I hate Walmart....

Status
Not open for further replies.
My city didn't have any Walmart store until about a year ago, now we have 2.

One was a remodeled closed out Sam Club and another was a remodeled of another sporting goods.

Both are very clean and bright, many WM associates walking around helping customers. Almost all check out registers are opened so that waiting lines are usually 1 or none.

I like shopping at these 2 WM stores better than a Target store nearby.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Why hate? Just don't shop there..., but then again, you like their prices, don't you?
They know that people will make all sorts of stink when they are frustrated only to come back the next day to shop there.

Wal-Mart sucks period. I try to avoid as much as possible!

I have seen that storeroom by the shop counter where they keep oil. You should go back to the store and just open that door and look at the oil for yourself. It sounds like no one would even notice!

If you shop by price, you give up the right to complain about the service.

I'm certain there are other stores in that same 10 mile radius you traveled (probably many more before Walmart moved in).

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Originally Posted By: dave123
I love Walmart

Me too!

Me three
grin.gif

Me four- I have found like mentioned earlier that between 7 to 10 AM it is always a quality experience. The last two times I have been there, one was on a Sunday at 4 PM, crazy busy, I have needed help finding a item. Both times I was treated with courtesy, and the employees knew right where to take me, and did not point me to the area. What more can one ask for. It helps if you say, could you please help me, and not say where is xxxx. When you treat people nice, they are 95% of the time nice to you.

The quality of big corporate stores in many cases, reflect the quality of the management team, and whether they treat their workers with respect and not just looking to get to the next level.

There's pretty much only two things I buy at walmart right now: Oil and drugs (which you need to shop there!
crazy.gif
) Before I get labeled as a druggie, their house brand for stuff like advil and mouthwash are quite often much cheaper than other places..

Their food prices are not great at all....my local Kroger beats them in quite a few things...

Might also help that I do not buy a lot of extra stuff that I do not need anyways....

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
I hate Walmart....

There are two Walmarts within 5 Miles of my house. The older one which is a little farther away is really big. I don't know if it is a super center or something, but it is much larger than the newer closer one. There is a third Walmart about 10 miles away. Anyway...

I was at my closer smaller Walmart trying to grab a jug of QS UD 0w20. ( I already have a 5qt jug on the shelf, but my truck needs 7qts. Better deal to buy another jug for $21.xx than two quarts for $14) They don't have any QS UD in any flavor at this Walmart. I've noticed that they also have a smaller selection of other goods, such as groceries. Where as a Walmart may have one national brand item, and then their Walmart Brand item, this one will sometimes only have their own brand item. So my first hatred is that there isn't any consistency between the stores and what they carry. You would think two stores in the same market area would carry the same items.

So after my disappointment I make the drive back past my house and towards the bigger Walmart. Of course I get there and they have every flavor of QS UD except the 0w20. The tag is on the shelf, but the shelf space is empty. Really?? what the heck.... So I track down a Walmart employee (I use that term loosely since they generally don't do much work or even care) and politely say to them

"I want to buy a jug of this oil, however the spot on the shelf is empty for it. Is it possible that you could have some in the back that hasn't been stocked on the shelf yet?"

and without asking me which item I am actually looking for I get this....

employee : "I don't know, we probably don't have it if it isn't on the shelf"

me: "You probably don't have it? or you don't? So there is a chance that you might?"

employee : "I said that I don't know. We might but probably not"

me thinking thanks for telling me the same exact thing you did the first time, but you still haven't answered my question....

me : "Well, if I show you what I'm looking for, do you think you could check to see if there is some in the back"?

employee : "Yeah, not really. I don't work in this department. If you find one someone form this department, they might be able to help you."

me : "I've been looking for someone all over, and you were the only person I've found anywhere around here. Can you set me up with someone in that department, or have them paged or something?"

employee : "I'd have to go all the way up to the front to page someone. I'm sure if you keep looking around there will be someone there."

omfg... are to you kidding me??? At this point I'm about ready to say eff it, but I figured I'd try one more time to find someone....

