Picking between "New car smell" or "Pine" when you are air freshener shopping?

Somebody lives in a condo and can't work on their car? Cool, take it to the million other places that will do it. Nobody is that busy they can't find 30 minutes sometime once a year. Not mobile enough? Cool, see my last answer.

That list is a stack of terrible excuses.

This question of a "forever" oil is a sort of fun hypothetical but people that practices this in real life and try to justify it ESPECIALLY when they fashion themselves as a "car person", is just an idiot.

jaygThis question of a "forever" oil is a sort of fun hypothetical but people that practices this in real life and try to justify it ESPECIALLY when they fashion themselves as a "car person" said:
I'm an idiot.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: 93cruiser
Thankfully we are all able to change our oil though. So why is this question asked?

Some of us live in apartments or condos that don't allow oil changes in the parking lot. Some people are not mobile enough. I have too many other things to do. I hate the mess. I don't like taking gallons of nasty oil in my car for disposal. I want to tinker with my car in other ways. And I don't want to take it to grease monkeys that strip out the drain plug and over tighten the filter and otherwise do more damage than they fix. I just feel that no change policy puts me ahead of the game.

This is the most amazing conclusion I have come across here in years.

Who cares about their care enough to not let "grease monkeys" POSSIBLY (not likely) strip the drain plug, yet not care enough to change the oil when necessary?

Somebody likes to tinker on cars but not change oil? I can't imagine that person is able to replace a ball joint or change the exhaust if they can't be bother with 10 minutes of draining oil once a year or two? What is your definition of tinkering then? Picking between "New car smell" or "Pine" when you are air freshener shopping?

Somebody lives in a condo and can't work on their car? Cool, take it to the million other places that will do it. Nobody is that busy they can't find 30 minutes sometime once a year. Not mobile enough? Cool, see my last answer.

That list is a stack of terrible excuses.

This question of a "forever" oil is a sort of fun hypothetical but people that practices this in real life and try to justify it ESPECIALLY when they fashion themselves as a "car person", is just an idiot.

I agree with a lot of that. But, My 84 burban is a redneck toolshed and dump vehicle and sees about 100 miles a year. The vette about 500-1000. The mustang only gets used in the summer and goes a couple hundred miles in 1 or 2 trips a week

I had a seldom used BBC C-20 that got an oil change twice. Once right after I built the engine
I see Turttlevette's point, and annual mileage, and agree. Just use good oil and keep an eye on it
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back