How often do you redline your cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wife seems to do it quite often. With no tach and an automatic transmission, it's hard to tell, but it sure feels like it when I'm riding with her. Then again, with only 3 gears and 120 horses, stomping the pedal and leaving it there is the only way to get anything resembling power to come out of that car sometimes.

I rarely do it in my own car, I don't see much of a point with an automatic. It does exhibit an odd behavior that almost resembles VTEC, though the engine certainly doesn't have it, where the exhaust sound completely changes and the car "takes off" (as much as it can for a 4-cylinder) until the next upshift. It does this consistently, and it really does feel/sound like a second cam kicking in, even though I don't have one. Weird.

I don't think I've ever hid redline on my bike. It's a cruiser that makes all its power below 4,000 rpm, but has the rev limiter at 7,200. There's no point to going up that high.

The wife did it once on her bike. She accidentally had her throttle lock engaged and moved the throttle in neutral while she was trying to get something out of her backpack. It hit the limiter, backfired, and cut out. She immediately shut it off and freaked out because she thought she blew up the engine.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Not a day goes by that I don't rev the engine in my 2006 Scion tC to it's 6,200rpm redline. I do this in 1st and 2nd gear whenever possible just to pull away from traffic so I can cruise in peace WAAAY ahead of everyone behind me. 3rd gear sees redline each and every time I merge onto the highway, just to get up to speed. I enjoy every second of it.

110,000 miles on the tC and both me and the wife have been driving it this way since 10,000 miles, when she bought it. Everything is still OEM except for fluids and spark plugs. OEM accessory belt, clutch, etc. I expect 200k out of this car EASY!

So why not rev your engine sky high and enjoy it / life whenever you get a chance? Life is short and I prefer to enjoy mine every chance I get.

Exactly.
If the rev limit was beyond the engines capabilities the manufacturer would lower it.
That means the engine was built to operate at those rpm. Its just that simple.
Now before flooring it all the engine needs is a warm up. So the oil can do what it does and thermal expansion has begun to tighten everything up a bit.
The rev limiter makes this pretty much idiot proof so really its not some huge deal. Especially with low load.
I drove my ram up and through the mountains last year to pick up a car, so the truck got a serious work out. I can honestly say though that was the first time it got hot enough to move the temp gauge from its usual hot position.
That truck was screaming up the mountains in first and second gear. It was winter and I had to leave it in 4wd until we got just outside of Calgary.
Anyways it was icy and going uphill I had the rpm at 5000 for potentially 8 or 9 minutes at a time. And to be honest that truck ran flawlessly,and felt more responsive after that trip.
So to conclude a vehicle has a rev-limiter that the oem sets lower than the rpm required to damage the engine. So stretching the transports legs every so often will do absolutely no harm,on an engine that is in a proper state of tune and no problems. Period
Now if by chance there is something else wrong then I cannot say,I can say flooring it and operating the engine in the upper rpm range will do no harm. Unless it was already broken.

I try to get the Volvo and any other car up to its redline about once every trip, if possible. Same way I try to get the car fully warmed every turn of the key. I also try not to redline it before fully warmed, but sometimes I cheat a little with that, due to wonderful oil flow, etc.

Usually on the highway, or accelerating on to. I believe they call his the Italian Tune-Up.

It works well, the engine stays clean and runs great.

That said, many folks are afraid of really stepping on their car's gas pedal!

My 2006 gets it a few times a week depending on my mood. My Wifes 2004 usually only gets it when I drive it once a week to fill it up for her.

I'm curious if the guys redlining their car every day are the same ones that complain about gas prices? It doesn't hurt anything, but it's not helping either. What's the point if you don't have to?

Originally Posted By: Anduril
The wife seems to do it quite often. With no tach and an automatic transmission, it's hard to tell, but it sure feels like it when I'm riding with her. Then again, with only 3 gears and 120 horses, stomping the pedal and leaving it there is the only way to get anything resembling power to come out of that car sometimes.

I rarely do it in my own car, I don't see much of a point with an automatic. It does exhibit an odd behavior that almost resembles VTEC, though the engine certainly doesn't have it, where the exhaust sound completely changes and the car "takes off" (as much as it can for a 4-cylinder) until the next upshift. It does this consistently, and it really does feel/sound like a second cam kicking in, even though I don't have one. Weird.

Didn't the later Twin Cam Cavys have a variable intake tract? If so...that would explain the "surge".

Originally Posted By: whip
I'm curious if the guys redlining their car every day are the same ones that complain about gas prices? It doesn't hurt anything, but it's not helping either. What's the point if you don't have to?

Exactly, maybe I'm missing something. For me to get a vehicle where I live to redline and keep it there for a few seconds I'd have to do it in first or second gear only. Traffic doesn't allow it, unless I want to go for a joy ride at 0300, then the police are a problem. There are no hills to climb on Long Island either that would require redline operation unless I'm towing something extremely big, but even then the hill would probably be no more than a 50 yard climb.
21.gif

On most vehicles WOT and redline are two different things. Unfortunately, you might have to WOT lot more often than reaching redline especially when there is lot of mass to move and not enough oomph in the engine.

For my Honda, I rarely redline. It's the weak transmission.

I am not very concerned about the engine. Redlined only a few times to speed up and avoid accident. Otherwise, urban traffic. Would have to redline in first or 2nd gear which is loud and annoying. Redline in some gears would get highly illegal speeds in the city. More to the point, every shift wears the transmission and increases ATF heat.

