Please stop raining!!!!

This is getting ridiculous! Woke up to find my garage under water for the 3RD TIME SINCE AUGUST!!. With the exception of one or two dry days, it's literally been raining constant since the end of August.

Not as bad as the flood in August, thank God. Everything is still elevated from the August flood - what didn't get thrown out, that is.

It just will not stop raining. Correction, downpouring. We haven't been getting your standard rain, we have been getting torrential downpours for hours on end this year it seems. Supposed to get light rain all night but woke up at 3am to a downpour and it just kept going. When I went downstairs to let the dog out, I found out I was lakefront again. All the pumps are dropped, turned on and pointed up hill. Nothing I can do now except let the harbor freight pumps do their thing.

I do believe some of this has something to do with some construction about 3 miles north of me in a flood plain. There is a LOT of water that is now displaced. There were a few small detention and retention ponds built, but they just don't have the capacity.

I can't wait to move to higher ground. Then it can rain for 3 months straight (like it has been) and I won't have a care in the world!

No one needs that type of extra stress in one's life. Improper building location and drainage design is a pet peeve of mine. The workplace property I manage looks like a Corps of Engineer project after I spent years developing swales and drainage routes around the all the buildings. It works now, but would have been so much easier if it had been addressed during design and construction.

Beware everyone building or buying homes to pay attention to this.. Best to you, Miller88 coping with this.

Having been involved in multiple post flood engineering analysis and subsequent flood prevention and mitigation projects, it was interesting going house shopping. I told our realtor that don't be surprised if I walk up to a house and in 30 seconds say no. She says, what do you mean? You develop an eye for problematic properties when you've worked on enough of them... And sure enough, found a wonderful house that I had to say no to due to drainage.

Your house should be able to be updated so you do not get water in garage unless the surrounding area is under water. One guy told me "if there is pitch to drain the water, I can fix it".

But if you are in New Orleans below seal level thats another story. NY is not a flat state.

Why I moved to southeast Arizona. But then again we just had a 12” monsoon this year and it sucked! Was actually beginning to wonder if I’d taken a wrong turn and was in Seattle. I’m a big fan of blue skies……always, forever.

Your house should be able to be updated so you do not get water in garage unless the surrounding area is under water. One guy told me "if there is pitch to drain the water, I can fix it".

But if you are in New Orleans below seal level thats another story. NY is not a flat state.

I'm in a low spot unfortunately. My property and the one next to us are 3' below everything else. So the water just collects here. There used to be a drainage ditch going straight to the lake 300' away, but properties have been built up over the years blocking the flow of water from here.

There is a storm sewer going under my front yard. I have been given the go ahead to connect to it if I need to, but I'm just not sure I'd be able to french drain to it, I would still have to pump uphill.

I'm in a low spot unfortunately. My property and the one next to us are 3' below everything else. So the water just collects here. There used to be a drainage ditch going straight to the lake 300' away, but properties have been built up over the years blocking the flow of water from here.

There is a storm sewer going under my front yard. I have been given the go ahead to connect to it if I need to, but I'm just not sure I'd be able to french drain to it, I would still have to pump uphill.
Over time the mountains in North America have moved and shifted. Maybe there will be movement that raises your area. It could take awhile. As in thousands of years. Maybe a million years. You are probably looking for a shorter term solution.

Try your homeowners. A few years ago, a road storm drain blocked, and got the carpet wet in my sisters slab home. They were NOT on a 100 year flood plain, not even close. Yes homeowners paid. Dehumidifiers, carpet, paint and mold treatment. Then they canceled them. There must be some data base, every quote for homeowners insurance cost more, some providers were much more. They sold the house and are moving. I heard her insurance company went after the town for lack of maintenance, I do not know how that came out. I do know that storm drain and a few others was replaced with much larger ones and the ditch Is much larger. Area is fairly flat, so the flow speed is slower so the bigger ditch affected several peoples yards, which did not go over well.. City in revenge I think, left the are torn up for many months as they slowly fixed it. I finally turned in the city to the state for not putting in the required sediment controls, and then it was fixed pretty quickly.

rod

This is getting ridiculous! Woke up to find my garage under water for the 3RD TIME SINCE AUGUST!!. With the exception of one or two dry days, it's literally been raining constant since the end of August.

Not as bad as the flood in August, thank God. Everything is still elevated from the August flood - what didn't get thrown out, that is.

It just will not stop raining. Correction, downpouring. We haven't been getting your standard rain, we have been getting torrential downpours for hours on end this year it seems. Supposed to get light rain all night but woke up at 3am to a downpour and it just kept going. When I went downstairs to let the dog out, I found out I was lakefront again. All the pumps are dropped, turned on and pointed up hill. Nothing I can do now except let the harbor freight pumps do their thing.

I do believe some of this has something to do with some construction about 3 miles north of me in a flood plain. There is a LOT of water that is now displaced. There were a few small detention and retention ponds built, but they just don't have the capacity.

I can't wait to move to higher ground. Then it can rain for 3 months straight (like it has been) and I won't have a care in the world!
Sadly ,this is the new norm , likely to get worse . Hopefully , wrong .

Last edited:
Try your homeowners. A few years ago, a road storm drain blocked, and got the carpet wet in my sisters slab home. They were NOT on a 100 year flood plain, not even close. Yes homeowners paid. Dehumidifiers, carpet, paint and mold treatment. Then they canceled them. There must be some data base, every quote for homeowners insurance cost more, some providers were much more. They sold the house and are moving. I heard her insurance company went after the town for lack of maintenance, I do not know how that came out. I do know that storm drain and a few others was replaced with much larger ones and the ditch Is much larger. Area is fairly flat, so the flow speed is slower so the bigger ditch affected several peoples yards, which did not go over well.. City in revenge I think, left the are torn up for many months as they slowly fixed it. I finally turned in the city to the state for not putting in the required sediment controls, and then it was fixed pretty quickly.

rod

The last flood I tried homeowners insurance and they won't do anything for me. It's just a ridiculously high water table.

Flood plain ratings are now included in home sales .

Conveniently my lot isn't in a flood zone. The lot directly next to mine, which is 3' higher is. Strange how that works. Unfortunately this may be the new norm for weather patterns. But this time next year we'll be on higher ground.

Back