I hate Walmart....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lmao "abuse".

Your abuse of this thread is the only abuse that's occurring.

Originally Posted By: whip
What do you expect from a company that abuses employees? I don't shop there unless it's a last resort.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Lmao "abuse".

What do you expect from a company that abuses employees? I don't shop there unless it's a last resort.

The company has had numerous class action lawsuits filed against them. It's a known fact they don't treat employees well. Am I wrong in my statement?

There are very, very few things I shop for at Wal-Mart anymore. Over the last year we've gone from shopping there for 70% of our consumables/others to somewhere around 5%. (For many things there are as good or better deals to be had elsewhere, as long as you're not in a hurry for something).

I avoid that store like the plague. I seem to be the minority around me though.

Your use of the word "abuse" is ridiculous. No employer in the US is abusing their employees.

Of course all experience is local, but I personally know two individuals that work at Walmart. Neither one would describe their employment situation "as not being treated well", much less being abused. Both are quite happy there.

People use words like "abuse" when they disagree with something and have an agenda to back up the disagreement.

And many corporations have class-action lawsuits filed against them, specially multinational companies. They are a big target and are thought to have deep pockets. McDonalds, GE, ExxonMobil, everyone. It doesn't necessarily mean the suits are valid.

Lmao "abuse".

The company has had numerous class action lawsuits filed against them. It's a known fact they don't treat employees well. Am I wrong in my statement?

Thanks for the missive. Solution quite simple though, DON'T SHOP AT WALMART.

In your case though it reminds me of an old saying. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, fool me three times then I'm a ____________ fill in the blank. Which considering you work at Costco makes it all the more appropriate.

Your use of the word "abuse" is ridiculous. No employer in the US is abusing their employees.

Your right. That's never happened.

Ask any lawyer: first you check to see if they have any money, THEN you sue.

Walmart has its place, let the buyer beware. I know exactly what I will find there so I inspect everything like a nut before I even put it in my cart. Cheap, Dirty, poorly stocked, open packaging, I could go on...

Last edited:
I rarely go to Wal-Mart anymore. I used to think saving a few dollars on some items was worth dealing with very poor employees, strange and often disturbingly hideous looking customers, annoying vendors on the facade/sidewalk out front, and crowded parking lot. No thanks. To me, they represent the bottom side of capitalism. And while being a proponent of a laissez-faire attitude regarding our system, I'll also choose to do one other aspect that this concept includes.....not shopping at such a place.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewg
I rarely go to Wal-Mart anymore. I used to think saving a few dollars on some items was worth dealing with very poor employees, strange and often disturbingly hideous looking customers, annoying vendors on the facade/sidewalk out front, and crowded parking lot. No thanks. To me, they represent the bottom side of capitalism. And while being a proponent of a laissez-faire attitude regarding our system, I'll also choose to do one other aspect that this concept includes.....not shopping at such a place.

It's more than a few dollars in motor oil.

Why are you dealing with the associates? I seldom have any interaction with any of the associates. You cannot be let down if you don't expect too much. I get my Motorcraft filter(s), get my 5qt jug, maybe a Lego minifigure for my kid if he did well in school or a game or something and use the self check.

The hideous looking customers?
lol.gif
like a carnival.

The vendors? Usually Girl Scouts selling cookies or Cub Scouts selling popcorn. No problems with good kids selling stuff for their activities.

My problem is the quality of the other goods. I doubt SOPUS or Mobil has set up a unique sub-standard formulation just for WalMart. But there are things that have not panned out as well

971286_10200549750724120_555181271_n.jpg

Worth Sports. Typically pretty high end stuff. Except for the stuff they sell at WalMart.

This was done by a 9 year old hitting standard little league baseballs pitched by other 9-10 year olds.

His Wilson batting helmet from WalMart developed a crack on the side by his temple. Good thing I check his equipment.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

Why are you dealing with the associates? I seldom have any interaction with any of the associates. You cannot be let down if you don't expect too much. I get my Motorcraft filter(s), get my 5qt jug, maybe a Lego minifigure for my kid if he did well in school or a game or something and use the self check.

lol.gif
like a carnival.

The vendors? Usually Girl Scouts selling cookies or Cub Scouts selling popcorn. No problems with good kids selling stuff for their activities.

My problem is the quality of the other goods. I doubt SOPUS or Mobil has set up a unique sub-standard formulation just for WalMart. But there are things that have not panned out as well

Worth Sports. Typically pretty high end stuff. Except for the stuff they sell at WalMart.

This was done by a 9 year old hitting standard little league baseballs pitched by other 9-10 year olds.

His Wilson batting helmet from WalMart developed a crack on the side by his temple. Good thing I check his equipment.