Downshift and valves move, the torque converter clutch disengages, unlocked torque converter slips and absorbs engine power and heats up ATF drastically, internal clutches disengage and engage. Some have clutch overlap. More power tends to loosen bearings inside the transmission which creates loud howling noise as the transmission shafts move sideways when they should only rotate. Weak oil flow, weak clutches, weak transmission case and loose bearings.

With the breakdown prone nature of the older Honda AT, I seldom stress it by redlining.

@ thrace - Downshifting in a Honda is a bad thing? Having owned a manual transmission for 10 years, I've been downshifting in my new Honda Civic whenever I come off the freeway or want to slow down without wasting brakes.

I redline my 2013 Honda Civic 1-2 times a week, usually on my 180 mile round trip to Los Angeles on the weekends. Although I don't do it all the time - tho redline on my Civic sounds a lot better than it did on my Sunfire, I usually get where I need to be by keeping it under 4k rpms. I've found that my AT Civic has tamed my driving considerably and my stress has gone down as well - I get 46mpg pretty easily and I get to watch all the stressed out idiots fight it in the fast lane and/or get pulled over in droves. That said, I love the sound of redlining it in the Honda
smile.gif
And yes, I know true power - my friend has a 2012 M3. Fun riding in that.

Back in college my sister and I had almost identical Honda Civic 1500 S's (the ones that came either black or red) both with 5 speed trannies. Hers had A/C, I put in a sunroof. Both maintained the same by me and Dad.

She babied hers a lot more and rarely broke 3500 rpm. I drove hers a couple times and it was like it hit brick wall at 3k. Mine had no power below 2500 rpm but then pulled hard and fast to redline.

We challenged each other at many intersections/lights. She ALWAYS had me off the line but part way through second gear was falling back. Just for laughs we switched cars a couple times and when I drove hers I beat her easily off the line but into second and she was pulling ahead. She commented how much easier mine revved and more fun to drive it was.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
On most vehicles WOT and redline are two different things. Unfortunately, you might have to WOT lot more often than reaching redline especially when there is lot of mass to move and not enough oomph in the engine.

What about in a turbo car like a Volvo
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Sequoiasoon
Back in college my sister and I had almost identical Honda Civic 1500 S's (the ones that came either black or red) both with 5 speed trannies. Hers had A/C, I put in a sunroof. Both maintained the same by me and Dad.

She babied hers a lot more and rarely broke 3500 rpm. I drove hers a couple times and it was like it hit brick wall at 3k. Mine had no power below 2500 rpm but then pulled hard and fast to redline.

We challenged each other at many intersections/lights. She ALWAYS had me off the line but part way through second gear was falling back. Just for laughs we switched cars a couple times and when I drove hers I beat her easily off the line but into second and she was pulling ahead. She commented how much easier mine revved and more fun to drive it was.

Long-live Seafoaming, (intake deposits cleaning, before everybody goes
39.gif
) and the ITU!
smile.gif

And how did you "install a sunroof?"

Who's complaining. Or was that that some kind of blanket statement that really applies to no one
I buy cars for the "smiles per gallon" so I don't really care what gas costs. Obviously I need it so that's that.
But if I can save a buck here and there I'm certainly in.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Who's complaining. Or was that that some kind of blanket statement that really applies to no one
I buy cars for the "smiles per gallon" so I don't really care what gas costs. Obviously I need it so that's that.

Exactly. Fuel economy and whether it uses premium are not criteria that I seriously consider when buying a car; if it isn't entertaining to drive it would just sit in the garage for weeks on end.

Originally Posted By: OriginHacker21
@ thrace - Downshifting in a Honda is a bad thing? Having owned a manual transmission for 10 years, I've been downshifting in my new Honda Civic whenever I come off the freeway or want to slow down without wasting brakes.

Brakes are cheap and easy to change, a clutch job, not so cheap and not so easy to change. JMO but I'd rather save the clutch and replace the brakes a little more often.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

It was directed at those who claim they red line their cars regularly, and then complain about the cost of gas in other threads. Yet somehow don't see the correlation of aggressive driving and poor economy. If you don't care about gas, it wasn't directed at you.

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
Long-live Seafoaming, (intake deposits cleaning, before everybody goes
39.gif
) and the ITU!
smile.gif

And how did you "install a sunroof?"
What is ITU?

Both vehicles had seafoaming done and probably Gumout carb cleaner as well as old school 3k oil changes.

Sunroof....check interior for braces/issues under headliner and drop liner, tape on the paper template, cover interior with drop cloth, drink beer
cheers3.gif
, grab drill and make pilot hole, grab jig saw with new blade and cut out on the line, file off burrs and vacuum filings, urethane windshield adhesive to seal and install/screw together as per directions, reassemble, drink more beer
10.gif

They were the old school, pop up on the rear only not slide back versions like this sunroof doctor pop up

It looked like this but also had tinted windows.

015drf.jpg

Last edited:
I suppose my driving would be considered boring to many (most?) of you. I have never redlined my vehicles. I rarely go beyond 3500 to 4K rpm. I am seeking the goal of obtaining the best fuel economy I can get without drastically changing my driving habits. My Saturn, with its 5 speed manual trans, is fun to drive, at least to me. I have never owned a high performance car. Like I said, boring. But it works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back