Enzo - New Haas' 0W-30 Formula UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Original Enzo Post:
10/2007:
This is my neighbor’s 2003 Ferrari Enzo with a total of 8,800 miles on the left column and my 2003 Enzo with a total of 3,000 miles on the right column (middle column as of today-2009). Both cars had 1,400 miles on the oil. His obviously had more break-in time. He had the oil changed by the Ferrari dealer using the required 10W60 Shell Helix Ultra Racing oil. I ran 0W30 Castrol GC.

The recommended interval is 5,000 miles, less if on the track. This is strictly off track use in town and on the highway, probably 50-50 for his car and 90 percent city for me.

His oil was tested by: www.youroil.net, while I got the full, total evaluation from Terry Dyson at www.dysonanalysis.com.

7/2009:
Another 1,400 miles on the Enzo now with 4,400 miles, still not broken in fully. When I took out the GC I put in 0W-30 RLI. This is what we are testing here today. Again, tested by Dyson. Remember that his testing counts larger particles as well as all the smaller ones so other labs may give false lower values.

My driving has been exclusively in town and most often back and forth from Home Depot for small items. Just before this sample was taken we drove to the Ferrari dealership in Tampa to test drive the new Ferrari California. Going there and back took a total of 2.5 hours or so and about half of the way back it rained (very hard).

So the fuel dilution was probably much higher before this short trip. At no time has the oil temperature in this engine gotten above 180 F. This oil has been in for nearly two years but Terry Dyson says I should just keep going (and going and going).

What is particularly interesting is that I put in 0W-30 RLI and the viscosity (with probably even a lesser dilution after this trip) is in the 20 grade area now. Remember that a 60 grade oil is spec’ed.

2/2/2012 Current Report - Last, 4th, right column:
Well it has been over 2 years so I changed the oil even though it only had another 1,000 miles on it. This report is for the new “improved formula” that was labelled “Dr. Haas’ Enzo Formula” from RLI. Working with Bill Garmier over at RLI the formula was tweaked to the Enzo’s apparent needs, or maybe I should say “my” needs/wants.

I believe this formulation has been perfected and am considering it’s use in all my cars. I am not sure my wife will allow such a thick oil in her Murcielago however.
................................................................................................................

_____________Shell..GC..RLI...RLI - “Dr. Haas Enzo Formula”
Iron___________ 32...11...7...3 (Fe in RLI VOA =2)
Chromium ______ Nickel __________ 2...1....0...0
Aluminum ______ 11...3....2...0
lead ___________ 16...0....3...1
Copper _________25...8....4...3
Tin ____________ Silver _________ Titanium _______ Silicon __________ 7...3....4...2
Boron __________ 1...3....16..17
Sodium _________ 8...3....10...8
Potassium ______ Molybdenum ____ Phosphorus ___1026...935..1032..698
Zinc ________ 1135..1228..1055..988
Calcium _____ 1454..167..2108..1898
Barium _______ Magnesium ___1219...526..53..19
Antimony _____ Vanadium ______ Fuel %Vol _____ Flash_______not done..335..320..300
Abs Oxid ______ 34...10..127...95
Abs Nitr _______ 11....8....8....7
Wtr %vol ______ Vis CS 100C __ 15.8...11.8...8.6...9.8
Vic CS 40C___not done..66...44...48
SAE Grade _____40....30....20....30
Gly test ______NEG...0.37 “not antifreeze”....0...0
TBN _________not done...7.9....5.9...6.4
TAN _________not done...1.7....1.4...1.3
Visc Index_____not done..154...177...192
Soot__________not done...0....0.01....0

aehaas

Are you saying the 0w30 that I can buy from RLI is the same as what you run, or is yours a custom blend? I have been strongly considering it for my Audi after Bill told me the HTHS is about 3.6.

Wait, you are probably the only guy in the world taking a Enzo for a home depot run . Looks like a 30 wt is all it needs if the temps stay low enough.

Last edited:
Is it generally ok to ignore time mandated ocis?

My wife doesn't drive her CLK550 Convertible much but I change it every year as that's what Mercedes say. Could I run it to the 10k over 3 years?

Originally Posted By: rjacket
Is it generally ok to ignore time mandated ocis?

My wife doesn't drive her CLK550 Convertible much but I change it every year as that's what Mercedes say. Could I run it to the 10k over 3 years?

Why jump from 1 year OCIs straight to 3 years? Get a UOA done after 1 year and run it for 2 if the oil is healthy. Oil is cheap and 3 years is way too long, IMO.

