How your driving style ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im driving slow ;(, and I feel bad for who ever behind me at the redline, cause i moving slow
grin.gif

and on my camaro or mustang, im hauling [censored] though all the gear.

and I note when im driving my jeep, peoples like to cut in front of me, but when im driving my camaro, i never have any one cut in front of me, they mostly move on the right lane.

when rains, im driving slow no matter what car im in. mostly stay on right lane.

so my driving style is depend on what car im in
smile.gif
and what condition of the road. What your ?

I dirve for economy and longevity, coupled with safety, in every car I have. It works. i dont need to prove to myself that I have a fast car every time I drive, all it does is waste gas. I care about optimized lifecycle cost in a vehicle that I enjoy owning and driving.

95% of the time...slow..55mph (90km/hr). For the regular distances I go it makes zero sense to go faster, it just eats more fuel for 1-4 minutes earlier arrival time. They have had many illustrations where people played cat-n-mouse style commuting in the city on on short freeway stints and the lane games just add stress, yield poorer fuel economy and save you little to no time compared to the easy going approach.

& If you don't like how slow I drive, its your problem, take a breath and go around. I am as calm and cool as a cucumber, you can get as worked up you want, it won't affect me.

On a long trip like ~375miles (600km) going just a touch over the limit 73mph(118km/hr) cuts more than 1 full hour off the trip, which is huge, so I have no problem with that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RedCorvette
Oh so you're the one who holds everyone else up

It doesnt mean necessarily slow steady-state speed. Most cannot comprehend the difference though, thus so many AT drivers mashing the go pedal.

I definitely drive slower than I used to (i.e. closer to the speed limit). I learned to drive in Houston where outside the residential areas you could usually do 20-30 over - lol. I remember one time I tried an experiment of getting in the right lane and doing the speed limit. I was flipped off 5 times and cut-off about a dozen in a thirty minute trip. For my safety, I went back to driving 80 from them on
wink.gif

I normally drive with the flow of the traffic, if I-295 is doing 75 i do 75, if it is empty i do 65. Speed limit is 65 after all, NJ has not thought about rasing the limits to 75 or even 70. When i merge onto the interstate system, i sometimes blast upto the speed limit when on the ramp, if there is room and i know the ramp topogrophy (some ramps have kinks in em that prevents this) Other times i do a leisurely acel upto 65.

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
MetalSlug,

I'm the guy up your a$$ when your driving that slow...you [censored] me off...get out of my way :)

haha dude move to the left land then
11.gif

btw I do note myself more careful and follow speed limit. after second wreck i have when im 20. Havent have any ticket for 5 years, knock on wood :), their is time to speed, their is time to slow down, open road yes, traffic city driving NEVER.

This topic came up a little bit ago here at work. I accelerate normal from a stop, coast when it doesn't cause drastic slow downs. On the highway if it's open then my car will see a few random bursts up to 100.....

And early turn signals are a must when I drive and people are behind me.

A few years ago I was going the speed limit with my 4 month old in the back. Some guy going 90 slammed into the back of us.

A few years before that I saw a huge accident up ahead (pileup) while driving on an icy highway one night. I pulled over (no getting by anyway) onto the shoulder and put my hazards on. The next 2 cars speeding on the ice spun out and slammed into me.

Now I drive fast and reckless. No issues.

I tend to follow the rule of "go as fast as you can up to the speed limit, then drive the speed limit". I love the feel of the acceleration! Specifically, here in Texas we have some pretty high speed limits on the highways (75-80mph). When I'm on the highway and in my 70 Lincoln MK III, I find myself actually going about 65 or so. From the feel of the gas pedal, rpm, it seems real happy at that speed. I can go faster but I have to press the gas more beyond it's "happy" point.

My big pet peeve is the folks that go slow in the left lane and don't move over. Here in Texas there are huge signs all along the highways that say left lane is for passing only, and trucks are banned from the far left lane on the 6 lane highways. And Texas Highway patrol does give out tickets to folks that don't move over. I've not found this to be true in other states.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I dirve for economy and longevity, coupled with safety, in every car I have. It works. i dont need to prove to myself that I have a fast car every time I drive, all it does is waste gas. I care about optimized lifecycle cost in a vehicle that I enjoy owning and driving.

Me too, pretty much to the letter. And I actually enjoy my cars more when driving them this way. I like to feel the mechanical movements of the car, of the suspension, of the tires on the road. I like to feel the harmony of everything working in concert together. If I'm driving faster than everyone else, I can't enjoy those aspects of the car because I'm too concentrated on performing some Dale Earnhardt move.

How can anyone average 25 mpg in a 3500 lb AWD SUV in their rush hour commute? By taking the "rush" out of "rush hour". It's such an obvious win-win, I think it gets overlooked a lot.

Defensively, I have a 70mile daily commute through L.I and into NYC. I see and deal with all kinds, what I like to call "Mini Van Makeup Maniacs" are the worst. Soccer moms are a close second.

I've had my car for eight years now. 01 celica gt. I was 19 when I first got it in 2004 with 42k miles, it now has 83k. For the first six years, I've always followed the fastest car on the freeway. Now for the past two, I've been sitting at 65 or so on the middle or right side almost all of the time. However, all the while I still touch redline when merging into faster traffic from exits or toll booths.

But I live in Philly and do 65% of the driving time in the city, I've been creeping from stops at no more than 2k or 2.5k, and even lazier in winter.

I take it easy 90% of the time and cruise just at the speed limit. Just a regular looking commuter. I don't get a thrill of cruising way above the speed limit. I take the occasional rip up to certain speeds I won't talk about. I drive to the vehicle I'm in and situation and sometimes mood. Usually I don't slow for corners even though tires, wheel bearings and passengers wear out faster. If it's snowy out I will always break loose front or rear ends every single time I drive. That may be at 5km or more and on my own long driveway I just enjoy the sensation. I don't hyper mile or get too involved in every last penny, as life just seems to short to put huge thought in those arena's. In my turbo car I may roast the tires at a stop or drift a nice corner but only when things are aligned for such events. Regular joe 90% Hoon 10%. Now if you catch me on my motocross bike, atv, or mountain bike I hoon 101% of the time. Even the people I ride with who hoon make comments on my overhoonyness. I even take RC cars off jumps at full tilt just to see what they will do, and donuts until rocks are flying towards me. We all like to live a bit vicariously through other means...

Smokescreen said:
95% of the time...slow..55mph (90km/hr). For the regular distances I go it makes zero sense to go faster, it just eats more fuel for 1-4 minutes earlier arrival time. They have had many illustrations where people played cat-n-mouse style commuting in the city on on short freeway stints and the lane games just add stress, yield poorer fuel economy and save you little to no time compared to the easy going approach.

So true, I remember as a youth trying to get places as fast as I could doing stupid things. I suppose I learned how to handle a car to it's limits but I never did the math. In town simply leaving for someplace literally 3-6 minutes earlier can make up for trying to go 50% faster than the speed limit, trying to make a light, lane changing to get 1 car more ahead etc. A lot of the times you get places and realize you didn't have to be an idiot as you still have time to do whatever it was you thought was live and death. I like the street and moto track or an off-road vehicle. There are no speed limits at the track, and in the woods and mountains you can drive like a fool and fill your boots. It's funny how calm and serene driving a car can feel after a few hours at the motocross track....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back