HPL Euro 0w20: run it in a BMW B48, or in 2014 Accord?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Bad" customer service is in the eye of the beholder, not the group here/anyone else's experience. He didn't recieve a response therefore, he thought that was bad CS. Easy to understand to me...I would have called and not taken issue with it but this isn't about me, it's about his experience and the group think here/"feel" was that of "don't worry about it/not a big deal/you should have called/etc."...
@TiGeo - you’re missing the point. The guy who had the interaction is now satisfied. He’s the one to judge.

Another guy, who’s never dealt with HPL, jumps on the forum and bashes HPL on the basis of the first guy‘s initial post.

That second guy had no basis for judgement. And given the responses in the thread, the second guy, who hasn’t ever talked with HPL, ordered from HPL, that guy is wrong.

That second guy is the one with whom everyone is taking issue.

Important difference.

I have asked HPL three times over the past few weeks, with no response. So, I thought I'd ask the group.

I bought the HPL Euro 0w20 to put in my Mini JCW engine (a BMW B48), but, with no response from HPL that this is acceptable to be used in this engine, I'm thinking of just putting it in an Accord that has over 100,000 miles on it. I know it's sufficient for the Accord engine. Anyone have a recommendation to put it in the B48? Thanks.
Based upon the response I've received, I will have no hesitancy to buy HPL products in the future. I only used one method of contact that was provided...if I were in an urgent situation, I could have used the phone number on the site, but, I never did as I wasn't yet about to crawl under a car. David found my 3 inquiries, explained what happened, and provided contact information via direct messaging if I wanted a personal phone call conversation, as well as answered the question.

I don't see how the response to a simple communication glitch could have been better.
@TiGeo the above are the posts by the OP. Nobody is taking issue with these posts.

Question...will you buy HPL products again?

If I'd had the lack of response that you've had from a manufacturer, that would be all provocation I need to buy a different oil.

With all of the great oils on the market today, I'd pick another brand and never look back.

Ed
Yep. I have no hesitation.

David replied because BITOG is one of the larger target audiences for HPL products, and that's just plain smart marketing to do so.

When the OP says..."I have asked HPL three times over the past few weeks"... and he has to ask an outside source for their feedback, I am not impressed with HPL customer service.

Ed
These two, from somebody who is not an HPL customer, are the ones being criticized as unreasonable.

HPL, start checking your Spam folder every once in a while so this doesn't happen too often. It has and/or will happen to us all.

HPL apparently is a an excellent company all things considered, productwise and with customer service.

Both things can be true.

Last edited:
Back to motor oil. It is an interesting premise, whether or not to use spec'd/certified oil in a Mini.

There is the dreaded LL-17FE. My limited, anecdotal information is that the likelihood of a warranty claim on a Mini is kind of high.

Hmmmm. HPL Euro 0W20 ("OVERKILL") gets my vote. Or Euro 0W30.

Back to motor oil. It is an interesting premise, whether or not to use spec'd/certified oil in a Mini.

There is the dreaded LL-17FE. My limited, anecdotal information is that the likelihood of a warranty claim on a Mini is kind of high.

Hmmmm. HPL Euro 0W20 ("OVERKILL") gets my vote. Or Euro 0W30.
Yes but of that "kind of high" likelihood what is the likelihood that it would be both 1) lubrication related and 2) they would ask for the details of each oil change? I'd just use the HPL 0W20 equivalent.

Yes but of that "kind of high" likelihood what is the likelihood that it would be both 1) lubrication related and 2) they would ask for the details of each oil change? I'd just use the HPL 0W20 equivalent.
B48 has a higher chance of LSPI then the previous N20. However, it is FAAAAR better engine in every other aspect. There were some instances of LSPI, but I am not sure current BMW approvals have LSPI test. I would go here with whatever HPL has that is also MB229.52 equivalent.
Warranty complaints are usually related to losing coolant. And for the God's sake, no one knows where that coolant is going, seriously. B46/48 and B58 have two coolant systems, and it has been chase to figure out the reason since 2016.
Another issue was bad batch of oil filters who were getting glued into oil filter housing for whatever reason. Real PITA to change OFH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back