me : "uhhh.... thanks"

so I look around auto, hardware, sporting goods/hunting, nothing.. I can see someone over in electronics but I figured that would be worthless to even try after this idiot I just dealt with.

so for the like the 3rd or 4th time I walk back through over to the tire and auto service center, and there is still no one around so I decided to walk out into the service bays. There I actually found a red neck looking guy (no offense to red neck looking guys) with tat's all up and down his arms and neck and a mini duck dynasty looking beard and yell across the shop

me : "Hey what's up, I've been trying to find someone out here but there is no one around"

new employee : "What can I do for you?"

thinking again omg I might get somewhere now

me : "I'm trying to buy some of this oil, but the spot on the shelf is empty and was checking to see if there may be some in the back that hasn't been put out yet."

new employee : "Oh yeah, I don't know. I just change the oil, and all we have in the shop is some of the stuff we sell for oil changes."

me : "Ok thanks. Do you know where I can find someone that can help me out to check?"

new employee : "There should be someone out there around that area that might be able to help you."

omg.... I'm doing circles here. So I tell myself I will walk through these isles one more time and try to find someone. If not, screw it. I'm just going to drive 10 miles to the other Walmart.

Well, I found someone. It was a dude in a wheel chair who is a greeter, and it turns out he is on lunch just looking around so he can't help me.

At this point my head is about ready to explode. If I didn't already have this oil I was trying to match, I would have just bought something else, but I figure if you have the choice, its a good idea to just keep it the same.

So I Walmart. I created a couple more stops that I could make to help justify my trip to the Walmart 10 miles away.

I get there, same story as before. No 0w20 on the shelf. This time I walked over to the tire / service center a nice guy actually came out to help me. I told him the same story. He didn't know what Quaker State 0w20 was and that they even sold it (that's a little scary since the guy works in the tire / oil change center) but anyway, he was actually nice enough to walk over to the shelf, look at the item and try to find it. BTW, you would think that their inventory system would allow them to type in the item number to view on IOH , but I guess not. So he went back in the storage room for the tire / oil change center and looked around but could not find it, and then called someone else who I guess stocks shelves to look and they said that they were out of it. So at that point I just decided to buy a jug of PP 0w20 since I've read that it is similar to the QS UD, plus I had a $5 off coupon that Sopus sent me. Though I was still [censored] off, at least one guy out of the place was somewhat helpful.

It just amazes me how useless some of these people are, and that they don't really care about the customer or their job as long as they get a pay check. Customer service is non-existent. From what I've heard, Walmart doesn't pay their employees very well, nor do they take care of them very well, and I guess you get what you pay for. It is just a totally different world to me though. I work for Costco, which is actually a decent company and takes care of their employees. I can't even imagine any of our employees being that lazy and not try to help out the customer. I can tell you that they wouldn't be working there very long.

There are some places that you can deal with bad attitudes and poor customer service because their product or service is that good. Walmart is not one of them. I know that I am partly to blame for the entire mess of Walmart, because I fall into that group of American's that demand or expect low prices and help drive the demand for low cost products from overseas that Walmart peddles better than just about anyone. If there was somewhere else that I could get 5qts of Syn oil for $20-25 I would go there, unfortunately it seems like all of the auto parts stores want to charge like $8-12 for a quart of oil, and I'm not a big fan of their oil change deals pushing which ever oil and filter they want to move. I prefer to buy the oil and filter that I really want. Anyway, I'm just starting to ramble but I really don't know if I can deal with another shopping trip like that... I need a Walmart replacement...

Before you enter Walmart lower your expectations several notches with respect to the shopping experience.

Remember their employees are the ones Target did not hire, but were over qualified to work at Family Dollar.

Originally Posted By: Hermann
The quality of big corporate stores in many cases, reflect the quality of the management team

^^This times a million!

I've been in nice Wal-Marts, and junk Wal-Marts. The one I used to live near way out in the sticks was nice but small. No busybody receipt checkers since everybody knew everybody else. And the employees helped since they were helping friends and neighbors. The closest one nearby me now is horrid, and I actively avoid shopping there. The Target across the street is a much nicer shopping experience.

