Stolen trailer, again.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
My brother had an 18' car hauler trailer that he had repainted, put a new winch and battery on, new tires, we had just replaced all the wheel bearings, he had custom ramps built for it, etc. and it was stolen last November.

Then he bought a really nice 20' car hauler trailer, custom welded winch mount, battery holder, custom ramps, brand new tires, etc. and it was just stolen today.

Each time they were locked. Since the first one was stolen, he has kept my Camry parked 2 inches in front of the tongue of this one. It's parked on the side of the house, but it's also a side street. So this time it was drug sideways and towed away. Not sure if they break the lock or just tie up the safety chains real tight and hook up and lower it on their truck.

We did a lot of research on locks after the first one was stolen, and it seems it doesn't matter all that much which kind of lock it is. They can stick a big pry bar in and break off almost anything, unless you pay $300+ for a lock maybe.

Fortunately they were insured each time, but insurance doesn't really pay what it actually costs to replace and it takes a long time to be repaid. Finding a nice metal deck trailer is very difficult as well, as most are wood decks that will rot and need replacement.

People just suck sometimes. Here's the last trailer, it was a really nice one.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Put some fliers out at Cruise Ins and swap meets. "Somebody" knows about this. Well.............didn't think. The bug has got us all locked up..............

Last edited:
Is there such a thing as LoJack for a trailer? I'd be doing the lock 2 tires together deal. And unbolting the hitch. Or just move the heck outta that mess.

I used to live in a gated apartment in a decent area of san antonio. The landscape guys put a boot type device on two of the wheels of the trailer and a lock on the tow ball. Seemed to work fine but again it was in a gated secure area.

There are some locks that work but like you said they are expensive. Their is 1 way to discourage them although its a real PIA, take the wheels off and set it on blocks. Put a couple Mcguard wheel locks on the hubs to stop them from bringing their own wheels. They could still take it if they had time and desire but it might make it more of a pain than its worth to them.
By the way I have heard that people that had trailers stolen often get hit a second time because they know you will get a new one and put it back in the same place.

Take some HEAVY chain & chain the wheels together. You will need chain that can't easily be cut with bolt cutters & those round padlocks that barely clear the links so they can't get bolt cutters in there.

Having a trailer that's easily accessible is just about asking for it to get stolen. I would never leave my car hauler out in the open! II'l leave my 40' Gooseneck on the street because I modified it for a 5th Wheel & don't leave the landing gear handle on it.

Coworker of mine had an enclosed trailer stolen. It had his $25,000 sand buggy inside. Trailer was recovered and they arrested the guy for possession of stolen property. Buggy was never found. It is happening all over this area. Probably going to Mexico from this area.

You are right that people suck. When I was a teenager, someone stole a trailer my father used to haul his Owatonna Mustang, the original skid steer brand in the USA. Your brother may consider paying to park the trailer at a gated storage facility or removing the wheels when he's not using the trailer or finding a better neighborhood.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
Coworker of mine had an enclosed trailer stolen. It had his $25,000 sand buggy inside. Trailer was recovered and they arrested the guy for possession of stolen property. Buggy was never found. It is happening all over this area. Probably going to Mexico from this area.

I agree. I bet that is where those car trailers the OP mentioned are going as well.

That really sucks. That was a very nice trailer. Maybe next time, again, remove the tongue, remove the wheels and chain the hubs so they can't easily fit their own wheels onto the hubs.

BTW, nice bus, too...

Originally Posted by Nick1994
So this time it was drug sideways and towed away.

Man that's insane! I'd be ready to set up a trap for them and catch them in the act.

I hate thieves. They make different GPS trackers, some without monthly fees, that might be worth looking into. I'd second chaining the trailer wheels/booting it as well as storing it somewhere off-street.

I have not done it yet, but I think if you have room to hide it, you could put a mercury switch rigged to a loud car horn, and maybe some lights, with a battery that would go off when the trailer is tilted up to hitch it. Course they make stuff like that that connect to your phone too. Thinking of my jetski trailer.
Our RC flying club had our trailer with all our mowers, trimmers, blowers, etc. stolen from a locked gated Storage Facility at night. Security camera caught it but too dark to make anything out. Four were stolen that night in our small town according to the cops. BBQ trailer, one from a Church...... thieves should have to pay back for what they take when caught plus jail plus a good as whopping

We work with scenery. Tipping things onto their edges for space saving is common.

A coworker in a town where trailers were banned from even the side of your house (they go behind the house) made up a pulley system which tips his trailer sideways. He added scenic "walls" which are light weight. He surrounds his trailer and you think it's part of the house.

Yes it's elaborate and I'd much rather see thieves crucified as a deterrent but it works for him.

"Register it as a homebuilt", was the battle cry of the trailer thief.

That sucks. It sounds like the $300+ lock option is becoming a "cheap" solution and/or requirement.

I wonder: if you pull the wheels off and leave on blocks, would that deter a thief? I'm sure that, if there is a will there is a way--but if they had to install wheels before stealing, maybe that would slow them down and/or deter them enough.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
You are right that people suck. When I was a teenager, someone stole a trailer my father used to haul his Owatonna Mustang, the original skid steer brand in the USA. Your brother may consider paying to park the trailer at a gated storage facility or removing the wheels when he's not using the trailer or finding a better neighborhood.

And hope the minimum-wage "guard" isn't renting keys by the hour to the local meth-heads.

Back