If you couldn't change oil again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
My plow truck has a perfectly rounded drain plug that won't come off with vise grips, extractors, any of that business.

I stuck some aquarium bubbler line down the dipstick hole and siphoned out the old black goo. It drained a quart per day!

Once most of that was out I put some rotella 10w30 in, "for life", along with a "blue mountain" filter I got for a buck at lowes a while back.

That’s impressive.

There are vacuum extractors made for changing engine oil, relatively inexpensive.

Back in the day (say 1969), my foreman in Forestry had a 327 Stingray that he AutoRX'd. He beat on that small block mercilessly. He also ran a full flow filter and a by-pass filter (Franz). He changed the oil about every 5 years. And that was oil back then. I think he was running Sta-Lube 10W-40 ...

He had no engine problems or oil related failures. Occasionally he would get small shiny flakes in the toilet paper (Scott's IIRC ...). But they were non-magnetic and often gold'ish - so we assumed they were the distributor and oil pump drive gears flaking off now and then ...

With modern oils, I would have no qualms about doing similar. Any of the top tier oils would prolly work. Redline will certainly last a long time if kept clean
smile.gif

Since RL is down the road about 30 minutes (on a good day with light traffic) I'd just get a case, change the oil and keep the rest for top-ups and maybe filter changes
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
My plow truck has a perfectly rounded drain plug that won't come off with vise grips, extractors, any of that business.

I stuck some aquarium bubbler line down the dipstick hole and siphoned out the old black goo. It drained a quart per day!

Once most of that was out I put some rotella 10w30 in, "for life", along with a "blue mountain" filter I got for a buck at lowes a while back.
Do you have a welder? You could weld a nut on the end of the plug

I've got Penrite HPR15 in my Volvo, I'm not changing it again - at 5,000km a year, in 5 years it will have done 25,000km, and the oil will still be good...the car may not be.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Which oil would you choose to leave in forever.

I put 40wt redline in the 75 vette several years ago and plan to leave it. I have $2 valvoline 5w20 in the old 84 suburban and Mobil 1 sale oil in the 02 suburban.

I plan to continue to change the 08 mustangs oil every couple of years. I have to change the trans AM's oil every 3-6 months due to coolant contamination.

Probably the idemitsu 0w-20 in there now for how it quelled and muted a grind I was having so any oil who can rescue me like that has my vote and is tugging at my heart-tails. (The Valvoline FS 5w-20 or the 0w-20 for that low NOACK has got my eye.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Alex_V
Schaeffer's or Amsoil in everything. Maybe Ams in the Cruze's gas turbo 1.4.

Are you sure....My feeling is Schaeffer's is mostly a Group 3 oil company. I will take the Amsoil Signature Series every time.

Johnny, Johnny, Johnny....."If you can't change your oil you'd better sell that car because you have no real excuse to be driving."

What about my poor mother who learned to drive the year Dad took ill? She was 64 when she got her first license and I didn't even bother to coach her on checking oil level let alone anything else mechanical. She very much "had a real excuse" to be driving.

What is it with some people?

All my vehicles are low mileage, so no oil change could work. I bought a brand new Buick gn in 86 put m1 15w50 in and don't remember changing the oil. Oil change places didn't even have synthetic and I couldn't change oil in the parking lot of my condo complex. I sold the car with around 80k miles

If I remember correctly, Mobil advertised M1 as a no change oil. That's one reason why I was OK doing it.

I was wondering what you'd do. This thread has got me thinking about just topping off the 89 and maybe changing the filter ever year and a half or so.

Depends on engine conditions and whether fuel dilution is an issue ... A TBI small block in good shape can go a long time on good oil
smile.gif
Add a by-pass filter and you are prolly talking 25,000 miles or better between changes
smile.gif

I would think mobil 1 0w20 annual protection for my tundra and rav 4. Thankfully we are all able to change our oil though. So why is this question asked?

Originally Posted By: 93cruiser
Thankfully we are all able to change our oil though. So why is this question asked?

Some of us live in apartments or condos that don't allow oil changes in the parking lot. Some people are not mobile enough. I have too many other things to do. I hate the mess. I don't like taking gallons of nasty oil in my car for disposal. I want to tinker with my car in other ways. And I don't want to take it to grease monkeys that strip out the drain plug and over tighten the filter and otherwise do more damage than they fix. I just feel that no change policy puts me ahead of the game.

Last edited:
Maybe Amsoil ASF commercial small engine oil in SAE40/ 10w40. Tougher than Godzilla!

Last edited:
Thankfully we are all able to change our oil though. So why is this question asked?

Some of us live in apartments or condos that don't allow oil changes in the parking lot. Some people are not mobile enough. I have too many other things to do. I hate the mess. I don't like taking gallons of nasty oil in my car for disposal. I want to tinker with my car in other ways. And I don't want to take it to grease monkeys that strip out the drain plug and over tighten the filter and otherwise do more damage than they fix. I just feel that no change policy puts me ahead of the game.

so you really are going to never change the oil? Sounds expensive

And this is why you should verify the maintenance history of any used car...

Originally Posted By: jayg
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
PU every 5k

The oil you would leave forever is Pennzoil Ultra every 5k miles. Nailed it.

Reading comprehension was never my forte
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back