They didn't have what YOU wanted so you decided to berate an employee who simply gave you the best answer that he could. 'I don't know. If we had it, it would be on the shelf.' Its a big store. Do you think he had the entire inventory commited to memory?

What I find amazing is the difference between the Neighborhood Walmart that sells only groceries and the Super Center Walmart. The Neighborhood Walmart is always well stocked and quiet with no riff-raff people walking around. Go to a Super Center Walmart and it's a zoo over there with empty shelves. I'm thinking it's gotta be the electronics department that attracts all the riff-raff people.

I've noticed it depends on the Walmart. Here where I live, I always have excellent service. Employees are friendly and helpful, sometimes above and beyond. Case in point, I recently bought a "trac phone" at our local Walmart. I am technology impaired. The girl who was helping me not only showed it to me but set it up for me and showed me how to use it. It was actually a fun experience. Conversely, the Orlando Walmart is horrible, no matter what time I go there, the place is filthy and the employees walk around with an attitude. If you happen to need help, good luck.

I disagree. At the very least, one of the employees the OP talked to should have said something to the effect, "I don't know but let me find someone who can help you." Or, "that's not my department but let me see if I can find someone in that department." Its a simple matter of customer service. The OP should not be criticized for asking a simple question of an employee of a huge department store which sells the very thing he was wanting to buy.

Too many people feel either the company owes them a living or they should be allowed to do the least amount of work possible. Personally, I consider it a point of pride and honor that if I can't get you the answer to a question you asked, I will take the time to find someone who can.

They have no incentive to give higher quality service, millions will shop on price alone. The cost of providing a good shopping experience just doesn't pay returns.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Why hate? Just don't shop there..., but then again, you like their prices, don't you?

You're Canadian, you know that doesn't apply up here.
wink.gif

Not of you can score some oil during their anniversary sale
wink.gif
, but in States WM's oil prices are some of the lowest and I do like their oil filter prices as well.
I just find it ironic that someone so unhappy with the store, to the point of starting a thread about it, would still shop there. It just sounded to me as OP has some sort of sense of entitlement to get what he wants.

What do you expect from a company that abuses employees? I don't shop there unless it's a last resort.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248

"I want to buy a jug of this oil, however the spot on the shelf is empty for it. Is it possible that you could have some in the back that hasn't been stocked on the shelf yet?"

and without asking me which item I am actually looking for I get this....

employee : "I don't know, we probably don't have it if it isn't on the shelf"

One must remember that it takes an incredible amount of time for a WM employee to stop what he is doing, walk to the other side of the store to see if there is "any in the back", and then walk back out to tell a customer that there isn't any. Besides, the employee might not even know where the product would be stored in inventory. Can you imagine how much time would be wasted if they did that for every customer who asks if there is "any in the back"? It's just not an efficient way to run a business.
That is why they will probably tell you that they either don't have any if there isn't any on the shelf, or that they don't know if they have any in inventory.
This thread reminds me of the post a few weeks ago about Germany not having any WM stores. It's just a WM bash. While I'm not a huge WM fan myself, if you don't like the store, stay away from it completely. Also, enough of the "WM screws the employees" bashing. The employees work there on their own free will and they knew what type of work it was when they applied for the job. It's not like they have a gun held to their head.
My advice is to buy your oil online, at an auto parts store, or better yet, a corner gas station where they price it at $10/quart.

5 quarts of Mobil Super 5000 is $14.17 @ WalMart
5.1 quarts of Mobil Super 5000 is $24.99 @ PepBoys.

That extra 1/10th of a quart is pricey. That's why I buy at WalMart.

It is possible that WalMart did have the product you wanted in the back. But it may have been still palletized and not yet scanned in by their merchandisers/stock personnnel. The associate should have just told you this. It's a loss prevention/inventory maintenance issue. In a smaller store like O'Reilly, the associate can simply go to the back, remove the product you want from the pallet, scan it into inventory, and ring up your sale but in a store the scale of WalMart, it is possible that by the time he found the item, the merchandisers would have already been moving it onto the floor to stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back