What's considered an old car?

10+ yrs? 20+? Someone in another thread mentioned that that never seen any old cars in their area.

5 minutes later I was sitting at a red light and took this pic

What year is that Honda in front of me? It's missing paint.I assume it's 10+ yrs old.

The grand Cherokee in front of it has to be about 20 yrs old . There was an old style dodge truck behind me. Pre 2002iirc.

And im in my 2002 wrangler.

What's considered old?

Attachments

• IMG_20240116_121605774_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240116_121605774_HDR.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 162
I just realised that my car is now 11-12 years old..
2013 wasn't THAT long ago was it?
Something that when you see it you say, whoa I haven't seen one of those in a while!

My kid wondered what a 1989 Oldsmobile 88 was. He thought it looked cool. FWD brick with the 3.8.
My First Car was My Grandpa's 87 Olds 98..same car basically...

Great question. Some cars have a strong Constitution and with proper care and respect will last a very long time. Some can get handed down to the next generation. With neglect they will fail very quickly and become useless, perhaps even dangerous.

Depends on the owners.

It depends who you ask, too many variables and agendas. For me, where I live, 17 years or 300k Kms, is where I draw the line.

There is no set definition. Some age gracefully; others not so much (like people). A vehicle that has 15+ years of freeway miles can run like new with 200k on the clock. While a car in the rust belt will experience the exact opposite.

Cars in Arizona generally don't have issues with rust and corrosion so it's the ideal environment for collectors. The rate of decay varies based on location, maintenance, usage and vehicle design.

If you look at the parking lot at my work, anything over 10 years old is really old. I easily drive the oldest cars of my colleagues, whether it's my 99 Civic or my 83 Land Cruiser.

All of our cars are 12 years old or older, but I think anything over 20 years old is a good run for a vehicle, so I would consider that old.

Depends on vehicle reliability, parts availability, maintenance history, mileage, make and model. I recently sold a 24 year-old Nissan Maxima that I considered to be old. Quality parts availability became a strong consideration in the decision to sell. I kept ownership costs low over the years with DIY routine service and repair.

To me it's not about age but rather condition the car is in.
Both Kias we have are 10 y.o. now but to me they have same value as when they were brand new. They look same, they do same thing. I don't miss mostly useless modern junk they install in cars now, e.g. stop/start, lane assist, other junk. Actually, Forte got a 9 inch Android head unit with dash cam, rear view cam, wireless Carplay and Android Auto just before Christmas, so it added modern look and functionality.... Lol ... It was time to take Garmin and stand alone dash cam off.

Back