Hyundai Kona N

I just put a deposit down for a Kona N today. It should be arriving next month sometime. I had to drive 45 minutes outside of my large metro area to find a dealer that was selling at MSRP. I was surprised that they did with the N. They sell all their cars at MSRP but usually with a performance model, dealers love tacking on ADM. It will be a Sonic Blue one, my first color choice.

I been a VW fan boi for the last 20 years but the MK8 GTI doesn’t do anything for me. The interior with all its haptic and slider controls is just a mistake on their part. The shifter consol looks straight out of Yugo. The Kona’s interior will be a fresh look for me since all VW’s interiors look the same these days.

Attachments

• CF2A9682-C145-4E94-A07D-C1D8D4FBCBF8.jpeg
    CF2A9682-C145-4E94-A07D-C1D8D4FBCBF8.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 85
I can't say i agree with you on the new VWs but i really like the Kona N too. Please share pics when you get it. From all the reviews i've seen, the Kona N is a much better daily proposition than the Veloster N.

Hyundai failed on this rendition of the Kona N. I had money down on the Kona N a year ago and pulled it when I corresponded Asian youtubers who had race track access to the Kona N test mules, that where all 2WD. When I found that out, I pulled my money. It is really sad Hyundai did not add the AWD option or came out with just an AWD version. A $1,400 option. And no excuse that they would have to design parts as the rear diff in my car can handle 1,100 ftlbs of torque per the manufactures website. So that means you could make a 800 hp Kona N AWD and be in the safe threshold of torque ratings of the rear diff. The measurements as far as chassis are so close to the GTI/Golf R. So my AWD car is so close to the Golf R and GTI close to the Kona N. They also have the full drivetrain for up and coming cars. 1/3 of Hyundais are AWD , so it is a "breeze" for them to add AWD. The Hyundai rear Multi-Link suspension was designed by an Audi/VW BMW engineer.

The Kona N has been "crippled" with a horrid roll center for "no good reason" If there was a Kona N AWD it would be the King of the N cars, so now it basically a crippled "also ran." There was a youtube tester that drove a Kona N and Elantra N side by side and that tester called out how twitchy the Kona N is because Hyundai did not lower it. The roll center is killing this car for no good reason. The Kona needs more weight in the rear to be setup a more advantageous weight distribution. My AWD kona, I had to add 100+more weight over and above the added rear diff and driveline weight. This added weight added SO SO much to handling balance. This is even after I added semi ridged semi solid suspenion bushings and lowering it 2 inches with increase spring rate springs and "tuned" with spring rubbers.

As an owner of a lowered tuner AWD Kona Limited, I would love to have bought one, but AWD it too important to me in the corners and for towing my boat. If you enable Sport Mode you engage AWD full time at a 95/5 ratio. That makes all the fdifference in the world for towing for me towing. I get a front diff grown in 2WD and NO load in AWD. The Kona is rated for 2,800 lbs towing in Europe/Australia and I tow max 1,400 lbs. Here is a match up of a Kona N vs GTI. The VW has 247hp and the same ftlbs of torque. But as many know if torque matches up your car will be close

Last edited:
I just put a deposit down for a Kona N today. It should be arriving next month sometime. I had to drive 45 minutes outside of my large metro area to find a dealer that was selling at MSRP. I was surprised that they did with the N. They sell all their cars at MSRP but usually with a performance model, dealers love tacking on ADM. It will be a Sonic Blue one, my first color choice.

I been a VW fan boi for the last 20 years but the MK8 GTI doesn’t do anything for me. The interior with all its haptic and slider controls is just a mistake on their part. The shifter consol looks straight out of Yugo. The Kona’s interior will be a fresh look for me since all VW’s interiors look the same these days.
Just a heads up, you don't get those NICE light forged rims that Europe gets as in your picture. The USA gets heavy cast and not the best looking rims.

It could have been a contender.. would have wanted MT and AWD. at the very least one of those.

I'd have even been interested without the MT, but FWD? Oh hell no. It won't even make it up my driveway.
well my ideal car would be a forester with 250-300hp and MT.. but none since 2008.

Reactions: Ws6
Did you drive one?

