✨HPL Results✨: Did 3,000mi make a Difference?

That seems to be the claim, yes. I'd love to see somebody who doesn't have a relationship with BG (this guy obviously does) run the product though.
Kinda hard to find that, unfortunately, as this was only available to shops/dealerships who stocked BG products until just recently. However, this is now the second video I’ve seen of it performing really well. I think it’s probably the best “chemical” cleaner on the market. That said, for $300, I’d rather just run HPL. Not sure how much I trust this cleaner/flush oil- it looks like water being poured in.

Kinda hard to find that, unfortunately, as this was only available to shops/dealerships who stocked BG products until just recently. However, this is now the second video I’ve seen of it performing really well. I think it’s probably the best “chemical” cleaner on the market. That said, for $300, I’d rather just run HPL. Not sure how much I trust this cleaner/flush oil- it looks like water being poured in.
Hence my listing the three options ;)

@RDY4WAR hm it's intriguing, but not sure if I want to spend $80+ on the HDMI; plus another $15 on the HPL EC. This is essentially just to make the engine look cleaner. Yes, there is some harsh varnish and we're all OCD about our engines, but realistically it's fine...((now unless it can solve the oil consumption issues.))

Not sure if someone mentioned it or not but they will substitute one quart of oil for the EC at no charge. It's in one of the threads started by HPL I believe. You just have to request it and whether you want the 30 or 40 weight cleaner.

Reread the previous post where I said I found improvements in other cars with Seafoam.

I was recommended by this site and users to try this product and it didn't work. Now I'm being informed that I need to spend x3-x4 the amount and try more products. I understand why you're wanting to get defensive since there's a sponsorship. This thread was no attempt to bash HPL but instead simply an unbiased review of the EC.
I'm no Seafoam fanboi but Seafoam has a number of users with the VW W8 engine that ran a can to unstick the cam adjusters with success. I had the issue, ran a can of Seafoam...and it was gone. Who knows. Could be 100% conincidence but I'm not the only one. I'm thinking it's not going to be a great de-varnisher/cleaner as has been mentioned. The HPL EC is really meant as a starting point to run their oils that have cleaning properties based on their base (ester/AN) so the HPL could help out over time. I always recommend the Liquimoly Engine Flush as something to try as well and no, it's not a risk as is often portrayed on BITOG.

Last edited:
Do you want to clean it up or are you OK with how it sits and its level of oil consumption?

I ask because there are three routes available, two of them have been discussed, I believe the 3rd one has been touched-on, and as you progress from route 1 through to 3, the rate at which potential cleaning takes place increases, along with the level of risk.

These are as follows:
1. The EC, which you used. This is an extremely gentle product blended with esters and AN's to provide slow, safe cleaning. This is extremely low risk.
2. The HPL Oil, which you have not used. This is less gentle and will clean more aggressively. This requires vigilance with your filter, or it can load up and plug.
3. A dedicated chemical flush product, which leverages a solvent, of which there are many on the market. These are capable of rapid cleaning, but with that comes much higher risk of something going sideways, which is why they are generally not recommended on here.

On #3, there is a TON of marketing material out there, some of it masquerading as independent shop testing, for a variety of different brands with some pretty wild claims. Solvents aren't lubricants (Seafoam contains a mild solvent that flashes off rapidly, which is why it has low effectiveness) and so the risk of using one should be relatively obvious. They can however, rapidly remove deposits. Picture a Parts Washer in your engine.

I recently had the following video shared with me via DM. The discussion was about the credibility of many of these claims and the various inconsistencies, which, if you are an astute listener, will pick-up on when watching the video:

It does however cause one to raise an eyebrow as to the potential effectiveness, even if there is obvious risk to the process. For somebody not satisfies with a slow, progressive clean, I could see how this could garner some interest, particular if the engine is in not great condition.

Where does using a product like M1 0w-40 FS (or perhaps their 0w-40/5w-30 ESP line) fit in that list? I'm guessing either before 1, or between 1 and 2.

I've been using the Havoline Petroleum Lubricant (HPL) for a while now in a 6 quart box from Walmart. The entire box is only $26. Don't pay $17 a quart for the same product. Information is a consumer's friend.
According to this, multiple brands/products are available under "HPL" and they are all the same? I don't care personally, but High Performance Lubricants seems to be well respected around here and they might not appreciate this.
Maybe this is a joke that desperately needs the elusive sarcasm font? 🤷‍♂️ 🤣

Back