I MUST CONFESS... I am a MIXER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will usually add a bottle or two of synthetic blend to my bottles of full synthetic to save a few bux. Sometimes I will buy three Mobil 1's and add two regular Mobil dinos to them. Is this a BAD thing?

Also another sin I have is using three 10-30's with three 5-30's to get a 7.5-30 weight oil in my drag car. Is this a bad thing, am I going to oil HELL??
shocked.gif

Kevin Hinkley (HInk)
freak2.gif

Certainly not going to hurt(mixing syn with non syn). But if you are worried about the $$-go with the 100 syn and just keep it in longer. 7-8K miles is certainly an OK # even without oil analysis (IMHO).

You really can't say what the final viscosity will be when you mix, but I do (sometimes) a 3 qt 10W-30 Mobil 1 with 1 qt of 15W-30.

Kevin, instead of mixing to get a blend, go straight to the Schaeffer's Supreme 7000 blend. It's cheaper than Mobil 1, and it outperforms a lot of more costly oils too.

As far as mixing weights, why are you doing this? Why not just go with 10w30 for the red beast? Why do you think it needs a viscosity somewhere in between 10w30 and 5w30?

If you look around at the specs on all kinds of different 5w30s and 10w30s out there, you'll notice that many of them have different viscosities at 40 celcius. So not all oils of the same rated viscosity will be the same thickness when cold. So if you want an oil that is a bit thinner when cold than your typical 10w30, look around at the specs and find an oil that has a lower viscosity at 40c than all of it's competitors.

And here I thought this post was going to be all about how you were telling us that you are a rap DJ by night! We'll just call you Mix Master Stinky!
grin.gif

[ December 05, 2002, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Redbird,

"Also another sin I have is using three 10-30's with three 5-30's to get a 7.5-30 weight oil in my drag car. Is this a bad thing, am I going to oil HELL??"

Revolutions 25:7, "thou shalt do no mixing unless thou hast done thy reasearch and performed Oil analysis faithfully, lest thy engine's soul be cast into the burning, smelly, hydrocarbons pits of hades."
lol.gif

[ December 06, 2002, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

You left out the purgatory of oil analysis...

Nevertheless, one is to be commended for confessing ones sins here on the forum rather than allowing them to fester within.

[ December 06, 2002, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: ex_MGB ]

I am a recovering mixaholic
frown.gif
I got into some trouble and my ParOIL Officer shows up unanounced and takes a oil sample . It is part of the early release program here for offenders like us.I also cannot be caught in a auto parts store after dark.

Once I wanted to take off south to mexico and be free again . When I learned there was only one type oil there I almost lost control and mixed some oil in my neighbors car.

My name is L8274 and I am a mixaholic

Hey y'all,
back when I was 16, and oil was cheap...I actually bought the "on sale" stuff,,,,used it to cut the GOOD stuff.....you know, the stuff they sold at gas stations.
Been hard at it ever since....guess I'm not gonna make it to "oil purist" heaven...
oh well, life has been fun, trucks have come and gone, I'm still here....I reckon mixing oil ain't gonna kill me....mixing tequila might though....of course, nobody does that.....that would be a sin.
I'm celebrating! power just came back on. The power boys just scored another big one,,,mother nature you're tough alright, but we just don't give up!!! hoo' waaa for the power boy's.....(Carolina Power and Light....and all the folks from other places helping!!!)
Rando
Hope everyone has been ok through the ice storm!!

In a former life I was the Pope's "Brewmeister" until this activity was declared a CARDINAL sin!

Okay, back to listening to Mannheim Steamroller and Christmas music.

[ December 06, 2002, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

It sounds like he is happy . I wish I could have a toast with him using some castrol and valvoline
frown.gif

So here's too you as I drink pennzoil alone
patriot.gif

MolaKule,
Chip Davis and Fresh Aire FOREVER!
I got hooked on Steamroller in the late 70's by my cousin and there's no cure in sight!
Are you familiar with Erich Kunzel's work on Telarc? If not,try it(Star Tracks or 1812 to start).
Mark

i do the mix but i dont really go to full syntetic much..only a blend..1 qt. i used to go full syntetic 1qt blend but got lazy...nothing bad happend...yet?

