Couple of Driver Behaviours

That is a very PA thing.
experienced the opposite yesterday, where someone on a solid green, comes to a complete stop, to let someone else turn left across them. Why this is absolutely moronic? Both that car, and myself, got stuck at a red light that is really long. There's a such thing as protocol. Imagine if data on the internet had feelings, and "do good" packets did whatever they wanted to do. Very inefficient and likely failures. Also never seen it except in PA.

experienced the opposite yesterday, where someone on a solid green, comes to a complete stop, to let someone else turn left across them. Why this is absolutely moronic? Both that car, and myself, got stuck at a red light that is really long. There's a such thing as protocol. Imagine if data on the internet had feelings, and "do good" packets did whatever they wanted to do. Very inefficient and likely failures. Also never seen it except in PA.

Years ago I was turning left onto a 4-way divided road. I was at a stop sign. One of the drivers on the 4-way divided road stopped and waved me though. Nice thought, but there's 3 more lanes of traffic that aren't going to stop for me just because she did. This happened in Virginia.

“Left lane campers” are my biggest complaint while traveling down the interstate. I encountered plenty through Tennessee and Virginia this last week. 🙄
Coming back from TX on Tuesday, there were 2 5th wheel campers being pulled and driving like 72-74mph in a 75mph camping the left lane. Even as people passed them, they wouldn't move over. Friggin ridiculous.

[QUOTE="I Coming back from TX on Tuesday, there were 2 5th wheel campers being pulled and driving like 72-74mph in a 75mph camping the left lane. Even as people passed them, they wouldn't move over. Friggin ridiculous.
[/QUOTE]
That sounds like baby boomers at Canadian Tire blocking the isles with their shopping carts. Totally oblivious to what’s going on around them. They all get up at 7am and drive around under the speed limit just to make everyone late for work.

The ones that drive me nuts are those that come in from a ramp, immediately cutting off 2 or 3 cars as they desperately claw their way directly to the left lane, only to block it driving 10-15 mph less than other traffic. More often than not in a Toyota. 😳
Not by my personal observation from having recently taken several long interstate road trips.
Not counting 18-wheelers (a pet peave of mine), the top left lane hog vehicles that I personally observed were...
1. Full-sized high trim level pickups (all makes)
2. Full-sized high trim level SUVs (Suburbans, Tahoes, Yukons, Escalades, Expeditions, etc... all makes)
3. German luxury vehicles
These were by shear numbers. Toyotas are represented in 1 & 2 but are not the predominant make.
By percentage, it was German luxury vehicles #1 hands down, a small number of vehicles that ALL appear to hog the left lane. At least most of them were not going 10-15 mph under the speed limit.

Last edited:
That sounds like baby boomers at Canadian Tire blocking the isles with their shopping carts. Totally oblivious to what’s going on around them. They all get up at 7am and drive around under the speed limit just to make everyone late for work.

I thought that was just here...apparently it is all over Canada.

Not by my personal observation from having recently taken several long interstate road trips.
Not counting 18-wheelers (a pet peave of mine), the top left lane hog vehicles that I personally observed were...
1. Full-sized high trim level pickups (all makes)
2. Full-sized high trim level SUVs (Suburbans, Tahoes, Yukons, Escalades, Expeditions, etc... all makes)
3. German luxury vehicles
These were by shear numbers.
By percentage, it was German luxury vehicles #1 hands down, a small number of vehicles that ALL appear to hog the left lane. At least most of them were not going 10-15 mph under the speed limit.
Here the German cars hog the left lane but they're also going well over 80 so it doesn't matter

And I like semi trucks here, they stay in the right lane and go a steady speed

See these terrible things riding on the interstate with my wife:

People don't seem concerned about driving responsibly - they are just rolling around in a daze.

When major highways merge, people don't move over one lane to the left. Causes major backups always.

Entering the highway at well below highway speeds - can cause accident on the highway and on the on ramp.
You should be merging at or ABOVE the interstate posted speed - yeah you! Gramps and Grammy!

Braking THEN signaling a turn. Nope, U Got it backwards !

The inattentive phone gazers driving over the lane lines and also driving in peoples blind spot.

Near my house, there are folks going way under the posted speed limit on the only one lane, major east-west highway.
Drive at the limit or 5 over. NO? take the back road then!

