I Need A Good Canned Beer For Party!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wifey's Birthday is coming up and I have reservations at a local Day's Inn to have a pool party for her! She is really excited. A couple months ago someone told her beer makes you fat so she went cold turkey off her beloved Fat Tire! She really misses having a beer with me now and again. She likes flavorful beers but not IPA's. She likes session abv levels. And she feels it is time to have a few on her B-Day on May 12th. She has asked me to get her and her guests something really delicous for the party. Thing is the hotel will allow beer at the pool but only in cans! I haven't had a beer from a can in a long time. I thought about trading for Surly but the alcohol levels seem a bit high for wifey's liking. Can you folks recommend something that is sessionable and comes in a can.

I can get this one from Liquid Solutions...

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1075/25414

All recommendations are welcome and if you know of any place that sells canned beer online please let me know. The local canned beer choices are BMC. Wifey is expecting Craft beer so her Macro drinking quests will have something to talk about besides weight loss, real estate, and other boring things.

By the way I have shown wifey articles about beer and weight loss(she was never fat) and she nows feels it is okay to have a few and still be slim! Thank goodness for the recent philosophy change in her way of thinking. And do tell me your favorite beer from a can whether or not it is sessionable, I may have to find a sixxer of Ten Fidy for myself so I can review and perhaps share with my FIL who will be there.

Thanks!(By the way I have posted this on a major beer forum site but thought it would be profitable to share this topic with my buds here at BITOG.)

Session beer is beer generally around 5% abv or less.

Ten Fidy is a Russian Imperial Stout brewed in Colorado.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2681/34483

natural light, natural ice, schaeffer, pabst blue ribbon... all quality picks.
wink.gif

Actually, if I was drinking beer from a can, it would be Young's oatmeal stout... tasty, and IIRC, stouts tend to nearly be light beers, take the calories in Guiness, for example. Im no expert though.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/152/928/

I actually do enjoy budweiser from a can. Don't know why, but it is good to me. MGD isnt bad either, but neither of these are really interesting or really tasty picks.

What about plastic bottles???

JMH

Last edited:
Black Russians and Coke and rum using Bacardis 151 Rum make for an exciting party !!! Though I do not drink.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
Do you want to see these people again? Beer choice should be made accordingly.
wink.gif

Of course I want to see this people again! Friends and family. I just want something delicous and interesting. Kegs are not allowed.

I have some good recommendations from BeerAdvocate.com but I want to see what you guys recommend.

Camu,

You mentioned the Oskar Blues Ten Fidy, thats a Impy Stout and way heavy for drinking, more of a sipping beer, if available get the Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale, great session drinking beer in a can, good luck!

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I have to totally disagree with Z, those brews are just terrible. In the world of cans, you are very, VERY limited. If you really want to surprize her and she's basically told you I don't care what it is, make it good, and you know her favorite beer....Flat Tire, then I'd say your plan is already written out. You just have to make it happen and forget costs.
Call the company and get a keg sent to you. Shouldn't be too bad from Texas to Nebraska if you go ground. Get a new, clean large trash can and crash cool it up until the day of the party. I wouldn't even mention it to the hotel, you are using a large can but pouring it in cups. They'll probably prefer that method since you won't have cans all over the place and especially if there are other non-party attendees with kids. Those beer cans are labeled and it's not like you can hide it whereas with cups, it's not as visible.
If that option doesn't work, find a microbrew in your area. I'm sure there are some at least by Univ. Nebraska, and they will be happy to sell you a keg. I would then, if you go that route, get a good balanced wheat beer. Low ABV, great taste, and a good spring brew. You also can't go wrong with an American Amber type. With the hop shortage and depending on the style of brew you get, don't freak when you see the price. Also, if you are about "all things beer" and know your beer, a lot of recipes have changed because of the hop shortage, mostly Hallertau, which is used in a lot of the German beer styles.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
a lot of recipes have changed because of the hop shortage, mostly Hallertau, which is used in a lot of the German beer styles.

Hops from the Hallertau region in Bavaria are used in 1/3 of worldwide beer production. The Hallertau has only 926 square miles, and hops are only one of the crops grown there. Hop production increased by 12% in 2007 (compared to 2006) and 6,400 tons were produced. It's not that there's a hop shortage, it's that there are just too many very thirsty beer drinkers!
48.gif

Schmoe I didn't say Flat Tire, I said Fat Tire. Anyways New Belgium is in Colorado and kegs are readily available in Nebraska. The hotel owners said specifically no kegs! Cups or not. Or I would have went that route.

If you guys want Hallertau Hops simply buy Sam Adams Boston Lager which is hopped using only noble Hallertau and Tettnang hops and is very delicous.

This is what will be served at the party all from cans even the Witbier from Belgium...

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/718/2477

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13302/28751

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/11207/34850

Good choices!

Good canned beer is relatively hard to find. I wish there were more of it because it's a great way to keep it fresh.

Luckily I live in MN, so I have access to all the delicious Surly that I can drink! (Surly beers only come in cans or on tap) (Except Darkness, but good luck finding that) (I have two bottles of Darkness in my fridge!)
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
You're hosed. You can't get what she wants in a can unless price is no object. So get her PBR. Remind her it's the latest craze with hip youth.

Or, try the small keg and plastic cup thing.

Either way, it's all about the party and friends, not the drink.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back