I-35 Bridge Collapse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bridge collapse of I-35 Westbound in Minneapolis. OMG. I couldn't imagine what it must be like to live through that horror.

Foxnews.com has a live feed on their main web page.

The infrastructure is aging and crumbling. A state of disrepair is all too common. An adage about chickens that come home to roost comes to mind.

I remember when in the late '80s much of Germany's highways were suddenly exposed of being so worn down that the surface was almost as slick as ice when wet. The UK had that problem, too. The cost and effort to resurface so many highways was massive. I don't know if it's all done by now -- probably not. We also had some Autobahn overpasses collapse.

Maybe I'm wrong about the age an condition of roads and structures and it's just that people got heavier.

Yep, our infrastructure is ancient and in deplorable shape, but no one wants their fuel taxes increased to pay for the rehab. It's not just highways, though. The steam line in NYC that recently popped immediately comes to mind.

What'll be next?????

The U.S. tax payer is happily rebuilding Iraq as well as supporting the third world and many dictators. How can this country afford rebuild its own infrastructure.

Who designed and who constructed the bridge?

How old was it?

Prayers for the living relatives. I guess it could have been many more people as lousy as that sounds.

Quote:

The U.S. tax payer is happily rebuilding Iraq as well as supporting the third world and many dictators. How can this country afford rebuild its own infrastructure.

+1
cheers.gif

I'm glad my family or myself wasn't on that bridge. I don't think any of my co-workers were on it either. One of our main facilities is just west of there along the river.

Hard to imagine the absolute terror one would feel if a bridge suddenly fell out from under you! Or at 70mph coming upon a gaping expanse!

As far as road building and upkeep, toll fees seem an excellent solution to me. Let those who use pay the cost.

Bob

Quote:

This country has money to [insert policy I disagree with here] but they didn't have the money to repair this bridge.

[Insert policy] is the reason why NOLA is still the way it is and why some of my friends had to drop out of school or take out loans because tuition rose so quickly with no help.

It's very sad and it makes me worried to drive back to Baton Rouge over the 20 mile Atchafalaya basin bridge... it's not new and Louisiana is one of the poorest states in the US.

In the aftermath we'll learn of the too few bridge inspectors that didn't get around to assuring that this bridge was up to the task of handling the traffic.

Sad thing. Look forward to more.

..and the tailspin really hasn't gotten into full swing yet. Nobody believes the in your face indicators.

Couple of things - first, say a prayer for the families and friends affected by this collapse - 7 dead at last check, but lots of missing folks right now.

The bridge is actually on I-35W, both north/southbound in Minneapolis over the Mississippi River. I-35 splits into I-35W and I-35E in the Twin Cities to go to both Minneapolis and Saint Paul. The bridge was carrying about 140,000 vehicles per day.

The bridge was constructed in 1967 and was undergoing rehabilitation of the 8 lane deck at the time of the collapse. Work had been ongiong for about six weeks to repair the delmainations in the deck. Lots of speculation about the deck rehab and its interaction with the failure.

For those unfamiliar with the area, the bridge crosses the Mississppi River just downstream of lower Saint Anthony Falls near downtown Minneapolis. As a result, there is often a huge amount of moisture in the air in the area, which has caused corrosion problems. The bridge was equipped with an automatic deicing system that applied potassium acetate liquid deicer to the bridge deck during winter conditions. Prior to the deicing system, black ice was a huge problem on this bridge in the wintertime.

The bridge was constructed with a 400+ foot main span to cross the river without piers to avoid impacts on river navigation. The bridge passed its last inspections in 2005 and 2006. Several reports studying this specific bridge design have been conducted in the past. The bridge contains what are called "Fracture Critical Members". This describes parts of a bridge that are subject to tension loadings that if they fail will likley result in the complete failue of the bridge. Fatigue cracking and failure is a major issue in these systems.

Its going to be a while before we know what happened here. No real use in speculating at this point - the real answer will eventually come out.

(I used to cross over this bridge a minimum of 2x daily in my previous consulting life. I'm a civil engineer by trade - though my specialty is NOT bridges/structural engineering - but I remember enough to be dangerous!).

I guess this is why there has been so much bridge replacement in Toronto in recent years. There was one that collapsed in Quebec last year, killing 5. Corroding rebar expands inside the concrete, breaking it apart.

Quote:

As far as road building and upkeep, toll fees seem an excellent solution to me. Let those who use pay the cost.

Wouldn't increased fuel taxes be more efficient than stopping people for tolls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back