HTHS of Pennzoil Plat Euro 0W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Whether that is correct or not I don't know, but that's what they said.

That seems right to me. The sell sheets I've seen have the EcoBoxes and 1 litre bottles, and probably obscenely large bulk quantities, too, but I didn't pay too close attention to that.

In Austin TX Walmart they stock 0w-40 and 5w-30 Euro L take your pick $24.97 for 5 qts. HTHS last I saw was 3.68 for both the 0w-40 and 5w-30 (which is GM Dexos 2 approved). I think Pennzoil stopped publishing it because of a lawsuit with Castrol, disputing the "best protection" claims.

Originally Posted By: Geoff
In Austin TX Walmart they stock 0w-40 and 5w-30 Euro L take your pick $24.97 for 5 qts. HTHS last I saw was 3.68 for both the 0w-40 and 5w-30 (which is GM Dexos 2 approved). I think Pennzoil stopped publishing it because of a lawsuit with Castrol, disputing the "best protection" claims.

The Euro L is a low saps oil. So, mainly for the Euro diesels.

Checked the WalMart in Belligham, WA yesterday....no Pennzoil 5w-40 in jugs or bottles. Only the Pennzoil 0w-40 which is not LL-01. They also had Pennzoil 5w-30 which is only LL-04. I need LL-01 for my older BMW...will stick with Castrol Edge 0w-40.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: f355spider
Checked the WalMart in Belligham, WA yesterday....no Pennzoil 5w-40 in jugs or bottles. Only the Pennzoil 0w-40 which is not LL-01. They also had Pennzoil 5w-30 which is only LL-04. I need LL-01 for my older BMW...will stick with Castrol Edge 0w-40.
wink.gif

What about the BMW branded 0w-40?

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Originally Posted By: f355spider
wink.gif

What about the BMW branded 0w-40?

Discontinued.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w30 is LL-01.
http://test.resource.bmwusa.com/Pdf_2861cf6b-ce4e-4492-8bd7-6bb12c1eea2c.arox
http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/f..._Euro_5W-30.pdf

Except this oil is nowhere to be found. Or at least I have never seen it out in the wild.

What is out there is Pennzoil Euro L 5w-30 which is LL-04.

And supposedly, BMW does not recommend LL-04 in gas engines outside of Europe.

Correct. LL-04 is for their diesel engines in the US.

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w30 is LL-01.
http://test.resource.bmwusa.com/Pdf_2861cf6b-ce4e-4492-8bd7-6bb12c1eea2c.arox
http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/f..._Euro_5W-30.pdf

Except this oil is nowhere to be found. Or at least I have never seen it out in the wild.

What is out there is Pennzoil Euro L 5w-30 which is LL-04.

And supposedly, BMW does not recommend LL-04 in gas engines outside of Europe.

Correct. LL-04 is for their diesel engines in the US.

The other part is the sulfur level in gasoline, where the EU requirement is 10 ppm.

Oddly enough, I can get it if I want an EcoBox. Canadian Tire never knows which 1 L bottle to keep on the shelves, the LL-01 or the LL-04; clearly, the people stocking shelves and doing orders don't know the difference. One of my suppliers wanted LL-04, and was getting hard time from the distributor here. Go figure.

Shell needs to straighten out their naming. Euro L and Euro AV and Euro X and whatever other nonsense they have that has nothing to do with the specification actually met is meaningless to the casual buyer. Castrol calls their 5w-30 PCMO options, for instance, 5w-30 North American, 5w-30 A3/B4, and 5w-30 C3/dexos2, clear as day on the labels.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Oddly enough, I can get it if I want an EcoBox. Canadian Tire never knows which 1 L bottle to keep on the shelves, the LL-01 or the LL-04; clearly, the people stocking shelves and doing orders don't know the difference. One of my suppliers wanted LL-04, and was getting hard time from the distributor here. Go figure.

Shell needs to straighten out their naming. Euro L and Euro AV and Euro X and whatever other nonsense they have that has nothing to do with the specification actually met is meaningless to the casual buyer. Castrol calls their 5w-30 PCMO options, for instance, 5w-30 North American, 5w-30 A3/B4, and 5w-30 C3/dexos2, clear as day on the labels.

I have never seen the Euro LL-01 at CTC, and they do not list it on their website, only the Euro L?!?

I came across it once. I don't know which one they're "supposed" to have, but I saw both at once. I'm pretty sure it was the Euro L shelf tag, but there was a row of each example, along with some cross mixing, which is no surprise. With weird names and lackadaisical Shell and CTC staff, 5w-30 and some sort of Euro and Pennzoil are good enough, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back