HPL Euro 0w20: run it in a BMW B48, or in 2014 Accord?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have asked HPL three times over the past few weeks, with no response. So, I thought I'd ask the group.

I bought the HPL Euro 0w20 to put in my Mini JCW engine (a BMW B48), but, with no response from HPL that this is acceptable to be used in this engine, I'm thinking of just putting it in an Accord that has over 100,000 miles on it. I know it's sufficient for the Accord engine. Anyone have a recommendation to put it in the B48? Thanks.

I would imagine that BMW LL-01 or LL-04 approvals are recommended for your B48. I service an '09 base model MINI and use LL-01. Assuming yours is a newer model, LL-04 would probably be the recommendation.

I have asked HPL three times over the past few weeks, with no response. So, I thought I'd ask the group.

I bought the HPL Euro 0w20 to put in my Mini JCW engine (a BMW B48), but, with no response from HPL that this is acceptable to be used in this engine, I'm thinking of just putting it in an Accord that has over 100,000 miles on it. I know it's sufficient for the Accord engine. Anyone have a recommendation to put it in the B48? Thanks.
Question...will you buy HPL products again?

If I'd had the lack of response that you've had from a manufacturer, that would be all provocation I need to buy a different oil.

With all of the great oils on the market today, I'd pick another brand and never look back.

Ed

Titan,
I do not have any PM’s or communication through our website. How did you contact us? Feel free to PM me at any time and I will absolutely get back with you. What year is your Mini?

David

If I'd had the lack of response that you've had from a manufacturer, that would be all provocation I need to buy a different oil.

With all of the great oils on the market today, I'd pick another brand and never look back.

Ed
Question - if you were proven wrong, would you retract your statement?

David at HPL has been incredibly responsive and helpful to every single person on this board who has reached out. Myself included.

The fact that he responded in this thread, and offered his help, as soon as he was made aware of the problem, only ten minutes after your post, shows an extraordinary level of commitment to customer satisfaction - not found in any other oil company you could name.

So, still feel the same? Still standing by your statement?

Ed
Based upon the response I've received, I will have no hesitancy to buy HPL products in the future. I only used one method of contact that was provided...if I were in an urgent situation, I could have used the phone number on the site, but, I never did as I wasn't yet about to crawl under a car. David found my 3 inquiries, explained what happened, and provided contact information via direct messaging if I wanted a personal phone call conversation, as well as answered the question.

I don't see how the response to a simple communication glitch could have been better.

Neither?

No B48 equipped BMW or Mini manual I came across so far didn't
mention exclusively LL-14 FE+ or LL-17 FE+.* Actually they all also
allowed for LL-04 or even LL-01 (non-GPF). Both latter approvals are
either 5W-30 or 5W-40. I'd run 5W-30 LL-04 on any B48 and I'd use
a true approval only.

BMW B48 - technically suitable engine oils.jpg

No Honda dude but I'd guess similar grade would better better suit
to your Accord with over than 100,000 miles.

*I could be wrong for NA region in particular due to previously increased sulphur fuel.

Last edited:
Question - if you were proven wrong, would you retract your statement?

David at HPL has been incredibly responsive and helpful to every single person on this board who has reached out. Myself included.

The fact that he responded in this thread, and offered his help, as soon as he was made aware of the problem, only ten minutes after your post, shows an extraordinary level of commitment to customer satisfaction - not found in any other oil company you could name.

So, still feel the same? Still standing by your statement?
Yep. I have no hesitation.

David replied because BITOG is one of the larger target audiences for HPL products, and that's just plain smart marketing to do so.

When the OP says..."I have asked HPL three times over the past few weeks"... and he has to ask an outside source for their feedback, I am not impressed with HPL customer service.

Ed

Not going to argue with a blender/maker, but for what it's worth, I've always used x-40 in wife's turbo mini as well as all forced induction German cars I've owned. That choice has served me well for the last 50k miles on the Mini, and I don't think the N18 in that car sees vacuum for more than 5 seconds from the time she starts it to the time she shuts it off in temperature ranging from -20* f to 95* f . It's full send all the time.

Car now has 120k miles on it and I haven't touched it besides regular maintenance.

David replied because BITOG is one of the larger target audiences for HPL products, and that's just plain smart marketing to do so.

When the OP says..."I have asked HPL three times over the past few weeks"... and he has to ask an outside source for their feedback, I am not impressed with HPL customer service.

Ed
A little harsh, don't you think???

While HPL offers many forms of communication, op decided to only use one. The algorithms of mail servers these days sucks and I am sure that HPL gets so much junk mail it gets difficult to sort through it sometimes.

Show me a company with 0 correspondence complaints, I'll show you a bot farm they pay handsomely for.

What matters is was the issue was rectified?? Is the customer happy with the result??

In this case, YES AND YES. I'd be happy with that.

Not going to argue with a blender/maker, but for what it's worth, I've always used x-40 in wife's turbo mini as well as all forced induction German cars I've owned. That choice has served me well for the last 50k miles on the Mini, and I don't think the N18 in that car sees vacuum for more than 5 seconds from the time she starts it to the time she shuts it off in temperature ranging from -20* f to 95* f . It's full send all the time.

Car now has 120k miles on it and I haven't touched it besides regular maintenance.
I would share your opinion. The OEM recommends a 0w20. I am not a huge fan of light oils and don’t disagree for a minute that something heavier would be a good choice.

David

Ed
Then, you are clearly wrong.

This wasn’t Dave not responding.

This was the message getting caught in a spam folder.

The CEO of the company responded in minutes, and offered his personal cell number, to a customer with a question.

Good luck getting that level of service and customer care from any other oil company on this planet.

Ed
Tough crowd. I get that you have high standards for responsiveness (and in today's day/age, understandably so), but it sounds like the situation was due to e-mail software related issues that were outside of both parties' control.

I would share your opinion. The OEM recommends a 0w20. I am not a huge fan of light oils and don’t disagree for a minute that something heavier would be a good choice.

David
LL01 or LL04. HPL has an equivalent, and I would always go that route.
B generation of BMW engines can run anything, and depending on the market they are recommended from LL01 to LL17FE.

As for responses, Dave always responded and provided his cell number. Next spring, I am changing all fluids in the drivetrain and will jump to HPL.

LL01 or LL04. HPL has an equivalent, and I would always go that route.
B generation of BMW engines can run anything, and depending on the market they are recommended from LL01 to LL17FE.

As for responses, Dave always responded and provided his cell number. Next spring, I am changing all fluids in the drivetrain and will jump to HPL.
I would agree. The OEM recommends a 0w20. The OP had already made his purchase. That oil fits the need. As an upgrade should he choose, the “Overkill 0w20” is a good logical choice should he want to stay with the OEM recommended viscosity. As others have stated I would not hesitate to go up in viscosity in the least.

I appreciate the kind words. We do try hard to do the right thing. I don’t respond to agitators. There is no point.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back