It was more of a theoretical question exploring the reasoning behind time mandated oci

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AEHaas
This report is for the new “improved formula” that was labelled “Dr. Haas’ Enzo Formula” from RLI. Working with Bill Garmier over at RLI the formula was tweaked to the Enzo’s apparent needs, or maybe I should say “my” needs/wants.

I wish i had oil named after me...
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Artem
This report is for the new “improved formula” that was labelled “Dr. Haas’ Enzo Formula” from RLI. Working with Bill Garmier over at RLI the formula was tweaked to the Enzo’s apparent needs, or maybe I should say “my” needs/wants.

frown.gif

Just change your name!

I'm going to become known as Pennzoil Ultra from now on. That'll get me even more kudos on these forums.

frown.gif

Just change your name!

I'm going to become known as Pennzoil Ultra from now on. That'll get me even more kudos on these forums.

crackmeup2.gif

Tomorrow, i will be Mr.Haas
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Could I run it to the 10k over 3 years?

Not if you're under warranty.

So yes if I'm not / don't care about warranty

grin.gif

You can buy, from RLI directly, the " 0W-30 Haas Enzo Formula " and it is the same thing I am running here. The previous and this run of RLI were both around 2 years. I conversed with Terry Dyson and he says there is no reason not to go another year, maybe more. On this current run of the same formulation I will take it out 3 years without worry.

The previous run was 1,400 miles and this latest one was 1,000 miles.

I agree that you should start with an oil change at one year and if OK, increase the interval with testing as the base. Do not just say that the Enzo works so anything else will. Local environments, the actual engine and other factors may come into play. In any case I am not worried at all by keeping this oil in My engine at My location for 3 years or more.

aehaas

frown.gif

It's amazing what money can buy you.

You can buy, from RLI directly, the " 0W-30 Haas Enzo Formula " and it is the same thing I am running here. The previous and this run of RLI were both around 2 years. I conversed with Terry Dyson and he says there is no reason not to go another year, maybe more. On this current run of the same formulation I will take it out 3 years without worry.

The previous run was 1,400 miles and this latest one was 1,000 miles.

I agree that you should start with an oil change at one year and if OK, increase the interval with testing as the base. Do not just say that the Enzo works so anything else will. Local environments, the actual engine and other factors may come into play. In any case I am not worried at all by keeping this oil in My engine at My location for 3 years or more.

aehaas

Has the Haas 0w30 been tested in any engine tests, such as the Seq IIIG, IVA and TEOST? What about rust and corrosion testing?

I would hope the oil has been properly tested for seal compatibility etc. Otherwise, suggesting you go 3 years based off a UOA is kind of ridiculous IMO.

They seem to be very good from what others have said.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Could I run it to the 10k over 3 years?

Not if you're under warranty.

So yes if I'm not / don't care about warranty

grin.gif

We've seen a number of UOAs here where the oil was in service for 2, 3, even 4 years. There was nothing unusual detected by the UOA at that point. I myself have about 14 months on my 530i oil right now. I'm waiting till Spring to change it.

There are people who get into trouble because they own a car that may sit for 6 months without a single drive, then only on Sundays for the next 6 months. It sits in a damp garage, worse yet it experiences extremes of weather.

The ability to go longer with an oil change has to account for all things, oil is one of them.

With a detailed, professional UOA and interpretation you have a data point to consider. Visual inspection of the engine, knowledge of local conditions and driving styles weigh in the decision.

All I can say is that I feel comfortable with my decision to go 3 years on this current oil.

Regarding seals and oil leaks, Enzos are known to have seal issues, many have had them replaced already. My engine, for now, is dry, another reason I am liking this oil formulation.

aehaas

........Working with Bill Garmier over at RLI the formula was tweaked to the Enzo’s apparent needs, or maybe I should say “my” needs/wants.
.........I believe this formulation has been perfected and am considering it’s use in all my cars...........aehaas

aehaas, can you elaborate a little more about your needs/wants for this oil?

Because you drive this thing like a Honda Fit, and not like a sports car, your light weight oil has little meaning since the engine is not being exercised as a sport car. This use of light-weight oil in a lightly used car (no matter the make) makes sense...but it makes you seem like a rich person who "wants to be seen" as a pioneer. No it just makes others wonder if that money that you spent on an Enzo to go buy small items at Home Depot, using light-weight oil, couldn't have gone to better use with so many others hurtung financially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back