Please stop raining!!!!

This is getting ridiculous! Woke up to find my garage under water for the 3RD TIME SINCE AUGUST!!. With the exception of one or two dry days, it's literally been raining constant since the end of August.

Not as bad as the flood in August, thank God. Everything is still elevated from the August flood - what didn't get thrown out, that is.

It just will not stop raining. Correction, downpouring. We haven't been getting your standard rain, we have been getting torrential downpours for hours on end this year it seems. Supposed to get light rain all night but woke up at 3am to a downpour and it just kept going. When I went downstairs to let the dog out, I found out I was lakefront again. All the pumps are dropped, turned on and pointed up hill. Nothing I can do now except let the harbor freight pumps do their thing.

I do believe some of this has something to do with some construction about 3 miles north of me in a flood plain. There is a LOT of water that is now displaced. There were a few small detention and retention ponds built, but they just don't have the capacity.

I can't wait to move to higher ground. Then it can rain for 3 months straight (like it has been) and I won't have a care in the world!
Same problem here in MA. Non stop downpours all summer and now fall. Doesn't take much to flood.

Later in life I plan to move to a desert. After growing up in a town that always flooded now living in a house that floods. .. I'm done with water!

I hear you loud and clear. That is exactly what I did back in 1991. After 38 years of living in the Midwest, (Chicago suburbs), we got completely fed up with the lousy weather, crazy politics, and insane taxes, and left for Arizona. I tell people it was the smartest move I ever made. The dumbest was waiting until I was 38 years old to do it.

So glad we moved:

Snoqualmie River near Carnation expected to crest early Saturday morning
komonews.com/news/local/snoqualmie-river-near-carnation-expected-to-crest-early-saturday-morning

Commute is gonna suck for some people and tons more rain on the way.

Having been involved in multiple post flood engineering analysis and subsequent flood prevention and mitigation projects, it was interesting going house shopping. I told our realtor that don't be surprised if I walk up to a house and in 30 seconds say no. She says, what do you mean? You develop an eye for problematic properties when you've worked on enough of them... And sure enough, found a wonderful house that I had to say no to due to drainage.
I had to do that this summer on my big lot. 2 acers all gently sloped but when the ground gets saturated and there is a heavy rain it's quite the run off. And my neighbor had water that came onto the property. All fixed now. Don't think the neighbor is happy though.

I would complain to the city relentlessly if new development altered the water flow on your property. Just be a huge thorn in their side until they resolve it. Selling that place is going to be a real problem until it gets corrected.

Sorry to hear the news of flooding.

Can you post a photo of your garage ?

What type of photo would you like to see? How it sits partially below grade, the destroyed slab or how much of a disaster it is inside 😁 I never put it back together after the August flood so it's chaos.

We moved partly because of a flooded basement . Luckily it came up through the cement floor . Was clear . Still a job to clean . Used 2 dehumidifiers for many hours and months after . The floor and walls continued to crack and peel . The house was not in a flood zone at that time . May be now . There was a small brook behind it . Usually there was very little water and on occasion it got close to drying up . Hard / fast rainfall was getting more frequent back in mid to late 2000s' .

Last edited:
I live in a flood plain and when the built the house they put a drain in the crawlspace. Crawlspace floor is sand with plastic over it. Who knows how old, at least 40 years since I've been here. I always thought that when the water came up and flooded the crawlspace it was from the drain. Drain level is where the water reaches the mail box out front.

I bought a 4" drain plug check valve that would shut when the water started backing up. So when the last flood came I went down to check it out as the water was near the flooding point and low and behold the crawlspace was flooding but the water was just coming up through the sand floor.
Looking N from the road at high point 011108.jpg

What type of photo would you like to see? How it sits partially below grade, the destroyed slab or how much of a disaster it is inside 😁 I never put it back together after the August flood so it's chaos.
All 3 photos.

I hear ya on the 'moisture'. I'm about 1300ft above sea level, but live on the side of a mountain. My yard has been mush for weeks from the rain we've had.

Ugh bad news. NOAA says la nina all winter and lasting until June of 2022. It's literally not going to stop raining for 8 months. And we won't get much snow, either.

Rivers , creeks , brooks and springs flowing with plenty of water . I don't think I've seen them this high at this time of year . There's also many lawns and fields with large pools . That too is not typical .

Same problem here in MA. Non stop downpours all summer and now fall. Doesn't take much to flood.

Rivers , creeks , brooks and springs flowing with plenty of water . I don't think I've seen them this high at this time of year . There's also many lawns and fields with large pools . That too is not typical .
And it's STILL pouring. 2 months ago we were thinking....wow hasn't rained all summer hope our well will be OK :)
:(

Here is a picture from our closed road looking at the neighbor's property. He is ok, just nervous. We are perfectly fine, just house bound! Our house is way up slope.

floodfromroad.jpg

Woke up this morning to the sump pump running near constant in the crawlspace. Back yard full of water, garage starting to get water in it. Turns out overnight my sump pump line from the back yard pump to the neighbor's drainage. Not sure if it froze or just failed from being used so much this summer but the water was just spraying right back into the basin. Made a quick trip to Home Depot, got another and we're pumping again!

Did some jockeying around of the vehicles this morning to load the Jeep on the trailer. I now have my grand marquis stuck in the front yard. It sunk right to the frame. Whoops. I'll have to winch it out in the morning.

Back