Hey, I don't want to spend unnecessary time slogging around in my car.

The isle blockesr near me are usually Gen-Xer's who have not learned proper courtesy or manners.
If they are in a fog, I just linebacker my way through if they didn't hear "pardon me" .

Yes, my Parents (b. ~1920's) and my Grandparents (b. ~1890's) were the greatest of recent generations, but at least we were taught and disciplined and hopefully still remember and carry good manners!

That is a very PA thing.
As a dreaded boomer I myself hate the cart blocking thing…but you young wippersnappers with you wife and brood that walk down the store aisle five or more abreast are just as capable aisle blockers.

We have our annoying driving issues…but that at fault texting driver at the next accident you see will likely NOT be a boomer. We can’t drive with our reeding glasses or see the phone without our reading glasses.😉

Years ago I was turning left onto a 4-way divided road. I was at a stop sign. One of the drivers on the 4-way divided road stopped and waved me though. Nice thought, but there's 3 more lanes of traffic that aren't going to stop for me just because she did. This happened in Virginia.
That was probably my wife. We were visiting the air museum in Chantilly 😂

We get exactly the opposite. They hang back a car length or more from the stop line and never trigger the sensor. I've had to walk up a line of cars to tell them to move onto the sensor so we can all go through the intersection. So many clueless drivers out there.

One time I was leaving work, this was well over 10 years ago, and they had exit gates which opened automatically as soon as your vehicle is over the sensor.

2 lanes with exit gates.

Two drivers, side by side, stopped right in front of the sensor, just sitting there, not able to figure out what might be the problem.

I pulled up behind one of them, opened my window, and yelled "YOU HAVE TO MOVE UP!"

Like some kind of moron mind meld, BOTH drivers simultaneously moved up, and the gates opened.

Here the German cars hog the left lane but they're also going well over 80 so it doesn't matter

And I like semi trucks here, they stay in the right lane and go a steady speed
Not on I40. It happens on other interstate highways as well, but I40 stands out in my mind as being the worst. There are a LOT of semis on I40 24/7.
The thing that really gets me mad is when I'm in the left lane travelling at a fairly high rate of speed passing a line of semis in the right lane, one of these numb-scull semi drivers in the middle of the pack will see me coming (or ignore that I am coming) and change lanes right in front of me, then hold-up the left lane for the next 4-5 miles (or more) going 1-2 mph faster than the other semis in the right lane (all of them going at least 5-10 mph under the speed limit).

Last edited:
one of these numb-scull semi drivers in the middle of the pack will see me coming (or ignore that I am coming) and change lanes right in front of me, then hold-up the left lane for the next 4-5 miles (or more) going 1-2 mph faster than the other semis in the right lane (all of them going at least 5-10 mph under the speed limit).

They like doing that on I70 in PA and MD. I70 there has hills and you'll get one semi trying to pass another going uphill, slowing down to 45MPH in the left lane in the process.

They like doing that on I70 in PA and MD. I70 there has hills and you'll get one semi trying to pass another going uphill, slowing down to 45MPH in the left lane in the process.
Usually truck drivers are good drivers…be curious if they’re Swift drivers, a co which has a notoriously bad reputation

While towing my travel trailer, line of traffic entering from the right. I get into the middle lane to give them plenty of room to enter. I'm past them, I signal to get back into the right lane, and I'm seeing a whole bunch of of folks coming from behind me into the right lane just because they are in a huge hurry. Never mind that the left lane is wide open and they could easily pass on the left while my right signal is on. Gee, did it ever occur to you that maybe I'd be only too happy to get out of your way, but since I can't see you directly behind me that suddenly passing me on the right isn't such a good idea when my intention to get into the right lane is obvious?

As a dreaded boomer I myself hate the cart blocking thing…but you young wippersnappers with you wife and brood that walk down the store aisle five or more abreast are just as capable aisle blockers.

We have our annoying driving issues…but that at fault texting driver at the next accident you see will likely NOT be a boomer. We can’t drive with our reeding glasses or see the phone without our reading glasses.😉
Maybe we need a new topic….. Boomers at Costco. Starting with blocking the entrance while they fish for their membership card. Grazing at the food sample tables. Taking up valuable parking space to buy a jug of milk then spending an hour in the food court socializing over a 99 cent hotdog.

Back