Ok....$5 total difference in most of the brands of oils I purchase. Still not really worth it to me. I tend to buy Toyota synthetic now anyway. The associates? Every now and then I must ask them for assistance.....it's at that point I realize how poor they are at customer service. Not too often, true, but the cashier is just about as bad as the floor workers, and I can't avoid them.
As for the vendors outside on the sidewalk? Well, I don't have anything against them making a buck, but at the same time my shopping is done inside the store and I really don't enjoy being approached by some little girl selling cookies (and then feel guilty for saying 'no thank you' ) or the sometimes felon looking vendor stirring kettle corn. Just not my idea of a worthy shopping experience to save a little money.
Am I snob? Probably, in some folks minds. But I prefer to say that I am selective now where I shop....or do just about any activity. Life is short, and if a place makes me feel like I want to take a shower afterwards, I'd rather skip it.

Last edited:
5 quarts of Mobil Super 5000 is $14.17 @ WalMart
5.1 quarts of Mobil Super 5000 is $24.99 @ PepBoys.

That extra 1/10th of a quart is pricey. That's why I buy at WalMart.

The 5+ quart jug of Valvoline Maxlife at Oreilly is $30.00!!!! Compare that to the $16 the 5 quart is at Walmart. That +5th of a quart must be made out of gold or something,lordy!

lol.gif
like a carnival.

It's not just WM...at age 11, I dented a bat hitting balls pitched by my 10-year-old brother! The bat was a Louisville Slugger, bought at a sporting-goods store. (Decathlon, maybe?)

We love Waltonmart for its convenience and product selection. From my observation of friends, family, and acquaintances, it seems the yuppies and well-to-do folks across the nation from larger cities find Walmart to be the scourge of their neighborhood and would never shop there(yet would shop at Sam's Club) or even make mention of such a place while many simple folk in smaller towns appreciate their local Waltonmarts.

The Waltons are employing more than 2 million people globally, which in this day and age and state of economy is actually a great thing for many families who receive a paycheck from them.

What is annoying is the people who expect good customer service at a walmart.

They have been around long enough for you to know that you won't get good service at all, just buy the stuff and be glad that it is cheap.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

They have been around long enough for you to know that you won't get good service at all, just buy the stuff and be glad that it is cheap.

Yeah, these are my thoughts as well. How do people think they can sell stuff on razor-thin margins? There's no free lunch. If you want to shop in a place with good customer service, you have to pay a little more for it. Don't like their business model? Don't shop there (that's my solution).

Originally Posted By: JOD

Yeah, these are my thoughts as well. How do people think they can sell stuff on razor-thin margins? There's no free lunch. If you want to shop in a place with good customer service, you have to pay a little more for it. Don't like their business model? Don't shop there (that's my solution).

thumbsup2.gif

Don't expect too much and you won't be let down.

I'm happy to save $10-$20 an oil change and scan my own items out at the self check. I might peruse the produce section for the "Go Texan" Texas grown vegetables....skip the Mexico produce. I appreciate that they tell you where it's from. No, they are not as good as home grown....grocery stores seldom are. I don't buy much there but what I do buy is usually carefully chosen and either significantly less expensive or at least grown here.

I find it highly annoying that folks with your attitude are the cause of such poor service never being improved. The CUSTOMER (the marketplace) can and does decide if poor customer service is worth saving a buck or two. Apparently to you, and many others, it is. If customers expected and demanded MORE from an employee at Walmart to know their job and provide better service, it WOULD happen. But alas....it's obvious that many in this country accept sub-par service in favor of saving a buck. It's those customers that allow Walmart to thrive.
Personally, I expect more from a business that gets my money. That's one of the reasons I don't like to shop in such a place. The attitude that you expressed right here..."....just buy the stuff and be glad it is cheap"....is about as annoying as fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Originally Posted By: GenSan
We love Waltonmart for its convenience and product selection. From my observation of friends, family, and acquaintances, it seems the yuppies and well-to-do folks across the nation from larger cities find Walmart to be the scourge of their neighborhood and would never shop there(yet would shop at Sam's Club) or even make mention of such a place while many simple folk in smaller towns appreciate their local Waltonmarts.

The Waltons are employing more than 2 million people globally, which in this day and age and state of economy is actually a great thing for many families who receive a paycheck from them.

The employment Walmart offers is really nothing to rave about. True, it's a job. It is good that they provide employment for those willing to work. But they pay VERY little and offer very low incentive to improve.
As for the "simple folk" liking Walmart? Yes, many "simple folk" do I suppose. But to seemingly paint these small town people as happy that Walmart came to town and destroyed many small family owned businesses would be a disservice.

Originally Posted By: linkbelt
Just buy your oil from Costco.

Problem solved!

Costco sells real oil variety? We just signed up, I checked it out and saw one type of formula shell, and one type of Mobil 1. Not exactly a quantity of options... If they did, Id gladly stop going into walmart to look at the oil choices.

Most of the oil Ive bought in the last two years was from sources other than WM because the prices were the same or better... But walking in the oil section of WM is always interesting to me to look at the choices.

Last time I was in one (late night, needed some mmo, long story), I was actually solicited by a prostitute in the parking lot. Has never happened before in my life, but it happened. This was in MD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back