0W-30 RLI, Enzo Ferrari 1,400mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
10/2007:
This is my neighbor’s 2003 Ferrari Enzo with a total of 8,800 miles on the left column and my 2003 Enzo with a total of 3,000 miles on the right column (middle column as of today-2009). Both cars had 1,400 miles on the oil. His obviously had more break-in time. He had the oil changed by the Ferrari dealer using the required 10W60 Shell Helix Ultra Racing oil. I ran 0W30 Castrol GC.

The recommended interval is 5,000 miles, less if on the track. This is strictly off track use in town and on the highway, probably 50-50 for his car and 90 percent city for me.

7/2009:
Another 1,400 miles on the Enzo now with 4,400 miles, still not broken in fully. When I took out the GC I put in 0W-30 RLI. This is what we are testing here today. Again, tested by Dyson. Remember that his testing counts larger particles as well as all the smaller ones so other labs may give false lower values.

My driving has been exclusively in town and most often back and forth from Home Depot for small items. Just before this sample was taken we drove to the Ferrari dealership in Tampa to test drive the new Ferrari California. Going there and back took a total of 2.5 hours or so and about half of the way back it rained (very hard).

So the fuel dilution was probably much higher before this short trip. At no time has the oil temperature in this engine gotten above 180 F. This oil has been in for nearly two years but Terry Dyson says I should just keep going (and going and going).

What is particularly interesting is that I put in 0W-30 RLI and the viscosity (with probably even a lesser dilution after this trip) is in the 20 grade area now. Remember that a 60 grade oil is spec’ed.
................................................................................................................

_____________Shell..GC...RLI
Iron___________ 32...11...7
Chromium ______ Nickel __________ 2...1....0
Aluminum ______ 11...3....2
lead ___________ 16...0....3
Copper _________25...8....4
Tin ____________ Silver _________ Titanium _______ Silicon __________ 7...3....4
Boron __________ 1...3....16
Sodium _________ 8...3....10
Potassium ______ Molybdenum ____ Phosphorus ___1026..935...1032
Zinc ________ 1135..1228..1055
Calcium _____ 1454..1671..2108
Barium _______ Magnesium ___1219...526..53
Antimony _____ Vanadium ______ Fuel %Vol _____ Flash_______not done..335..320
Abs Oxid ______ 34...10...127
Abs Nitr _______ 11...8....8
Wtr %vol ______ Vis CS 100C __ 15.8...11.8...8.6
Vic CS 40C___not done...66...44
SAE Grade _____40....30....20
Gly test ______NEG...0.37 “not antifreeze”....0
TBN _________not done...7.9....5.9
Visc Index_____not done..154...177
Soot__________not done...0...0.01

aehaas

Last edited by a moderator:
I having a difficult time staying focused after reading about driving an Enzo to Home Depot. That would take multiple trips just to get a box of nails home, but you could make good time doing it.

I'm not an oil expert, but the numbers looks slightly better from left to right based primarily on the iron content. It sounds like your miles on the RLI were "harder" on the oil than the other two OCIs making it look even better.

Speaking of Enzo's, I was in Dubai recently and noticed a yellow Enzo on the showroom floor at the exotic dealership. Their autotrader had two for sale. I've never been a huge fan of the Enzo looks compared to other Ferrari options, but you got to love the engineering and design that goes into them.

Thanks for posting this.
700 miles/year? Easy to see why viscosity & flash has dropped.
Never above 180°F? I assume then no track time ever on these 2 cars?
What is oil capacity & oil amount remaining after a change?
How much makeup oil in the samples & was it the same fluid as the fill oil?
I believe that you had said at one time that you were keeping Ferrari NA in the loop on your experiments. Is that still true? Any feedback from them?

'700 sporty miles per year, mostly very short trips, severe conditions for sure. The oil capacity is 12 quarts I think, 14 at most. Probably only 80 percent changed with a single oil change. However, with each change of brand I changed the oil, ran the engine for 15 minutes, then changed it again with the same new oil. This is a real waste in a way but I wanted to get most of the old stuff out.

No make up oil was added.

I do have friends at Ferrari North America.

aehaas

Honestly, I see absolutely no advantage to using RLI. Might was well use off the shelf any brand 0w-30. Oil is now a 20 grade. Can't really determine much of anything from this analysis.

The reason I like the RLI is that it is the least thick oil at room temperature that I have seen. I am less patient as the years go by and floor the cars before I should. It seems I am not being hurt by this.

aehaas

PS - I think it also shows that an engine designed for a 60 grade oil can do very well with a 20 grade oil, maybe better.

Last edited:
I thought RLI is supposed to resist fuel dilution

Is the Gc and RLI tested at same miles? fuel looks about same in both oils.
bruce

Yes, each oil was in for 1,400 miles. Remember that I only ran the Enzo once on the open road, for 2.5 hours. This certainly burned off some of the fuel in the oil just before this sample was obtained. I am sure the fuel was much higher before this past weekend's trip to Tampa.

Incidentally, test drive the California, nice Ferrari.

aehaas

nothing can be determined due to both engines still being in break-in stages. One may not necessarily want as thin an oil as possible for stomping on it when cold, due to mismatched CTEs and the need for a heavier barrier between unfit parts.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
nothing can be determined due to both engines still being in break-in stages. One may not necessarily want as thin an oil as possible for stomping on it when cold, due to mismatched CTEs and the need for a heavier barrier between unfit parts.

X2

my question was relating to how much the RLI sheared vs the GC if both were at 1400 miles with fuel at per the test 1.2 or so.
I guess there is no baseline VOA on the GC or the RLI?

bruce

Only an '03 Enzo? Wow, such an old model!! *SHOCK AND HORROR* Shouldn't you have a couple of FXX's by now??
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
You have an Enzo? Cool. That's about all I can muster for a reply. Stunning car. Rock on!

Ask him what else he has.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: element_42
Only an '03 Enzo? Wow, such an old model!! *SHOCK AND HORROR* Shouldn't you have a couple of FXX's by now??
banana2.gif

It is the week end cruiser!

Originally Posted By: element_42
banana2.gif

They are called vintage! though an 03 may not be there yet.

Originally Posted By: AEHaas
The reason I like the RLI is that it is the least thick oil at room temperature that I have seen. I am less patient as the years go by and floor the cars before I should. It seems I am not being hurt by this.

aehaas

PS - I think it also shows that an engine designed for a 60 grade oil can do very well with a 20 grade oil, maybe better.

RP XPR 5W-20 would be lighter than RLI at room temp. It's 40C vis is 36.7 cSt vs RLI of 44 cSt. Additionally, I think Terry likes RP.
BTW, I'm almost certain the RLI oil you have is their 0W-20 grade. It's too much of a coincidence with Terry's vis figures being identical to RLI's published figures for their 0W-20. That and I just can't imagine the 0W-30 would have sheared that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back