Enzo - New Haas' 0W-30 Formula UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not knocking the oil used here, but with a 15qt capacity, 1000 mile OCI and relatively mild driving, I would think that the UAO should look a lot like a VOA. I would hope that the downtrend in iron is due to break-in as opposed to oil performance. I appreciate that the data was shared here, really, but given the sump size, OCI duration, and driving style, is there something that someone brighter than me can glean from this report?

Yes, but you can only get out so much of the oil so it is not a complete change and old oil is left behind. Also, we have not had complete break in yet. Compare to my neighbor's Enzo at about 9,000 miles in the first column.

My thinking is that there is NO wear evidence. This oil is very stable despite the fuel dilution, a problem in my cars ordinarily. I conclude that this is my favorite oil to date and that I will be using it in the other cars as well.

aehaas

But with a 1000 mile oci, how bad would wear need to be to observe it.

With an average vehicle, with average oil, and an average driving style, one may expect to see 4 ppm of iron per 1000 miles per 5 quarts of oil -just as an example. So, if this OCI had average wear, with a 3X sump, you may expect to see 1 ppm iron. Throw in a little measurement error and leftover wear material from the previous OC and perhaps you would see 0 to 5 ppm iron. From this report, your wear could be zero, average, or something above average and you would not be able to differentiate the three options. The same rationale could be used for lead, copper, etc.

I am appreciative that you have shared your results, but the only conclusion that I can find is that you are not experiencing catastrophic failure or accelerated wear. I cannot find a way to leap to the conclusion that your current fill is any better than an average conventional from this particular data. Perhaps a valid conclusion is that two years in the sump is not a problem in your environment.

Please continue to share your results even if some of us can't yet find a way to draw any conclusions.

Even though the OCI is only a 1,000 miles I think this is a great report. At two years, corrosion can potentially be an issue and there is no sign of that.
I don't believe the argument that the wear numbers should be low due to the large sump capacity is valid since the Enzo's V12 engine has three times the capacity and number of moving parts as a typical 4 cyl engine.

I'm impressed that the RLI oil lost virtually done of it's high original 193 VI despite the fuel dilution.
I also noticed that this version of the RLI 0W-30 has a reduced ZDDP level with no deleterious affect.

A question I do have for Ali; did you notice a gradual reduction in oil pressure vs the fresh oil orginally or once you changed it out in favor of the new fill?

"...did you notice a gradual reduction in oil pressure vs the fresh oil orginally or once you changed it out in favor of the new fill?"

I cannot remember what happened the last time I changed the oil. This time around I have not yet taken the car off the lift for the fill. I am waiting for a new set of accessory fan belts from Italy, should be here next week.

aehaas

Originally Posted By: AEHaas
"...did you notice a gradual reduction in oil pressure vs the fresh oil orginally or once you changed it out in favor of the new fill?"

I cannot remember what happened the last time I changed the oil. This time around I have not yet taken the car off the lift for the fill. I am waiting for a new set of accessory fan belts from Italy, should be here next week.

aehaas

Pics or it didn't happen. I just want to see the beauty that lies beneath
wink.gif

RE: Unnecessary comments regarding AEHaas' success in his field: Find something you like and become the best at it. Also, manage your money.

I'd consider running RLI in my car if I could have an oil formulated for my usage but I don't supposed I could afford that right now. AEHaas, on a side note, with this supposed granny driving do you also run 87/89 octane instead of 91?

aehaas

May I be so bold to inquire what remuneration this "new set of accessory fan belts" currently command$?

I pre$ume they are not readily available at RockAuto, O'Reilly's or THE ZONE, eh?

Cheers!

p.s. I just had the opportunity to replace the belts (all 5, that is) on both the '91 & '88 I. W126 cars. I found it just short of amazing as to the choices and the range of prices.

I'd guess there is but a single source for the ones you use?

Originally Posted By: qr25de

Pics or it didn't happen. I just want to see the beauty that lies beneath
wink.gif

RE: Unnecessary comments regarding AEHaas' success in his field: Find something you like and become the best at it. Also, manage your money.

I would like to strongly emphasize both points made above!

Dr. Haas,

Didn't see a reply to my question earlier: did Bill at RLI tell you if the HTHS was above 3.5 (like the regular 0w30 is)? Did he say if this was suitable for "hard driving"?

No pictures right now as I just sold my Nikon D3 in anticipation of receiving the new D4 next week.

If the belts and camera are here on time I will be able to take a picture. Belts are from Ferrari. I get a discount from the dealer (all dealers of cars I own give me a parts discount). If I remember, the two belts needed add up to around a hundred dollars. They are not big, longs ones but actually very short. One for the alternator and one for the a/c unit. The Enzo may not have cup holders, arm rests nor a radio but it does have a/c.

You will have to ask Bill over at RLI as to the HTHS value. I cannot remember. It was not one of the values I was concerned about.

aehaas

...........This report is for the new “improved formula” that was labelled “Dr. Haas’ Enzo Formula” from RLI. Working with Bill Garmier over at RLI the formula was tweaked to the Enzo’s apparent needs, or maybe I should say “my” needs/wants.

I believe this formulation has been perfected and am considering it’s use in all my cars.....................aehaas

How does the "Enzo Formula" 0W30 differ from the RLI Bio-SynXtra SHP 0W30?

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
...........This report is for the new “improved formula” that was labelled “Dr. Haas’ Enzo Formula” from RLI. Working with Bill Garmier over at RLI the formula was tweaked to the Enzo’s apparent needs, or maybe I should say “my” needs/wants.

I believe this formulation has been perfected and am considering it’s use in all my cars.....................aehaas

How does the "Enzo Formula" 0W30 differ from the RLI Bio-SynXtra SHP 0W30?

Looks to be a bit thicker, with a modified add pack.

Interesting, I wonder how that oil would hold up if you tracked that car and put a lot of heat in it?

Ferrari probably assumes that most of them will either sit as garage queens or be driven pretty hard, hence the 10w60.

I suspect with a dry sump that large and I'm sure their are coolers for everything, it takes a long time for the oil to get any heat in it, heck on the street you probably really can't get it that hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back