Couple of Driver Behaviours

Saw this a couple of months ago. Occurred where two highways merge together, three lanes of traffic from each highway forming six lanes of traffic. There is a car in the leftmost (or second leftmost) lane switching lanes working its way to the right. There is an exit coming up on the right, so I figure he needs to exit and that is why he is trying so hard to get to the right lane as soon as he can. He is cutting in in front of other drivers causing them to brake. Exit comes and he doesn't take it! He just wanted to move into the rightmost lane and instead of just keeping on driving and changing lanes when an opening in traffic enables him to change lanes safely, he was fixated on getting to the right lane immediately, whatever it took.

The other behaviour is applying the brakes for no apparent reason. I see drivers on level roads, in free flowing light traffic, very briefly tap their brakes, leaving me perplexed as to why they did that. Almost as if they were ensuring that the brake pedal had not fallen off.

The other behaviour is applying the brakes for no apparent reason. I see drivers on level roads, in free flowing light traffic, very briefly tap their brakes, leaving me perplexed as to why they did that. Almost as if they were ensuring that the brake pedal had not fallen off.
Maybe to disengage the cruise control. Sure beats learning what all the control buttons do!

The ones that drive me nuts are those that come in from a ramp, immediately cutting off 2 or 3 cars as they desperately claw their way directly to the left lane, only to block it driving 10-15 mph less than other traffic. More often than not in a Toyota. 😳

“Left lane campers” are my biggest complaint while traveling down the interstate. I encountered plenty through Tennessee and Virginia this last week. 🙄
I can’t stand people who come to a complete stop behind the line on green, then stay put on yellow, then red. Have only seen this behavior in PA.

There's way too many to list. After getting my CDL last year and now driving a school bus every day in a suburban NYC area, my biggest pet peeve is drivers stopping over the white line at a red light. Most aren't stopping short for a fast light, they're just going over it for no reason other than a lack of awareness or disregard.

Last week in my personal car, I watched somebody slowly crawl over the line at a busy intersection. A city bus then had to make the right turn. The person backs up to let them in and then goes over the line again after the turn is made. Maybe 20 seconds later, a truck comes and the process is repeated over again. Mindless stupidity.

Is there any reason anyone can possibly think of, as to why in Phila metro:

1. People do not alternate merge
2. People do not use the merge lane, but try to enter traffic at a 30-70 degree angle
3. Stop behind the line on solid green, let the light turn yellow, then red. Then they will turn when they get a green arrow the next cycle
4. No matter how steep a grade is, wheels are pointed straight ahead
5. Won't turn left on red when legal

I already know why turn signals are not used, that was explained to me when I moved here in 1999.

There's way too many to list. After getting my CDL last year and now driving a school bus every day in a suburban NYC area, my biggest pet peeve is drivers stopping over the white line at a red light. Most aren't stopping short for a fast light, they're just going over it for no reason other than a lack of awareness or disregard.

Last week in my personal car, I watched somebody slowly crawl over the line at a busy intersection. A city bus then had to make the right turn. The person backs up to let them in and then goes over the line again after the turn is made. Maybe 20 seconds later, a truck comes and the process is repeated over again. Mindless stupidity.
I have my sneaking suspicion on why that is. In NYC, every mm and every second counts.

We were there with our friends from LA on President's Day once, in the Roosevelt Island subway. There is a really, really, long escalator down. The entire station was empty, it was a holiday and a weekday.

LA is the 2nd largest city in the USA, so our friends are not country bumpkins. But since there was nobody in the station going down, they were standing on the left, not the right. So some guy goes, "Oh, she ain't gonna move over, forget it." To his wife, he had his son with him.

I turned around and looked at the guy, and said, "She'd probably move over if you asked politely."

Guy goes, "I don't give a f*** what you have to say so shut the f*** up."

This was over 10 years ago so at that time, I would have been willing to have a fist fight. I have on the NYC subway multiple times.

So our friends move to the right, and they pass us. I can't leave well enough alone, the platform was empty but I stood right next to them.

By the way, the man had maybe a 7-9 yo son, and he uses that language.

So again, imho it's NYC. We've all heard of the bystander effect, right? What was the woman's name, Kitty Genovese? Well when I was assaulted and it was 4:1 on the subway, you shoulda seen how many just stood around and watched. Including the MTA employees (pretty sure cowardly is part of their interview, they get bonus points for it).

Now, the above folks are going to get in cars and drive. jmoymmv

Some will apply their brakes every so often, say every 30 secs. Perhaps they feel they would go over the speed limit unless the brakes are applied to keep speed in check.
I call them 2 footed drivers. They have a foot on the gas and a foot on the brakes.

There's way too many to list. After getting my CDL last year and now driving a school bus every day in a suburban NYC area, my biggest pet peeve is drivers stopping over the white line at a red light.

Sometimes they'll stop so far past the white line they're not on the sensor anymore, and the light doesn't change till another vehicle arrives behind them. Amazingly, I've never seen one of these drivers ever figure out why the light isn't changing and back up to fix it.

3. Stop behind the line on solid green, let the light turn yellow, then red. Then they will turn when they get a green arrow the next cycle

They do the same thing in Virginia. On the off chance they pulled into the intersection, half of 'em will back up when the light turns yellow.

Sometimes they'll stop so far past the white line they're not on the sensor anymore, and the light doesn't change till another vehicle arrives behind them. Amazingly, I've never seen one of these drivers ever figure out why the light isn't changing and back up to fix it.
We get exactly the opposite. They hang back a car length or more from the stop line and never trigger the sensor. I've had to walk up a line of cars to tell them to move onto the sensor so we can all go through the intersection. So many clueless drivers out there.

Back