I-35 Bridge Collapse

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're doing away with monetary tolls down here, forcing us to have an RFID device in the car when travelling certain roads.

Either that or numberplate recognition.

I live and work in the area and (used to) travel across it. TV doesn't show it justice.

Look at the ratings the inspections gave it - a 4 out of 0-9 for the sub-structure.

Too much money is going to trains here, not the infrastructure for the over-travelled highways here.

crazy.gif
mad.gif
spankme.gif

Here's a video of the collapse. I find it curious that the entire center span falls at once. There was no "domino effect" as has been reported.

I heard that a Federal report in 2005 indicated the bridge has structural issues. Seems such information should be provided to the public. I would sure like to know which bridges are labeled as structurally deficient and avoid them.

Last news report I heard reduced the number of confirmed dead to 4 (from 7). I'm sure it will rise again, unfortunately. Thoughts and prayers to the missing and their loved ones.

Anyone have video of the span bridge (from the 70's I think) which failed due to harmonic resonance? I believe it was out west somewhere. Very scary.

I would be very careful in placing too much weight on overall ratings of the bridge. The ratings are simply a tool to help prioritize repair and replacement projects. I believe the rating that put the bridge in the structuraly deficient rating in the 2005 federal reports was a 50 out of 100. 50 and below receives the structurally deficient tag. In this case, there wasn't any one item that brought the rating lower, it was a combination of all the different elements being mediocre. IIRC, lots of different items factor into these ratings - not just structural - such as whether the traffic counts exceed the design assumptions or if there are safety shoulders, etc... A bridge engineer at MnDOT charecterized the rating as not terrible but not good.

Good luck avoiding structurally deficient or functionlly obsolete bridges. Over 27% of the nations bridges fall into those "failing" categories as of 2003.

As I mentioned in my previous post, this bridge was the subject of increased inspection because of its design charecteristics. Previous reports identified areas for increased inspection and monitoring and concern, but did not identify imminent failures.

Ya, I know I live in MN. Kust gald I wasn't working yesterday as I'm a Paramedic. What a scene !!

Very sad and scary story. We lived near the Twin Cities for 4 years.

I'm thinking the new/replacement bridge should have piers/Pillars supports in the river. The bridge next to it does.

Quote:

Seriously - if you watch the video, one end "released" first.

It definitely seems like the right side fell first, pulling the left side down with it. I don't see how you'd call that a "domino effect", but it does see pretty clear that one side pulled the rest down with it.

Well, I have an idea. Why don't we lease all our bridges to foreign companies, just like we are about to do with some of our highways and freeways? Let them deal with tolls, maintenance and rebuilding.
tongue.gif

Many people benefit greatly from bridges and roads, even though they personally don't use them.
If the Fed Govt. repaired/replaced every bridge and overpass in the USA, there would be a tremendous outcry, due to the unthinkable massive spending. It is un-doable.
But when something breaks, somehow the Govt. should have known about it before and done something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back