I Am Tired of Hearing Thicker is Better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thicker can be a fail-safe choice. When oil consumption shows up thicker is better. Going thinner than recommended requires some thought and possibly some follow up. I don't think that thicker will cause immediate problems but thinner just might. Fuel dilution is becoming more of a problem in modern engines and thicker oil might supply a little safety margin. Putting 20w oil in an engine that specifies a 60w requires some consideration, especially when that engine costs more than my motor home. The uoa's may not prove that one is better than the other but it does show that the engine is not at risk for a lubrication failure.

Quote:

Thicker can be a fail-safe choice. ....... Fuel dilution is becoming more of a problem in modern engines and thicker oil might supply a little safety margin. Putting 20w oil in an engine that specifies a 60w requires some consideration, The uoa's may not prove that one is better than the other but it does show that the engine is not at risk for a lubrication failure.

I agree and that is probably why they come that way.

Quote:

""Next I go to Bruceblend 20w-50"'

Gary is that the ASHLESS AW pak, NON VII, shear stable smells like bubblegum one?
LOL
bruce

Naturally ..."straight up" if you please
grin.gif

Quote:

I just don't see any good reason to go with a 20 weight unless one is doing very short trips in a very cold environment.

BRILLIANT!!!
smile.gif

A simple statement that gets the point across without being controversial; I wish I could've thought of it.
cheers.gif

I'm just sick of everybody with viscosity phobia. If the filter isn't blocked and the oil pump is working reasonably and the oil is reasonably 'clean' your engine will run forever. Vehicles here run 0W20 to 40W70 and 40yrs old on original engine.

IMHO, 20W-50 and other relatively thick oils will protect any road car engine perfectly well. Thinner oils have been developed to protect as well as thicker oils under non-extreme conditions of heat, with a small improvement in fuel economy. If you don't care about the small improvement in fuel economy, the thicker oil will work well.

In my experience, car manufacturers in Australia give a wide range of choice. Toyotas for example, list a 30 weight for better economy but 50 weights are able to be used and are often recommended in extreme heat.

Quote:

IMHO, 20W-50 and other relatively thick oils will protect any road car engine perfectly well. Thinner oils have been developed to protect as well as thicker oils under non-extreme conditions of heat, with a small improvement in fuel economy. If you don't care about the small improvement in fuel economy, the thicker oil will work well.

In my experience, car manufacturers in Australia give a wide range of choice. Toyotas for example, list a 30 weight for better economy but 50 weights are able to be used and are often recommended in extreme heat.

Addendum: I should add of course, that this does not apply in extreme cold climates where a thin oil may prevent engine damage. We don't really experience such conditions in Australia, especially on the east coast.

I'm hoping, and am somewhat confident, that the Civic and F150 are doing fine on 5W-20 Synthetic (PP and QP respectively) year round.

I am gald all points are put forward in a constructive way regarding selection of oil for optimum vehicle longevity, running cost and use.

In all of our endeavours in finding the holy oil grail I would be interested to know the what is the length of time members keep their vehicles.

Virginoil

Quote:

I'm just sick of everybody with viscosity phobia. If the filter isn't blocked and the oil pump is working reasonably and the oil is reasonably 'clean' your engine will run forever. Vehicles here run 0W20 to 40W70 and 40yrs old on original engine.

Wisdom from down under - well said sir.

What we can lean from all this is that if one has the knowledge of the average mechanic that is talking to the average vehicle owner with all the knowledge between them we must come to the conclusion that thicker is indeed better. We then have to qualify 'better' and define it as safer.

I was running GC 0w-30 in my V8 4Runner and had a Toyota service manager tell me that running such a thin oil would almost certainly damage my engine. His advice, you ask? 5w-30 as recommended or for towing or severe application run 10w-30, a much thicker oil. He pointed out that 10w is twice as thick as 5w and 5w was 5 times thicker than 0w. When dealing with such a person and an uninformed customer thicker might be safer, not better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back