Not trying to rain on your parade, but I had a 20' Kona SE as a rental last year and wasn't too happy. The Elantra is wayyy better.

Reactions: hrv
I like the USA wheels over the black forged ones. The dealers haven’t received the Kona N cars yet and only the journalists have driven them. The SE only has the 2.0 and 147HP and this N has the 2.0T and 276HP. Your comparing apples to oranges.

I looked at a Kona before I got the Honda HRV.... I did not like all of the hard plastic interior and the numerous issues and recalls that they have been having... I liked the look of the Kona but after weighing all of the points I mentioned I got the Honda HRV Sport...

Another dealer received their Kona N before my dealer did so I stopped by there after work yesterday to check it out. I won’t be buying the N now because the front seats are too narrow for me. The thigh bolsters dig into my legs. The same thing happened back in 2016 when I was looking to buy a Ford Focus ST. The Recaro Seats were so uncomfortable for me that I had to remove it from my list.

955291F6-B0D4-4F2A-A7F0-07E59111BB84.jpeg

Does it still have a lot of cheap hard plastic on the inside????

Exact same interior as the regular Kona, just the seats are different.

Another dealer received their Kona N before my dealer did so I stopped by there after work yesterday to check it out. I won’t be buying the N now because the front seats are too narrow for me. The thigh bolsters dig into my legs. The same thing happened back in 2016 when I was looking to buy a Ford Focus ST. The Recaro Seats were so uncomfortable for me that I had to remove it from my list.

View attachment 83664
That's exactly the problem I had with my Tesla Model 3, the seats look like it too. My ass would fall asleep while driving long distances and 10 minutes afterwards.

Hyundai failed on this rendition of the Kona N. I had money down on the Kona N a year ago and pulled it when I corresponded Asian youtubers who had race track access to the Kona N test mules, that where all 2WD. When I found that out, I pulled my money. It is really sad Hyundai did not add the AWD option or came out with just an AWD version. A $1,400 option. And no excuse that they would have to design parts as the rear diff in my car can handle 1,100 ftlbs of torque per the manufactures website. So that means you could make a 800 hp Kona N AWD and be in the safe threshold of torque ratings of the rear diff. The measurements as far as chassis are so close to the GTI/Golf R. So my AWD car is so close to the Golf R and GTI close to the Kona N. They also have the full drivetrain for up and coming cars. 1/3 of Hyundais are AWD , so it is a "breeze" for them to add AWD. The Hyundai rear Multi-Link suspension was designed by an Audi/VW BMW engineer.

The Kona N has been "crippled" with a horrid roll center for "no good reason" If there was a Kona N AWD it would be the King of the N cars, so now it basically a crippled "also ran." There was a youtube tester that drove a Kona N and Elantra N side by side and that tester called out how twitchy the Kona N is because Hyundai did not lower it. The roll center is killing this car for no good reason. The Kona needs more weight in the rear to be setup a more advantageous weight distribution. My AWD kona, I had to add 100+more weight over and above the added rear diff and driveline weight. This added weight added SO SO much to handling balance. This is even after I added semi ridged semi solid suspenion bushings and lowering it 2 inches with increase spring rate springs and "tuned" with spring rubbers.

As an owner of a lowered tuner AWD Kona Limited, I would love to have bought one, but AWD it too important to me in the corners and for towing my boat. If you enable Sport Mode you engage AWD full time at a 95/5 ratio. That makes all the fdifference in the world for towing for me towing. I get a front diff grown in 2WD and NO load in AWD. The Kona is rated for 2,800 lbs towing in Europe/Australia and I tow max 1,400 lbs. Here is a match up of a Kona N vs GTI. The VW has 247hp and the same ftlbs of torque. But as many know if torque matches up your car will be close

Torque gets multiplied by gearing... at a 5 to 1 ratio for first gear, the engine can have no more than 220 ftlbs and send it all to the rear

Torque gets multiplied by gearing... at a 5 to 1 ratio for first gear, the engine can have no more than 220 ftlbs and send it all to the rear
Are talking about the Kona N or my car, since the Kona N is ONLY 2WD, you must be talking about my car?

Back