I MUST CONFESS... I am a MIXER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kevin, I'm using the HP3002 K&N, which isn't a 2 quart filter, it only holds 700ml (which I thought was pretty big!) What is the number of the one you use? I probably can't get it here though, not from Canadian Tire anyways, as they only carry a select few. If I want any special order ones, I have to go elsewhere and pay $22 CDN, instead of $14 CDN.

i guess blending is cool. as long as you stick with the same company then there shouldnt be much of a worry. my blend is a very slight blend becuase i use regular mobil dino and 1 qt of mobil clean blend which is a blend already..so im getting basically a very small blend...maybe i should mix my dyno with 1qt mobil tri syntetic to get more of a blend..what u think??

I think that you're wasting your money.

If you want a blend, buy Schaeffer's. All the others are not worth the money. Homebrew likely is not as good as nothing-but-dino, and stick with one brand and type of oil.

Ken

[ December 09, 2002, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

I submit the following confession: After we decided to convert my family's gas-powered fleet to strictly Mobil 1 5w30, I dumped the "leftovers" in my Jetta VR6 for its next 10,000 mile oil change interval:
3 quarts Mobil 1 10w30 SuperSyn
2 quarts Mobil 1 5w30 SuperSyn
1 quart Mobil 1 5w30 Tri-Synthetic

I don't think I will be having an oil analysis performed, as I think it would be hard to replicate a concoction containing Tri-Synthetic!

I think I'm becoming a mix-o-holic too. I've currently got 3qts of 10-30 and 2qts of 10-40 in the crankcase; which gives me a heavy 30 weight. I dare say it's smooth. The scary part is I don't know why I felt the need to do so.
dunno.gif

Quote:

I think I'm becoming a mix-o-holic too. I've currently got 3qts of 10-30 and 2qts of 10-40 in the crankcase; which gives me a heavy 30 weight. I dare say it's smooth. The scary part is I don't know why I felt the need to do so.
dunno.gif

Why are we reserecting 4 year old threads?
dunno.gif

Quote:

I will usually add a bottle or two of synthetic blend to my bottles of full synthetic to save a few bux. Sometimes I will buy three Mobil 1's and add two regular Mobil dinos to them. Is this a BAD thing?

Also another sin I have is using three 10-30's with three 5-30's to get a 7.5-30 weight oil in my drag car. Is this a bad thing, am I going to oil #@$%!??
shocked.gif

Kevin Hinkley (HInk)
freak2.gif

You are probably fine because blends are a mix of synthetics and dinos - but the only true answer is having a UOA done.

Merkava

Why not just read the old thread - instead of reviving it?

I just replied to a person that's done a dozen oil changes since the last time he entered this thread.

Now I need to start to looking at dates before posting????

I wonder where all of these lost poor souls are today in their journey to recovery. Maybe there should be a coming together of sorts for these people on the Dr Phil show.

rn2fine wrote: "I wonder where all of these lost poor souls are today"

I just browsed through the thread. Many of the "lost souls" are still around. I think that the "off topic" section is regularly visited by many of the early members.

As I said before, I'm a mixer.
Having a smoker with worn rings it's not feasible to be spending too much $$$ on oil. It just gets burned off.

I just had the vavle cover off of my 91 civic and it looked real clean. (thanks Frank and AutoRX)

Anyway, now that i got rid of the old leaky valve cover gasket I'll keep close watch on consumption. I'm using 3 qt rotella 5w40 and 1 qt noname 20w-50 during cold months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back