What's considered an old car?

Something that when you see it you say, whoa I haven't seen one of those in a while!

My kid wondered what a 1989 Oldsmobile 88 was. He thought it looked cool. FWD brick with the 3.8.
Back in 2015 or so when I worked for the emissions testing place a guy brought in a Chevy Baretta. It was mint and looked like he'd shrink wrapped it and put it in a climate controlled room. I mentioned to a co-worker that I haven't seen a Chevy Baretta in literally 10-15 years. They just disappeared overnight. The Honda crx was like that too. Everywhere then gone.

Around here on some of the construction sites I work at, if you were to close your eyes, spin around a few times and start walking blindly there is a 50% chance you run into a rusty 99-07 gm truck.
So true! A few years ago, we did some work at the high school in one of the ritzy suburbs. It was a remarkable difference; the average age of the cars in the student lot vs. the average age of the cars in the contractor's lot. Apparently the kids in that town don't like to be seen driving old beaters.

Recently the belt tensioner went out on my '92 Saturn. My wife asks if I'm going to finally park it. I'm like - Heck no, it only costs $30 to fix. An hour later (had to pull wheel, remove inner fender, etc) the old Saturn is back on the road with it's ice-cold AC.
Those tensioners were common, I replaced mine more than once. Great car, I kept my 92 SL2 for 20 years, got it new.

Here in Norway when a car turns 30 years old it`s considered a "veteran", you can have cheaper annual tax and lower insurance premium. To me 20 or more years is "old", as my Volvo in the pic...

Depends on who you ask, just like what is considered an old person, old dog, old computer, etc.

For me if my mechanics, body shop, smog check refuse to work on it then it is old.

83 but doesn't seem old to me, lot of thumbs up when driving. :D
1705615677369.jpg

60s a before. Maybe 70s. ~50ish yrs and older.

I run a 99 T800 at work. It's the "old" truck. To me it's the perfect age of not falling apart, still can work on it and not 20 gazillion electronic things always going wacky.

Generally anything with a distributor and rotor ignition is old, IMO. You won't find many auto technicians willing and (more importantly) able to wrench on something like that. My 2006 Tacoma is dang near old, but it has only needed 2 parts replaced in 15 years (AC condenser and water pump). It runs perfect, does everything I need and I love it 100%.

I think there are actually two definitions.

Old car can mean a classic car, like something from the 1980s,1990s, 1960s, etc, but these days it can also mean a car that is just out of warranty as newer cars are turning into disposable items like computers.

No such thing I guess as an old car. Just look at the prices even 60 year old cars cost as much as a new ones now.

Guess in mainstream opinion it is 2007 or so now? Don't know to be honest. Think it depends on the actual vehicle now more than the year. For instance, my 04' RL compared to a same year BMW E60 will make the E60 seem a lot newer to many people just due to the design philosophy of the 2 cars. Kinda think this is due to the apparent speed up of everyone's perception of time. Fast world now no matter the age of the person in it.

I say anything over 15 years or 175k and had been parked mostly outside is candidate for being classified as old. My 2002 Fit still look pretty good and parked outside with almost 180k miles. The exterior appearance is average but the interior is in great condition. It has lived an easy life of mostly highway driving on Mobil 1 0W20 the first 10 years/150k miles and now Costco 0W20, both in 6k-10k OCI depending on the time, convenience, or if I have a trip lasting over 1k and had already exceed 6k/8 months. Filter has been mostly Mobil 1 or the most expensive Fram. This vehicle was used for long commute of 130 miles round trip the first 6-7 years but now the commute is only 17 miles round trip. It does get a nice 150 miles round trip on Saturday for outing so the battery, oil, and atf doesn’t go bad sitting.

It is now our everything car as my Accord is 22 years old with over 200k and is used mostly locally until I get the timing belt and water pump replaced (10k miles or 2 years from now). The Accord is definitely old and had lived a rough life with small fender benders and even being backed into by a truck so the hood is pushed up. But it is mechanical sound with same OCI.

Both vehicle get their ATF changed 10k for first change and 30k OCI regardless of miles and ATF filter changed at 10 year mark.

So I definitely don’t consider my Fit old and still remember the day I brought her home with 0.5 mile on the odometer. The Accord is definitely old by any standard but I hope it hold up another 2-3 years, aka passing state inspection, before I need to put timing belt and water pump in.

Until card prices stabilize, I am sticking with my two a Honda’s, which I can do ATF change on quickly and easier than oil change thanks to dip stick. I abhor the current crops of vehicle with no ATF dipstick. And any future car for me has to have timing chain because I don’t want to be out in the predicament of deciding if it is wise to spend more on routine maintenance than the value of the vehicle every 10 years.

To me it's not about age but rather condition the car is in.
Both Kias we have are 10 y.o. now but to me they have same value as when they were brand new. They look same, they do same thing. I don't miss mostly useless modern junk they install in cars now, e.g. stop/start, lane assist, other junk. Actually, Forte got a 9 inch Android head unit with dash cam, rear view cam, wireless Carplay and Android Auto just before Christmas, so it added modern look and functionality.... Lol ... It was time to take Garmin and stand alone dash cam off.

For me, a Honda that still has ATF dipstick owned by a somebody with common sense to stay in too of maintenance is more valuable than those vehicles that are hard to maintain. So I wouldn’t own a European vehicle no matter how much I would love having a BMW or Mercedes. To me, they are finicky toys and I would buy a used Lexus or Acura and put some money aside for major repairs that may never come than be a slave to a garage queen from Europe.

Back