I used to mix too. I used half Mobil 1 and half Mobil dino. I was worried about seal swell but wanted the benefit of synthetic oil in the crankcase. Sometimes I just used one quart of the dino if I wanted to "clean" the engine.

I also figured my mixture had a higher concentration of the "synthetic" part than a synthetic blend. We all know synthetic blends are only required to have 10% synthetic.

I don't think the seals are a problem anymore with modern formulations. Nowadays I'm trying to figure out if I should go to straight dino. I do feel the Mobil 1 leaves the engine cleaner, but I don't think it cleans as well as some think. The use of a cleaner such as Neutra, Auto-RX, lube control, or lubegard (I am not knowledgable on the effectiveness of the entire list) is still necessary on an occasional basis.

At best, IMHO, cleaners can be used less often with oils that have 'better' detergency. I like it that way. I'd rather have the oil focus on wear protection than being the best cleaner.

[ December 07, 2002, 07:07 AM: Message edited by: jjbula ]

quote:

Originally posted by Redbird:
I will usually add a bottle or two of synthetic blend to my bottles of full synthetic to save a few bux. Sometimes I will buy three Mobil 1's and add two regular Mobil dinos to them. Is this a BAD thing?

Also another sin I have is using three 10-30's with three 5-30's to get a 7.5-30 weight oil in my drag car. Is this a bad thing, am I going to oil HELL??
shocked.gif

Kevin Hinkley (HInk)
freak2.gif

Say what???

Do you drink 3 bottle's of Bud and then 2 bottles of Bud Lite? What you are doing makes no sense and is just another reason to never buy a used car.

[ December 07, 2002, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

I might be doomed as well. I'm still considering the pros and cons of mixing Delvac 1 5w-40 synthetic with Delvac 1300 Super 15w-40 dino in a new Duramax Diesel (maybe 50/50 ratio). Its a 10+ quart capacity and I don't plan to go for super long drain periods (7K-9K miles) and will have a bypass filter setup. Actually, once I have the bypass setup, it will probably be more like a 12 quart capacity. The Delvac 1300 Super would probably be plenty adequate however, I just like the feeling of knowing I've got some good synthetic in her as well. I guess only the oil analysis will be able to tell me for sure if this is going to work. Anyone else have any experience or thoughts in this area? How literally can you take Mobil's claims on their sythetics as being "100% compatible with other synthetic and conventional motor oils"? I guess I might see you other mixers in Purgatory!

I must confess I mixed 20w50 synthetic blend into my 5w30 mobil1 over the summer. It did slow my oil consumption way down and quiet the engine tho!

--Matt

I'm sure you'd all love the witches brew that just went into my beater - an 89 Cavalier with 160,600 miles on a very tired 2.0l 4cyl. Approximate Brew: 1/2 qt of Phillips 66 Trop Arctic 10w30 SJ, 1 qt of Valvoline All Climate 5w30 SJ, and Three quarts of Mobil Drive Clean 5w30 SL. At least my shelves are clean now! Am I going to straight to motor purgatory or what! (Note: I only do this to the one car I don't care about and am driving it until it dies)

Whoa... I am sure glad I am not alone to face the oil demons in the after life!!

I WAS told by MOBIL NOT to mix synthetics, so I stoppped doing that.

Pat... I add the 10-30 Royal Purple to the Racing 21 to save a few bux. 10-30-$4.99,
Racing 21-$7.99. Usually I use 4 Qts. of Racing 21
and 2 qts. of 10-30. By the way are you using the
Big Block K&N Filter (2 qt). That is what I use on Redbird. Also I use a K&N on my remote trans filter (1 qt).

THANKS FOR ALL THE FUNNIES, GUYS!!
gr_eek2.gif
smile.gif

[ December 09, 2002, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: Redbird ]

I'm a mixer (outed at last). 2 litres Castrol GTX 20W50 SL dino with 2 litres Pennzoil 10W30 SL and bottle of Auto-Rx in the Mazda. And when 5W40 arrives in a few months 50/50 Redline 5W30 and 5W40 in our Sube Outback. Guess i'll be going to hell now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back