I got screamed at again today......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kira
1) Across the population people are not as smart, practical or observant as once they were.

2) I believe pharma abuse (drug abuse) is rife and that makes people yell.

3) I know many people listen to hate radio and the constant "us against them" and "they're taking our money" and "they're taking our guns" speech makes people angry.

I think you're right on all three points.
There is also some confusion between being assertive as called for and being a jerk.

I don't about in Houston, but here the heat and humidity has been about as bad for a prolonged period as I can remember. It's made me feel miserable and just not wanting to go outside. Wondering if that might be a factor in the rudeness you experienced. Not an excuse, just a perhaps a factor.

As for parking at a pump for some time, guess if I was going to be there much after getting gas, I'd pull it out of the way just as a courtesy. That said, can't see the employees at Quik Trip with lots of pumps and space treating me the way you were treated. Maybe you should consider taking your biz elsewhere. Likely what I'd do.

As my folks used to say, sometimes you got to let it go in one ear and out the other. Let it roll off as it were. But I well understand easier said than done.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
If the pumps are busy I fill up and repark to go inside, then I'm not wasting anyone's time.

I do that even if they aren't busy. Fill up, park the car, then go inside. It makes life easier for everyone.

The way the guy was, he may have came out shooting thinking OP was pumping and running.

I am sure the worker would tell LEO to never return too, but expect them to help when his store is being held up.
21.gif

As insinuated many times in this thread, people are nuts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
If the pumps are busy I fill up and repark to go inside, then I'm not wasting anyone's time.

I do that even if they aren't busy. Fill up, park the car, then go inside. It makes life easier for everyone.

The way the guy was, he may have came out shooting thinking OP was pumping and running.

I am sure the worker would tell LEO to never return too, but expect them to help when his store is being held up.
21.gif

Around here you must pay before you pump, so they're probably not going to come out shooting thinking I'm running. I hope! I pull up, go inside pay cash, then pump. If I have to take a leak, or buy something I move the car to a parking space as soon as I'm done pumping. I see people cleaning their trunk out, making potty runs, emptying ash trays, washing all their windows, shaking out floor mats, etc. even when there's a line. All those things I take care of at home! Or if I'm on a trip in a parking space. But as you said people are nuts, my gas pumping routine is in hope to give a nut one less thing to go nuts over.

Somewhat OT- lately, maybe its the heat wave, people are doing some really stupid things while driving. Much more than what I'm accustomed to seeing.

Works for me!

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I know its difficult sometimes to deal with bad attitudes from the public. Some of my co workers make my workplace the proverbial "toxic" kind. Don't let it get you down. I won't let people like this destroy my sense of general happiness.

MOM, you still around Houston? Lets meet up sometime. I will buy you lunch. Write back!

Yes sir. Workplace politics, one of the main reasons I love working for myself. Back when I worked for a business, people never really understood that I was there to work, help out the company in making money the best I could so I could get a paycheck and go home. It's never that simple.

I will do that if it's busy, or if the place has only a few pumps. If I'm at my usual station (which has 18 pumps and is rarely busy when I'm there), I will leave the car at the pump while I run inside. If someone comes for gas, they can use one of the other dozen unoccupied pumps.

Around here you must pay before you pump, so they're probably not going to come out shooting thinking I'm running. I hope! I pull up, go inside pay cash, then pump. If I have to take a leak, or buy something I move the car to a parking space as soon as I'm done pumping. I see people cleaning their trunk out, making potty runs, emptying ash trays, washing all their windows, shaking out floor mats, etc. even when there's a line. All those things I take care of at home! Or if I'm on a trip in a parking space. But as you said people are nuts, my gas pumping routine is in hope to give a nut one less thing to go nuts over.

Somewhat OT- lately, maybe its the heat wave, people are doing some really stupid things while driving. Much more than what I'm accustomed to seeing.

That is a peeve of mine.. folks doing non fuel related tasks while taking up a fuel pump space. One time, I had the exact amount and just politely interrupted a several lotto ticket and scratch off convention and said here's my $20 for pump x and left. I try to pay at the pump with a card now.

Since the AAA top tier article, I am strictly using BP or Shell now now. The "usual" is a huge small town BP station with 6 pumps. Little to no wait times, decent prices and its owned by a nice Indian family with very well behaved children. They don't make much off me since I dont drink pop, eat chips, smoke etc. but every little bit helps I suppose. One of the few stations I can actually go in without the need for putting condoms on my shoes.

