I enjoyed Rain for the first time in YEARS!

The name change goes along with how I'm feeling today!

We recently moved to a new house. A bit earlier than expected thanks to a small windstorm on Monday of last week which lead to us losing part of the dog's fence.

There were many bad things about our old house. The biggest issue was the ground water and absurdly high water table. Often higher than my garage and half of the back yard. It just can't drain. The dog would come in covered head to toe in mud. Not even from playing around, it was always so soft that she'd just sink right in trying to go out and use the bathroom. But she also couldn't play most of the year because of the mood and general constant flooding. This fall, when it rained for four months straights (and I'm being quite literal here) , there were times where there was not a single piece of our yard that was above water! Absolutely awful.

It rained a lot on Saturday, a deluge for sure at a few points. That type of rain means we lose a week of having a yard because of the standing water and mud. And surely the yard pumps would be working overtime.

As soon as it started to sprinkle before the rain, I started to get anxious. That's how it has been for the last 5 years. Worrying about pumps ... worrying about a flood. But then I remembered that I don't live in the old house and don't really care if it floods.

It downpoured for 20 - 25 minutes. I sat and listened to the rain hitting the tin roof. Very relaxing. Then ten minutes after it stopped raining, it got sunny and the dog wanted to go out and play. So we did! And she wasn't covered in mud. I wasn't covered in mud.

Makes a huge difference. Sounds crazy but getting out of a crappy situation feels good!
OktoberYard.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear you were able to move out of a swampy area. I think if I had to pump a lot of water I would leave too. It's good you left and found a better home. Todays housing prices are making it more difficult for people to move plus the interest rates are going up.

Rain is a necessary evil.
Oh it is! But the ticks this year are bad because of it!

Congratulations....
I know the feeling.
I grew up in a house that flooded. Said I'd never do that again. Unfortunately I bought a house in a swamp but happened to do so during a very dry year.

I think if I had to pump a lot of water I would leave too. It's good you left and found a better home. Todays housing prices are making it more difficult for people to move plus the interest rates are going up.
Oh it was terrible. My fiance' works from home and would have to keep an eye on the back yard. As soon as it would start filling up, or if it looked like one of the pumps would stop cycling, I'd have to take an afternoon off and fly home to babysit the pumps. Earlier this year I had to swap out my sump basin (it cracked over winter) and within minutes of turning the pump off, the garage was under water again.

Had the same experience in my last house. Finished basement and I used to dread hearing a rainy forecast. Downsized 6 years ago, no basement, good drainage in the neighborhood. What a relief!

Oh it is! But the ticks this year are bad because of it!

I grew up in a house that flooded. Said I'd never do that again. Unfortunately I bought a house in a swamp but happened to do so during a very dry year.

Oh it was terrible. My fiance' works from home and would have to keep an eye on the back yard. As soon as it would start filling up, or if it looked like one of the pumps would stop cycling, I'd have to take an afternoon off and fly home to babysit the pumps. Earlier this year I had to swap out my sump basin (it cracked over winter) and within minutes of turning the pump off, the garage was under water again.
You are not alone. I know a few people who have bailed out due to water problems....quite a few people actually. Most of them were in a FEMA area and would get the insurance to fix everything up nicely until the next flood and do it all over again. They build houses in swamps and there should be stricter rules for this type of real estate sales.

Congrats on your new home. Good looking dog too.

Does the new place have a crawl space or slab? Lol.

You are not alone. I know a few people who have bailed out due to water problems....quite a few people actually. Most of them were in a FEMA area and would get the insurance to fix everything up nicely until the next flood and do it all over again. They build houses in swamps and there should be stricter rules for this type of real estate sales.

That's actually one thing I checked extensively when I bought the old place. The Syracuse NY area, specifically, is a giant swamp. And there are a lot of places that flood. I checked the FEMA maps and wouldn't buy anything that was in even a 500 year flood area. Ironically, some properties that border mine (and are higher) *ARE* in flood zones ... but have never flooded.

Congrats on your new home. Good looking dog too.

Does the new place have a crawl space or slab? Lol.

It's a mo-bile home. Doublewide. It's on a 6'' slab with block skirting. Looks like a normal house. Also, if you go down 18 inches, it's all sand. I discovered that as I was putting in a privacy fence for the dog. It drains quite well

Name change seems appropriate BUT - Who were you before?
Miller88

Back