21.gif

It was probably the fact that I looked at two trash cans to see if their were any paper towels in them, so I could clean the dirt and grass out of my oil measuring cup to measure the oil for my 2 cycle equipment. A process that takes 10 seconds. It's probably what pushed him over the edge because I had to search through my truck to find my own paper towels, and maybe that's when he thought I was just dicking around. That kind of thing irritates me so after that I assumed it was probably one of those independent gas stations with one owner who's a cheap skate. Boy was I right. lol

1) Across the population people are not as smart, practical or observant as once they were.

3) I know many people listen to hate radio and the constant "us against them" and "they're taking our money" and "they're taking our guns" speech makes people angry.

Civility and manners have gone out the window ever since parents and teachers stopped being allowed to discipline children.

As far as 'hate radio'...I see your point but I'd be remiss to mention the other side who DIVIDE us based on race, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity etc...all for votes...Racial and ethnic QUOTAS (remember how Pocahantas LIED and claimed American Indian ancestry to get ahead of some white person) have caused a lot of strife and anger too..

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Gasbuggy said:

21.gif

It was probably the fact that I looked at two trash cans to see if their were any paper towels in them, so I could clean the dirt and grass out of my oil measuring cup to measure the oil for my 2 cycle equipment. A process that takes 10 seconds. It's probably what pushed him over the edge because I had to search through my truck to find my own paper towels, and maybe that's when he thought I was just dicking around. That kind of thing irritates me so after that I assumed it was probably one of those independent gas stations with one owner who's a cheap skate. Boy was I right. lol

You might have caught someone having a bad day, lashing out. It happens, sometimes there's just no avoiding it.

The ONLY thing I do at the pumps is pump my gas. If I have to go inside for anything I move my vehicle, even if there are empty pumps available. You should have been better prepared as far as measuring your 2 stroke oil, looking in the trash for a used paper towel, gulping down a Gatorade, going to the bathroom etc etc. It's called courtesy. My 2 cents worth.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
The ONLY thing I do at the pumps is pump my gas. If I have to go inside for anything I move my vehicle, even if there are empty pumps available. You should have been better prepared as far as measuring your 2 stroke oil, looking in the trash for a used paper towel, gulping down a Gatorade, going to the bathroom etc etc. It's called courtesy. My 2 cents worth.

I'm guessing your not serious. digging in the trash is a good way to get poked with a needle.

I check my oil and clean the windows while at the pumps. That's why there are window squeegees provided as well as paper towel, for those two tasks. I will hurry if the station is busy, if it isn't, I won't. The OP's station was essentially vacant, he was under no obligation to go elsewhere to perform these tasks as he was not blocking others from accessing the pumps or affecting the operation of the station.

This is spelled out quite clearly in his opening post:

Quote:
He had 10 other pumps available, but to scream at a paying customer just blows my mind. Then naturally another lawn care company pulls in and they stop and buy lunch and sit under a tree behind the store and he doesn't say anything.

If the station was busy and his actions were clearly delaying others from obtaining fuel, your assertion regarding courtesy would have merit, however I believe in the context of the OP, it does not. I would also ask for some clarity from him but would imagine that had the station been busy, he would have moved after getting gas and done those tasks elsewhere. He stayed put because it was convenient and the station was empty.

Empty pumps can fill up and have people waiting in a matter of minutes. I move my vehicle no matter...just in case.

Originally Posted By: pbm

Civility and manners have gone out the window ever since parents and teachers stopped being allowed to discipline children.

As far as 'hate radio'...I see your point but I'd be remiss to mention the other side who DIVIDE us based on race, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity etc...all for votes...Racial and ethnic QUOTAS (remember how Pocahantas LIED and claimed American Indian ancestry to get ahead of some white person) have caused a lot of strife and anger too..

Agreed.

We live in sad times.

Empty pumps can fill up and have people waiting in a matter of minutes. I move my vehicle no matter...just in case.

And there is nothing wrong with that practice, you are being overly cautious. However, in the context of the OP's situation, with ten pumps free as he stated, I don't believe he was in any way an inconvenience and I would assume that had the station been busy, as I mentioned above, that he would not have lingered and performed those tasks while occupying pump space.

Ten free pumps is a pretty big number, most of our local stations don't even have that many, LOL! The Petro-Canada has eight, the Shell also has eight.

10 other pumps to choose from, I was in no way holding up others. It wasn't like walmart or Kroger where their is always somebody waiting behind another car to get fuel, just a typical gas station. Keep in mind I have a diesel and many stations only have two diesel pumps four if it's a big one. I almost always have to wait in line to get fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back